Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Summary of today's Nintendo Direct

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 4:17:38 AM PST
Saw this on GAF. Posting this here for those who work at places with constipated Internet connections but credit goes to GAF, specifically cvxfreak.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=499761

Parental Controls

- Nintendo realizes that some parents may fear that their children may use the Wii U's internet functionality without permission. Wii U has Parental Controls. - Can restrict content based on user age, CERO (Japan ESRB) rating, internet functionality, internet browser, e-Shop spending, Miiverse functionality, friend registrations, videos, data management, internet settings - Wii U keyboard input can save user input habits and predictive input in a specific database that depends on the game and user. Wii U does not save input data that you don't want other users to know into the database. - Miiverse settings can be turned on/off depending on the save profiles per game.

USB Data Storage

- 8GB = 7.2GB, 32GB = 29GB in terms of actual save data. Wii U uses around 4.2GB when using the system for the first time. - NSMBU is ~2GB, Nintendo Land is ~3.2GB. So, both won't fit into the Basic set at the same time. - Wii U lets you put data onto a connected USB media drive. - One USB drive at a time only. - Cannot disconnect the external drive while plugged into the Wii U and receiving power. - You can use general drives. - In terms of powering the HDD while connecting to the Wii U, if you do not use a Y Cable Type drive (2 USB cables), then Nintendo cannot guarantee it will work properly. - Nintendo can guarantee functionality if the HDD plugs into a power outlet. - No games on USB Flash Memory due to gamesnotrunningproperlyallthetime (whatever this means...) - Wii U will read up to 2TB only for external hard drives - In Data Management, you must format the connected media drive. Note that this means you cannot use the drive with a PC. - You can move data from internal Wii U storage to external USB media in Data Management and vice versa. Data on both internal and external media will appear in the menu. - At launch, only 1 USB hard drive can be connected, but through a future update, more than 1 will be possible and you will be able to move data between them freely. - SD Cards can hold PC data, Wii Virtual Console, Wii Ware, and Wii save data, but cannot be used to save Wii U game save data.

Backwards Compatibility

- Wii games, Virtual Console, Wii Ware stuff cannot be played using the GamePad screen, but only on the TV in Wii Mode - Iwata: "We understand that there are people who were looking forward to playing Wii games, Virtual Console games, and so forth on the GamePad, but unfortunately we cannot accommodate those users' expectations." - There are plans for a Wii U Virtual Console that WILL be compatible with the Wii U GamePad. Please look forward to it in the future.

Nintendo Network Premium

- For Premium Set buyers only - Point service - Make Nintendo Network ID, then login to find and user the service - After logging in, you can see the points you have earned - Buy with download card or download number - Earn 10% back on purchases - Earn back purchase points in ¥500 increments - Points earned can be used with Wii U/3DS e-Shop, Wii Shopping Channel, DSi Shop

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:20:33 AM PST
Aku says:
"No games on USB Flash Memory due to gamesnotrunningproperlyallthetime"

WHAT THE BLOODY HELL, NINTENDO?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:44:12 AM PST
Keller says:
I don't get what they mean by NSMBU being 2 gb and Nintendoland being 3.2 gb. Does the U have mandatory installs like the ps3? Optional like the 360? Or are those games available for download? Color me confused.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:50:01 AM PST
R. Greer says:
What is a Y connected external usb? I am confused also.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:52:35 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
No flash drive support? That blows. I was counting on using my 16 gigger for the Wii U. I'm not going to be buying an external any time this year so hopefully the 32gb will suffice.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:05:09 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
"You can move data from internal Wii U storage to external USB media in Data Management and vice versa. Data on both internal and external media will appear in the menu"

So I can take all my friends games and install them onto my hard drive and play for free?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:10:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 6:12:38 AM PST
Keller says:
The U requires a HDD to be formatted via the U before it can be used. I am positive the HDD locks into the serial number of the U that does the formatting..... meaning the drive will only work on that particular U. Nintendo isn't that stupid.

I really don't like what Nintendo did with the storage situation. I'd much rather have a larger system with a standard laptop HDD with 120 gb or more. 29 gb after formatting and 4 gb U OS leaves me with 25 gb useable, that is laughable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:37:07 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
So my hard drive is kaput after I hook it up to my Wii U? I can't use my hard drive if my Wii U breaks and I buy another one? Or if I have multiple consoles in the house?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:41:41 AM PST
R. Greer says:
Does anone have a link to the nintendo direct......preferably youtube?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:46:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 6:47:38 AM PST
Keller says:
No idea on the details, but Nintendo has stated the U has to format the HDD and it CANNOT be used on a PC after that. Hence why I think it locks into the serial number of the console. I would guess you could format two HDDs and just have a backup in case the first goes kaput. In terms of using one HDD on more than one console, doubtful. To this day Nintendo still doesn't allow for VC games to work on more than one Wii.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:46:27 AM PST
Keller says:
WiiUdaily.com has a video.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:47:29 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
That's stupid.

I know there's a lot of love for the Wii U, but more and more as details come out I am hesitant of even thinking of purchasing one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:48:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 6:50:37 AM PST
Keller says:
I agree. In terms of hardware I can't stand Nintendo. They do the dumbest crap. Nintendo is lucky I am a sucker for their software. This is why I was shocked when so many people were getting external drives for their U purchases. Nintendo will absolutely limit what we can do. I am sticking with my internal storage for now. I have a 60 gb laptop external drive that I will use just for backup purposes.

Anybody figure out why Nintendo has NSMBU listed as 2 gb? Mandatory install? Optional? Available for download?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:55:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 6:59:03 AM PST
LOLZ. Im glad I wasnt hanging on the WiiU as my console of choice and pending my hopes on Nintendo doing/learning something from the 7gen. Nintendo may or not care since they are actually getting [some of] my money [now] this time around. But LMAO

On a more serious note....this is something that PS4 [maybe] and for sure NxBx will be doing?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:58:02 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Not liking this storage nonsense at all.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:13:27 AM PST
Jack Pacini says:
This is completely stupid. PS3 lets you DL & play on two consoles. Xbox let's you DL & play on any console you are signed in to as far as I know (but only the purchasing console will allow others to play without you). Why doesn't Nintendo link our downloadable purchases to our account, not the console, like everybody else?

My original 3DS was destroyed to the point of non-functionality, the 3DS XL came out and I got one (and it is now kept under lock & key from destructive little hands). Only to find out in order to play the games on the SD card from my old one I would have to transfer them over the internet with the original console. WTF?! Why? if I have a cartridge game I can still use it on my replacement. Why can't I use the Nintendo formatted SD card with my legit Nintendo eShop purchases in my replacement Nintendo console that I paid full retail for? Something doesn't add up here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:18:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 7:20:09 AM PST
Keller says:
Sony and MS both have universal ID systems via PSN/XBL. Nintendo doesn't. This is a problem. Too bad Nintendo doesn't seem to care. I don't know about the 3DS, but with the Wii, if you got a new system and called them, they would get your VC games to transfer over. I am actually surprised Nintendo is letting people transfer VC games from the Wii to the U.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:23:15 AM PST
I am guessing it is mandatory install. The only reason why I am hesistant to say that is that the review places that already have the system would have already mentioned that. Or at least I would like to believe they would.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:23:45 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I love Nintendo.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:40:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 7:41:20 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm pretty sure mandatory installs would have been broken by now in the media. I'm guessing they are digital sizes. There is no way that there would be a mandatory install for NSMBU of 2gb.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:42:28 AM PST
I like this storage solution and I don't all at once. I like being able to use SD cards and such but I wish the console came with a larger HDD inside already. Why can't I have both? Yes I want to have my cake and eat it too damn it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:42:59 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Because of $349.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:44:06 AM PST
I just punched those numbers into my calculator and I did not get a smiley face.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:02:31 AM PST
Keller says:
I tend to agree. Not too mention mandatory installs on a 8 gb base system would be beyond silly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:03:35 AM PST
Keller says:
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't a 120 gb standard HDD cheaper than 32 gb flash? Nintendo, IMHO, should have followed Sony's lead and went with 2.5 inch internal storage, user upgradable.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions