Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Most Outragous Praise You've heard about a game?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 147 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:20:00 AM PST
Honestly, it's fine if Flores wants to be a Playstationer instead of a gamer, I just wonder why he feels the need to say a Nintendo or MS product is bad. We KNOW Flores, you hate non-Sony video games, you don't have to keep telling us!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:20:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 11:22:25 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Agreed. Flores will like something non-Sony the day Dougie does. It just isn't going to happen. The only difference between Dougie and Flores, IMHO, one really is stupid and the other just acts like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:20:42 AM PST
No

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:21:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 11:22:10 AM PST
If you declare 10/10 to be "as good as can conceivably be expected," then you've already undermined your own credibility, because if there's one thing we can take from history, it's that we always find things that exceed our current conceptions of limits. If 10/10 is "as good as conceivably be expected," then you absolutely have to allow for >10/10.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:22:28 AM PST
Well, "As good can be conceivably expected" is actually a moving goal post, since as more games of superlative quality come out, your expectations naturally increase.

So the meaning of the score changes over time (which is why, for instance, it's easier to get a 10/10 for a game early in a generation.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:23:29 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Isn't that the mark of a truly great game? So good it actually raises the bar?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:23:41 AM PST
I agree with this, I've just decided that for myself I won't think of anything as a 10/10, because I always want to think the next one could be even better!

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 11:24:40 AM PST
Prankster says:
DVvM makes me think too much. It's hurting my brain. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:35:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 11:36:37 AM PST
If you have a moving goal post as the limit of "goodness," then you've similarly undermined your credibility, because all your past judgments become meaningless every time you award a 10/10 to a game better than previous 10/10s.

I know how much you hate absolutes, but arbitrary scales of judgment are largely worthless without some sense of an absolute limit, even if it's an arbitrary one. Which is why awarding 10/10s is patently ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:42:43 AM PST
At some point you can't really compare the quality of games. I love Costume Quest. I love Fallout: New Vegas. Can I compare them to see which is better? No, and doing so wouldn't be a valid use of my time.

I think if you have a reviewing scale with a maximum score, you can give multiple things the maximum score without comparing their relative qualities. I mean, if you write a paper for class and you get an A, it might not be better than other papers that receive an A. Does your professor suffer a lapse in credibility since the scale is insufficiently granular?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:44:09 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
This.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:45:07 AM PST
Lucanus says:
You are taking this way too seriously.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:46:23 AM PST
FOGE says:
Yeah, this irritates me. Everyone says how glitchy Fallout New Vegas is but 90% of the glitches were fixed a month later and pretty much all were fixed shortly after.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 11:48:30 AM PST
Killzone 2 will put Call of Duty and Halo to shame

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:49:04 AM PST
FOGE says:
"I've seen some THINGS!!!.... and some STUFF!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:50:15 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I always thought MMORPGs were kind of a dynamic type game. They could almost get a major review every year. WoW now is nothing like it was a few years ago and even further different from when it was first started.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 12:00:18 PM PST
M. McFly says:
GTA4 I guess this doesn't fall into the most outrages category but its was outrages that no reviewer had the stones NOT to give it a perfect score, it was far from perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 12:03:34 PM PST
Rockstar, apparently, is notoriously vicious in pandering, pressuring, and perhaps even engaging in ethically shady quid pro quos for scores.

There was one example of a GTA4 review where the reviewer gave the game a 9/10, but the editors changed it to a 10/10.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 12:07:59 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
LOL, this use to crack me up. Who was it that said this? Fryfat?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 12:10:16 PM PST
You need to leave now....NOW!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 12:14:55 PM PST
If memory serves, it was this over-the-top Nintendo fanboy who frequented the Wii forums for a while. I think he went by Dubi Alon and then changed his handle to Jack Coffee at some point.

He was a special snowflake.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 12:15:46 PM PST
FOGE says:
They made the editor an offer he couldnt refuse.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 12:15:50 PM PST
G-Love says:
I personally can never understand why FFVII is considered one of the best videogames of all time. Is it good? Absolutely! But, in my opinion, it isn't even close to one of the best games I've ever played.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 12:16:21 PM PST
No, they just changed it without his permission or knowledge.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 1:39:55 PM PST
Does that mean he was only five sided?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  147
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions