Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Former Squaresoft boss calls Square Enix merger a "complete failure" with "no vision"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 10, 2012 6:39:02 PM PST
J. Arthur says:
It is hard for me to see the merger as anything other than a disaster. They have not made a decent FF game since X and most of the spinoffs that they have created for the series have been pitiful (exceptions being Type-0 and Crisis Core). I think Dragon Quest has fared better (IX was a huge hit on the DS). The fact that Dragon Quest continues to succeed, I believe, has more to do with the fact that Square Enix elected not to change the formula that makes the game great (we will see how X does in the MMORPG format).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 12:51:19 PM PST
That's a tough one, Daft. They use "dollars" as well so I guess you have to say "can I use currency from the United States of America." That's just...awkward. Most other countries refer to people from the States as "Americans" so it's not a problem with your protocol :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 12:37:19 PM PST
Anthony says:
made a typo. put a period after apparently instead of a comma. which kind of completely changes the meaning of the post, lol.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:56:26 AM PST
You want to hear something strange? I went to Canada several years ago and I got some dirty looks when I asked if I could spend American money in a store. Apparently, the consider themselves American because they are in North America. I wasn't going to buy that, however. They care about the environment WAY too much to be American. Of course, with the way they had their side of Niagra done up, there were giving it a shot with the gaudy decorations. Think Disney Land.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:41:36 AM PST
DVvM says:
Bioware's always been a Canadian company, so do they not make WRPGs now?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:35:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 12:35:58 PM PST
Anthony says:
apparently, only america counts as "western" now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:27:03 AM PST
Yea it can be a little costly but I tend to fly around blowing crap up at random and attacking the military bases so I can build up cash pretty quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:26:41 AM PST
DVvM says:
Typically North America and Europe are referred to as "the west", so studios in Montreal, London, and Denmark are Western studios.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:17:08 AM PST
Possibly, but Hitman is by the Danish and since we all know how evil the Danish are, the others are guilty(or eastern) by association.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:16:46 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
They are definitely not Japanese.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:14:23 AM PST
neu Tron says:
Aren't the Canadian and European studios still considered part of the West when referring to the world's regions?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:12:36 AM PST
Western games, lol.

DE:HR made by Eidos Montreal
Sleeping Dogs made by Square Enix London Studios and United Front Games
Hitman: Absolution made by IO Interactive(A Danish company)
Tomb Raider which has Lara Croft who obviously is from the UK from her accent.

Western games, indeed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:09:57 AM PST
I've been impressed with Sega. They've had their ups and downs, but we've also gotten games like Sonic Generations, Sonic & Sega's All-Stars Racing (the sequel is also looking good), Binary Domain, Valkyria Chronicles, etc. Then they've had Vanquish, Bayonetta, Madworld, Resonance of Fate, etc. on the publishing side.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:07:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 11:07:54 AM PST
neu Tron says:
From Software and Platinum are the two that stand out. But I agree that the old giants don't wield the might they once did.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 11:03:38 AM PST
DVvM says:
Well, how many Japanese developers period have really made great HD console games this generation? Square Enix, Capcom, Namco, Sega, etc. have all struggled to produce those "next gen" games this generation.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:01:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 11:07:36 AM PST
It's odd that Square's best games these days are western games (Deus Ex: HR, Sleeping Dogs, possibly Hitman: Absolution and Tomb Raider).

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:54:21 AM PST
I just have a good time parachuting off of/out of everything. Plus, explosions are pretty.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:50:31 AM PST
Do you find that stuff is a little expensive? It seems like I'm always running low on cash.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:47:06 AM PST
I did just enough of it to get access to the delivery chopper and I was good lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:46:10 AM PST
Wait...there's a story? O_O

Lol. Yeah I haven't touched the stupid story. Something about a dictator, I think. Who cares.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:45:03 AM PST
Technosapien says:
I think SE is awesome. My favorite game of all-time is an SE game (FFXII), and I think XIII and XIII-2 are great games that are very worthy of the FF name. And like Keji said; they brought us DE:HR and Sleeping Dogs, 2 of my favorites of this gen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:43:36 AM PST
I absolutely love Just Cause 2, I've got it on the PS3 and PC actually. Haven't played much of the story because I'm content to just run around doing whatever the hell I feel like. I've been trying to get in on the multiplayer beta for the PC but so far no luck.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:37:16 AM PST
They do seem to have an good track record publishing third party stuff. Did you play Just Cause 2, Keji? It's a terrific "blow @#$% up" sandbox game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:32:53 AM PST
Well at least they can make good purchase decisions then because they need something going for them.

I've pretty much given up on Final Fantasy at this point and after those first couple of months where colors aren't nearly as bright things really aren't that bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:29:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 10:34:28 AM PST
DVvM says:
Deus EX: HR was under development before Square acquired Eidos though (it was Eidos Montreal's first project and the studio opened in 2007), and Sleeping Dogs was almost entirely finished under the aegis of Activision until Activision cancelled the project and Squeenix bought the rights (and changed the title from "True Crime: Hong Kong".)

So they can buy things that are good, sure, but how well does that really reflect on them?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions