Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

IGN Wii U unboxing video. "This is the first home console to come with an HDMI cable.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:08:41 AM PST
Nicos says:
lol i just call garbage games as i see them lol

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:29:19 AM PST
Well for that price it could come with an actual controller as well and I wouldn't complain..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:27:17 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Thats is where i get my cables, no problem with any thus far.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:26:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 9:27:01 AM PST
Lucanus says:
LOL, I don't recall saying all cables are built the same. But at the end of the day HDMI is an industry standard, MS was late to the party in adoption. I believe the 360 should easily have launched with HDMI. Component was last generation, given it is what I used for my GC, ps2 and xbox. Agree to disagree.

Tell your brother to shop at Monoprice.com

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:18:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 9:28:34 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I'm not rejecting that it isn't superior for bandwidth or practicality.

However, the 360 didn't incarnate as a Bluray player to sell televisions, and component has enough bandwidth to do anything the 360 needs to do as an HD console and and HD streamer.

Your argument about signal loss is not significant when : 1) all cables are not built the same and 2) component is still used by professional installers for distances longer than HDMI can handle due to the input and output circuitry on either end of that cable reaching a 'digital cliff', 3) analog input circuitry in component video chain actually stabilizes signal loss on the other end thru amplitude....laws of resistance. Component remains a very robust means , it is limited mainly by HDCP in high def content.

At very long distances, HDMI cables need to be of better construction as well.

Heck my brother just bought a 12 foot HDMI cable from amazon to use for Steam Big Picture that is useless and full of video artifacts. Not all cables are built the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:58:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 9:00:05 AM PST
Lucanus says:
My upscaling DVD player was HDMI. There was no doubt HDMI was the future, MS should have launched with HDMI support. The ps3 should include HDMI cables and the Wii should have been 720p with HDMI. Sorry, but that is how I see it.

Not quite true. Analog cables such as component lose signal over distance, not like digital. With HDMI I don't have to worry about shielding, resistance, etc. HDMI is clearly superior.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:55:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 8:57:51 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
So you were an early adopter of HDMI when there was not a single product that offered the means to enjoy new audio codecs or true HD media? Pat yourself in the back i guess.

As it stands, in 2012...you can get everything you can possibly get from a 360 with component cables. So this cable just has multiple connectors on each end rather than 1 for the same result. Woopiddy.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:44:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 8:46:06 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I am late to the party, but is Mayo saying the 360 was justified for launching without HDMI? I have to disagree *if* that is the case. HDMI was on it's way in and we all knew back in 2005 it was the future. My HDTV at the time had two HDMI inputs, my receiver 3.

I also don't get how Sony was pushing 1080p on the ps3 and bluray, but didn't include HDMI cables, that made no sense.

The Wii not having HDMI was flat out stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:42:12 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Blasphemy. The PS2 and Gamecube were garbage consoles for not supplying a DVI cable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:39:14 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Mayo, get your logic out of here. It makes way too much sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:33:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 8:36:32 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
And i had bought a 46" Sony HDTV projection television in mid '04 with a single DVI input.

LCD's didn't surpass CRT sales until '07.

Not everyone ran out and bought an HDMI TV when the console released. '05 was the era when there was zilch HDTV cable content, HD DVD and BD were prepping a content war that didn't get underway until late '06 , and the market was pumping out out upconverting DVD players for the new display technologies.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:27:35 AM PST
R. Typo says:
Look at all of yous Nancies gettin your panties soaked over an hdmi cable.

Listen girls, never spread for anything less than a movie and Mickeedees.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:22:48 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I went out and bought an HDTV 2 weeks before I got my Xbox 360 back in 2005, and it was Best Buy's store brand, Insignia, and it came with 1 HDMI port.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:14:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 8:37:19 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Took until 2007, for 90% of digital telivisions sold to have HDMI. For a console released in 2005, likely prototyped and set for production the year before that...it didn't make sense for the 360. I was happy it came with component, as i didn't own anything with HDMI until late '07 but i had HD capability.

The PS3 a year later though was a must, as Sony was in the HDTV, format and HDCP (high-bandwidth digital copyright protection) business ...the reason HDMI exists:P

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:43:30 AM PST
Lucanus says:
LMAO, yeah that is pretty much spot on.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:30:02 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
That's nice my original $400.00 launch 20GB Xbox 360 Pro model didn't even come with a HDMI port, let alone a damn cable.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:19:48 AM PST
Bionix01 says:
ya when i saw that i was like WHAT?!?!@?!?!?!?!? my elite came with an HDMI

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:58:03 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
I suppose I now know why MS decided to cut HDMI cables out of the initial sale box. When your MS branded HDMI cable costs up to $18 dollars more than just about every other cable out there, you've got to cut costs...

Microsoft Xbox 360 Black HDMI Cable (Retail Packaging)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:52:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 6:56:26 AM PST
I. Flores says:
My point is that when it comes to cutting corners, Nintendo is no different.
See my post above yours

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:50:51 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Yeah and they're as common as dirt now - still no cables included. Your point?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:48:32 AM PST
I. Flores says:
>>That's just the kind of company Nintendo is.<<

And yet, the pack-in game that came with the Wii I got this year (NSMB) came inside a cardboard sleeve.
Go figure.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:07:30 AM PST
I'm glad Nintendo is willing to put up with the Flores' and Nicos' of the world, I love their games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:35:28 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Ugh, sometimes it's hard to associate with other people who share this hobby. If Nintendo didn't put an HDMI cable in the box they would be receiving so much flak for it, and when they do put one in the box, they receive so much flak for it. Why anyone would want to be in this industry is beyond me. Lose/Lose

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:33:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 5:33:23 AM PST
...Nintendo is the first to include one of these?

Yay, I can save my $3.47 for something else now!

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:31:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 5:32:00 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
And GTA IV is regarded as the best GTA of all time with review scores to back it up. Doesn't change the fact that it was largely boring and a chore to play and it was a stripped down version of the awesomeness that is San Andreas.

Popular opinion isn't always right.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions