Why Pro Gamers Don¡¯t Play Call of Duty

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 54 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:34:22 PM PST
I don't watch e-sports.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:29:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 1:32:41 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
See that still applies that other sports. A lot of us don't have enough time with all the life obligations and when we do have time, we could go watch a basketball game on TV/stadium or go play a game at the local courts. You're perfectly capable of playing a sport you love as well I'm sure....unless you have a physical handicap, then I'd understand.

The point here is that when you're watching you're appreciating the pro-player/gamer's skills which they trained hard for and because the average Joe, doesn't have the time practicing to achieve their lvl of excellence we find it entertainment just by watching.

Edit: or what ISO said, think he explains it better. Like, even if I trained for 12 hours a day for 5 years I still dont' think I have the precision or reflect to take out a pro SSF4 player. Man, this year at PAX I saw a pro SSF4 player and I chickened out challenging her to a game. I should've.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:24:17 PM PST
Eh, I like to watch gameplay footage from time to time... I wouldn't pay for it, but I can see the draw...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:23:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 1:25:14 PM PST
Iso says:
The issue you are having is the fact that we are told there are those gifted physically, and it is blatantly obvious. At the same time, we are told mentally we are all on the same level playing field which is absolute bull. To be a pro gamer means on the fly calculations and lighting quick reflexes.

Not everyone can do that.

I think my respect though has come from playing League of Legends. A few times I have gone against Diamond ranked players, and that was some of the most rediculously good playing I have ever seen. I know that I am a very capable person, but I do not even think I could ever reach that point without some serious dedication. And even then, I don't know if I could ever be in the top few.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:22:15 PM PST
Ah, I see. Perhaps I don't have the proper appreciation of the things that they do. And by "I'm going to play the games myself" I mean I have not nearly enough gaming time as it is, and I never get enough gaming in. I'm not going to squander those precious minutes watching someone else do something that I love and am perfectly capable of doing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:18:18 PM PST
Hell yes, I just don't get it I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:17:44 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
"My issue is watching someone else play video games"
You're watching the game not the player itself, thats the only difference here. Pro sports, yes the players are the ones playing the game while the pro-gamer, they're controlling the characters in the game. Thats the only difference I see.

" of the time I have that is video game related, I'm not going to watch some nerd play on YouTube or whatever, I'm going to play those games myself"
Like Emu mentioned, you could play basketball yourself easily enough as well instead of watching on TV/game.

"If I could play in the NFL, I'd be playing those games instead of watching them too. "
I think I remember you're a SSF4 player, you could play SSF4 yourself, but how well would you do against a pro player at EVO? Also, do you play as flawlessly as pro gamers? Hitting those 1 frame combos? Can you pull off every amazing combos they do? This is the the reason I watch, cause some of those combos they pull off are amazing and it is not something I can do myself.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:16:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 1:19:46 PM PST
Soulshine says:
All this talk of "pro gamers" reminded me of a roommate from college. He had mentioned that he he worked at some video game place where they held tournaments and he talked about his Halo "clan", but I didn't understand the depth of his sickness until I walked in on him one day. There he was, in a darkened dorm room, playing Halo by himself. Multiplayer - but by himself. "What was he doing?" you might ask. Well, he was running around in a map. Aiming and practicing jumps. Aiming some more. At this point I'm sure he had memorized all the item locations and spawn points, so all he could do was run around aiming. It was really weird.

On top of that, he was smelly. Way to perpetuate the stereotype, freshman roommate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:15:31 PM PST
You are absolutely right... But someone is paying to watch and that is really all a pro gamer would care about... If I could be getting paid to play, I certainly would... Wouldn't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:09:48 PM PST
I mean you can be a pro at anything people will pay you to do, so there is no real argument there. My issue is watching someone else play video games, of the time I have that is video game related, I'm not going to watch some nerd play on YouTube or whatever, I'm going to play those games myself!

If I could play in the NFL, I'd be playing those games instead of watching them too.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:07:24 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
A pro basket ball player trains to be a good basketball player.
A pro game players trans to be a good game player.

Are we determining if its pro or not by the amount of physical exertion? The amount of sweat?
Are pro golf players considered atheletes?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:06:25 PM PST
The Splendid Sitter

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:05:05 PM PST
Agreed. What's the point of sports anyways?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:00:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 1:00:46 PM PST
Ice King says:
You should see me watch a movie. It's like a work of art. I watch the hell out of those movies, and I don't even make a sound while doing it.
Some have called me the Mickey Mantle of sitting on my ass and looking at things.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:56:19 PM PST
I can see there is a connection, of course. Some people have more skill at something than others, I mean there are pro poker players for god's sake. But to insinuate that playing a video game is in any way at the same level as pro sports is nonsense. It's like having a pro book reading tournament or a pro movie watching tournament, sure you can read a book real good, but that don't make you an athlete.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:51:08 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, Call of Duty isn't really designed to be especially well balanced. It's designed to be fun, easy to approach, and addictive. If it was actually well balanced it would heavily favor skill and would be much less popular.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:47:06 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I honestly don't understand how you don't see the connection. Just because you can play Halo online with a moderate amount of success does not mean you can come even close to performing on the level of participants in these gaming competitions. Similar to how someone could play basketball and do well at the pickup games at a park near them, but not be anywhere near the level of the players in the NBA.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:42:40 PM PST
This has gone very Doug, I better stop.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:41:54 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Watching someone else play sports is fine IF (and this is a 72pt font IF) you have literally nothing else to do with your time and your equipment is broken and balls deflated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:38:18 PM PST
I think the point I was trying to make is that it's literally impossible for me to do what the guys in the NFL do. It is not literally impossible for me to do what nerds do, since I already qualify.

Watching someone else play video games is fine IF (and this is a 72pt font IF) you have literally nothing else to do with your time and your consoles and computer are broken.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:29:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 12:30:27 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
I liked how the whole thing went down. JWong put into losers by Vangeif then Gamerbee eliminated him with a character that JWong was saying its its crap prior to EVO. When GB won it was almost like he won EVO or something.

Edit: +1 for that emu kid.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:27:55 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I can't get a ton of TV's, consoles, a venue, and thousands of people to stream a feed together at any point ever. However, I can totally walk down to the local courts and play basketball. I'm pretty good, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:27:04 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
Cool story bro, tell it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:26:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 12:26:42 PM PST
Benpachi says:
That was pretty amazing, dude came out of nowhere and totally owned people with Adon. I'll never forget his match with JWong.

P4:A would be cool too, I'd like to see what the pros can do in that game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:26:23 PM PST
Ice King says:
That's what I meant. I was saying that I don't even like to watch sports and I can't do that on my own. I'm perfectly capable of playing video games so to watch someone else do that makes no sense.
Even if they're better than me, I don't care about watching someone else play them.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions