Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Obama's speech last night in CT...thoughts? Opinions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 512 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:38:54 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Ooh, did you just turn this discussion philosophical and metaphysical? That would be very interesting to read.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:39:47 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Why?

Because I think culture has an impact on real world outcomes?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:40:03 AM PST
Soulshine says:
A professionally diagnosed mental illness? I don't know that they've gotten down to those details yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:40:30 AM PST
Like I said I grew up in the Bronx. I know this isn't directed at me but to claim that the only people who could feel that way about guns are people who haven't witnessed crime or lost someone is insulting. At the age of 11 I watched one of my brother's best friends get shot in the neck with a shotgun. He was still alive for awhile even though his head wasn't really held on by much. That was the first of many friends I lost. Many.

And you know what? At no point did I think "man I need to get a gun to protect myself".

So who is the "victim to be" and who is the slave?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:40:36 AM PST
If someone I loved was killed by a gun, I wouldn't want a gun. I would find the person and personally choke the life out of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:40:59 AM PST
Beau H. says:
It most certainly does.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:41:04 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
No ammo should be allowed to be brought into the range, must be purchased at the range and used there ( any excess credited). They do this with other sport already, like paintball...why not a deadly weapon?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:42:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:43:25 AM PST
Beau H. says:
Well, I'm sorry for your loss.

If you choose not to get a gun to defend yourself, that's your right.

However, I choose to exercise my right to defend myself with a gun, so I won't be the victim.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:43:06 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
And I knew a kid, whose brother is married to my sister's best friend, that blew his brain out in High School. Tragedies happen and they suck and people need to be responsible when owning a gun.

But that kid would have killed himself even if he didn't have access to that gun, and murder would still happen, and crazy people would still kill the innocent.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:43:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:44:13 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Anybody familiar with the famous quote: An eye for eye makes the whole world blind. I feel liking guns everywhere is kind of what this famous person who drove an entire nation out India with zero violence is talking about. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:44:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:44:34 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
That is their problem, it is their hobbie and not quite a cute one at that. They could be shooting rubber pellets.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:44:14 AM PST
Beau H. says:
Until they shot you dead before you could even get your hands around their throat?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:44:20 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Sure!

I was going to start listing real evildoers, like The Shredder and Cobra Commander and Skeletor, but your idea sounds better.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:44:48 AM PST
"Tragedies happen and they suck and people need to be responsible when owning a gun."

Except you just said that we can't even be trusted to FEED OURSELVES. Hence the obesity statement. So why should we trust the general public with guns?

"But that kid would have killed himself even if he didn't have access to that gun, and murder would still happen, and crazy people would still kill the innocent."

That's a ridiculous statement. In most cases a few minutes to stop and think about something can prevent loss of life.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:45:00 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Well, if you could only buy ammo at the range then owning a gun outside of the range would be pointless.

So what are you arguing for?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:45:31 AM PST
Totido says:
Any responsible gun owner should have weapons locked and secured. This woman may be part of the blame.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:45:55 AM PST
FOGE says:
That won't stop these events. Say you can't take more than 20 rounds home like suggested. You would just take 20 rounds home every week. After 10 weeks you'd have accumulated 200 rounds. I know everyone wants to stop these attacks but I don't think gun control is the answer. People always find ways to get around the law if they are going to commit crimes. I think the best start to fixing the problem is looking at mental health issues. Sounds like it was known that this guy was not completely right in the head. I am also open to the idea of having to take a psychological test to buy a gun.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:46:48 AM PST
Lame. You are lame.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:47:35 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
You completely misread everything I write.

I simply said, we are a different culture, we have different norms and we respond to the world differently because of it. A gun in our hand, like a cheeseburger, will get us different outcomes than a gun, or burger, in the hand of someone from a different culture.

So people wouldn't kill other people if they didn't have access to guns?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:47:38 AM PST
FOGE says:
I haven't heard but perhaps she did. Maybe he knew the code by watching her or maybe she gave it to him.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:48:05 AM PST
Beau H. says:
The SCOTUS addressed that exact issue in Heller and declared it unconstitutional.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:48:27 AM PST
Beau H. says:
So, the truth is lame? Gotcha'

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:49:44 AM PST
Oh boy, now we get the "truth".

Let's assume something like the "truth" was a real thing, it would not be lame. You, however, will continue to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:50:18 AM PST
Beau H. says:
Okay, I'm not really sure what that means. But, whatever.

Is this Oskar?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:51:13 AM PST
I don't think he said that. He said you couldn't bring your own ammo to a range implying you can buy your own for personal use elsewhere and buy the ranges to use at that establishment. Again, like paintball.

Yes it is true that some prices at ranges will go up just because they can hopefully the free market will keep that price in check from getting out of hand.

Back to the point, this is so ammo can be properly tracked. If someone is stock piling enough ammo to start WWIII that might be something that should be known.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  512
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions