Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dishonored is now a franchise

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 60 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 5:02:50 AM PST
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/28/bethesda-talk-up-dishonoreds-sales/

Bethesda talk up Dishonored's sales: "we clearly have a new franchise"
Comments 20 Phil Savage at 10:15am November 28 2012

Bethesda sound rather pleased with their sneaky, stabby new frontman Corvo. Speaking to Destructoid, the publisher's VP of PR Pete Hines, said that with Dishonored, "we clearly have a new franchise."

"I can tell you that Dishonored is far exceeding our sales expectations, which is especially cool considering it's new IP facing a host of well-established franchises this quarter," Pete said. "We did terrific numbers again this past weekend, both in stores and on Steam, where Dishonored was listed as the #1 selling title over the holiday weekend. And Dishonored has really sold well overseas."

"So, we're very pleased and appreciate all the fans that have supported Dishonored and Arkane. We clearly have a new franchise."

Not that they released those sales fingers, mind, choosing instead to keep them hidden in a secret cubby-hole, behind a revolving bookcase that's opened by pulling out the book Corporate Espionage for Dummies.

So, successful game in possible sequel shocker. While it's not the most surprising news, it's still nice to see that a game as well-crafted and flexible as Dishonored is finding a substantial audience. What would you like to see in the follow-up? Personally I'm hoping for a series of sidequests in which you try to cause the biggest accident possible by blinking into a room and startling everyone. And a button that makes Corvo throw his hands in the air and shout "surprise!"

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:04:16 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
being $25 on black friday weekend had to be a huge sales boost

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:05:00 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Should have launched at $25 if the game selling for $25 was such a boon to create a franchise.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:05:32 AM PST
Brilliant news.
Always cool to see good games doing well.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:14:24 AM PST
klopas says:
That's good news, but I'm not sure that I'd like to see Corvo's story continued. Maybe another hero(ine) could take his place in a Dishonored sequel. I thought the game tied everything up rather nicely at the end.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:14:50 AM PST
Nicos says:
oh boy. Totally looking forward to Dishonored Kart Racing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:34:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 5:42:42 AM PST
They don't have to do a direct sequel, but they'd be fools to not make another game in that universe. As an example: all of the TES games exist in the same universe, but none are direct sequels with the same protaganists.

As far as the price point goes, that's old news. The guys at Valve showed that a long time ago with their sales. They make more money selling some games at $15-$20 (huge sales) in a day than they make on the same game for $40-$50 in the months before the sale. Very few games make their money at the higher price points.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:38:45 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Well that's good.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:44:53 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
$25 on Thanksgiving and all the way through Monday certainly had nothing to do with it...

If that game remained at 59.99, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:49:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 5:49:21 AM PST
Discounts and pricedrops are part of every game's sales, do you have a point you're trying to make?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:49:59 AM PST
I bought it on launch. I think most of the people I know that have it bought it on launch. It sold pretty well I thought.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:50:55 AM PST
FOGE says:
Thank God a good original title got the appreciation it deserved. Very excited to try this game out and really looking forward to more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:50:59 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Don't get your hopes up when your game sales boost when the game is 50-60% off for 3 days. A lot of games, if not all, do the same thing.

In fact, this article tells me more about what people want prices at...People won't buy new at 60, but they will at 25-29.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:51:38 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Pretty much everyone on the VGF bought this game over BF lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:55:26 AM PST
According to the NPD, Dishonored sold 460,000 units in October and that only counts boxed sales. I'd consider that excellent for a brand new IP during its release month.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/08/npd-dishonored-sold-460k-in-october-xcom-hit-114k/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:56:07 AM PST
klopas says:
I bought it at launch too, along with XCOM. I believe GMG was offering nice discounts - I don't know anybody who buys games for $60+tax these days.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:58:41 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Oh good! I bought that on Friday. I get the feeling this is my kind of game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:59:18 AM PST
Based on the 2 and a half hours I played last night I'm glad another game is in the pipe...or that the producers at least realized the game is pipe worthy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:00:28 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Well it all depends on how much they spent on the game in total (dev, man hours, advertisement, etc).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:03:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:03:39 AM PST
I'm guessing it's good compared to the game's costs considering the publishers have come right out and said it's a success.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:04:39 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
I guess we won't know until we see some kind of profit margin vs the other. I have it on my shelf ready to be played when I have time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:05:56 AM PST
FOGE says:
All I know is Im glad they are laying pipe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:17:44 AM PST
Mel says:
cool

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:22:40 AM PST
An awesome game. Honestly, one of the most focused games I have ever played. Just fantastic.

I will pay full price for the next one.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:28:05 AM PST
Even with the Black Friday sales, I still didn't buy this game. I'll probably pick this up in 2 or 3 years when it goes below 10 bucks.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions