Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

WYP? What's Your Position? - Do Graphics Matter Anymore?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2013 7:55:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 8:35:22 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
!!!! POLL DOWN BELOW !!!
Please Read The Editorial Then Post And Leave Your Vote - Thank You Kindly

When it comes to video games, the industry has made leaps and bounds when it comes to hardware capabilities, and software often ends up matching that. Games today are significantly more complex, especially when it comes to graphics. It's possible to render nearly lifelike games in high-definition on massive screens, and game developers and publishers have been trying to turn stunning visuals into cash for quite some time.

Unfortunately, the gaming industry's focus on graphics is misplaced. Graphics don't mean that much when it comes to how enjoyable a game is. Sure, bad graphics can detract from an otherwise enjoyable game, but not nearly as much as bad writing and gameplay can detract from bad graphics.

Let's hop in the Wayback Machine for a moment. Think about older eight-bit arcade style games, like "Pong", "Pac-Man" and "Super Mario Bros". These games were fun, even though they lack the same graphical advancement that we have today. Here's the interesting thing: they still hold up as fun games today. One of my friend's favorite iPhone games is a copy of "Pac-Man: Championship Edition". Even after 20 or 30 years from their original launch, these classic arcade titles still work as great games.

Of course, that's not to say that graphics are worthless. Some of my favorite games of the past several years, like "Portal", "Bioshock" and "Assassin's Creed 2″ are graphical marvels, and their beauty added to my enjoyment of the game. Getting to experience Rapture in high definition was stunning and added to my immersion in the world around me.

At the same time, graphical successes didn't necessarily equate to decent gameplay. The public reception of "Crysis 2" seems to bear all of those hallmarks: the game itself required the latest and greatest in hardware, and received massive amounts of hype for its graphics engine. The gameplay, however, didn't hold up to all the visual bells and whistles. Infinity Ward's "Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3″ falls into the same category: the game itself was gorgeous, showing off the HD chops of a new generation of consoles, but suffered from bad controls, a bad story, mediocre voice acting and generally not-fun gameplay.

For comparison, consider "Minecraft": Marcus "Notch" Persson's brilliant open-world sandbox construction game. It is selling over the moon, with no real advertising budget, and wasn't even out of beta before moving a million copies. It's captivated the hearts and minds of many gamers and commentators alike. But its graphics look like something out of a SNES or Nintendo 64. It's a ridiculously fun game that many been captivated by for quite some time, and there many more just waiting to experience it as well, though they may not know it yet.

Minecraft is the perfect example of the importance of fun gameplay over good graphics. It's not that people are playing the game despite the outdated graphics engine, it's that they're playing it because it's just so much fun. The same thing goes for older games: they hold up over time because of their overall quality rather than how spiffy their graphics look. I'd rather make another run through the original "Half-Life" than suffer through some of the pretty but unplayable fare that gamemakers have put out in recent years.

Here's the problem with valuing graphics over gameplay: a realistic-looking game means nothing if the other important components of the game aren't in place. Gameplay and story are what developers should be focusing on. When it comes to making a meaningful work that will have a positive impact, it doesn't matter how realistic the graphics look. As someone who plays video games, I don't need a realistic-looking character. I would much rather have a character whose personality and behaviors are realistic than just look at a pretty face.

Let's face it: good graphics are enjoyable fluff. They can add to immersion and make the visual spectacle of a game more enjoyable. The only thing they can't do is make a game fun; a game that is realistic in its portrayal of reality isn't quite what gaming was when it began. That's where good writing and gameplay come in. So now it comes down to the people who make them to decide what they want to do: are they content with making games that look pretty but don't have much to them, or are they going to actually try to push this medium forward?

Credit goes to: Yaman1999, Archimedies123, Defiler Da' Man, Sentral Intel and Zen Kiazoku (Me)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the link to a video basically summing up this entire piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg9vQne6K9c

The name of the YouTube user is Archimedies123 and in this video he tries to explain why he believes that graphics don't matter anymore and probably never will again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the latest entry of my WYP? (What's Your Position?) series of forum posts. Brought to you fresh and piping hot from another online forum. Should you choose to participate, please attach one of the following to your post. Also please choose only ONE (1) that BEST describes your feelings on the subject matter. Only one vote per account.

Thank You.

VOTE: Eye candy? Moar. Please!
VOTE: I'd prefer a boost in storytelling.
VOTE: Give me more complex AI.
VOTE: General game-play improvements are fine by me.
VOTE: Game visuals are right where they need to be.
VOTE: I prefer old school visuals. Retro if you will.
VOTE: When they get to CGI movie quality, I'll be satisfied.
VOTE: Give me more game-play (control) options, that's enough to mix it up.
VOTE: A balanced game is the game for me, AI/visuals,writing,control in perfect harmony.
VOTE: When I look outside then look at my games, I shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 7:57:10 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
((((((((((((*******************)))))))))))))
------------------LAIR------------------------

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 7:57:16 PM PST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 8:07:58 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Awesome video, nail on the head. Hell I even subscribed to him.

I assume that puts you in the: (VOTE: A balanced game is the game for me, AI/visuals,writing,control in perfect harmony) party?

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:10:10 PM PST
Zak Iarih says:
VOTE: A balanced game is the game for me, AI/visuals,writing,control in perfect harmony.

My choice

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 8:23:58 PM PST
Extra Credits is an excellent show. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 8:29:16 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
I will, thank you.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:30:32 PM PST
Yes and no.
I don't really buy a game if the graphics arent good but most games these days looks really good.
But some games have amazing graphics and terrible gameplay(crysis1-3).

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:30:34 PM PST
UziHorowitz says:
Not really. The only thing that bothers me is when games run at sub-720p. Upscaling usually makes a pretty game look grainy and muddy.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:32:58 PM PST
DVvM says:
As long as it looks good, I could hardly care less about graphics.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 8:33:44 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Crysis has terrible gameplay?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 8:38:34 PM PST
I think crysis 1-3 play terrible.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:42:59 PM PST
aidenraine says:
graphics are the icing on a cake. it can either enhance or detract from the overall experience, but it's not the most important part. unless you wanna be like one of those weird people who sticks their finger in the icing container and just eats the icing. you weirdo.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:44:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 8:45:05 PM PST
Prankster says:
Crysis 2 was an alright game even gameplay wise for me. People have these fixed expectations of how they want a game to be which is alright in a way but it leads to unfair criticism.

Graphics should always be secondary to gameplay though. In any case, I find the balance in games to be pretty great right now. Give me games like Uncharted, Arkham City, Max Payne 3, Skyrim which have great graphics along with great gameplay and story. That being said, graphics should be a part of plans as well. I don't want devs to create a game without good visuals if they do have the scope and capability to do so.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:47:57 PM PST
I wantz moar of evrethang

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 9:06:24 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:35:39 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 9:08:57 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
So what game can you say has better gameplay than Crysis? I am curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 9:09:54 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:35:39 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 9:20:28 PM PST
saskamazon says:

given that my first home 'console' was the original Pong, everything looks pretty darn good to me these days ... now that I can finally enjoy Nintendo in glorious HD, what more could they really do ? I want the package, but gameplay & story matter the most ... I loved replaying the old Marios on the 3DS from the VC ... even if they don't compare to the likes of Trine visually.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 9:41:23 PM PST
quinten488 says:
Mario Kart Wii sold 30 million copies, no one really cares about graphics.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 10:19:09 PM PST
Im sorry but when I buy a new console im expecting some type of graphical upgrade

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 10:55:34 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I loved the gameplay and story of Assassins Creed II, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that half the time I just looked around and explored how beautifully all the cities were created. I'm not sure that it would've awed me as much if the graphics were poor.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 3:30:00 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
If Graphics don't matter....whats the point of buying new $400 boxes? Gimmicks?

Graphical upgrades are part of the evolution of gaming. Gaming will always evolve, so they go hand and hand and are every bit as important as other factors(which frankly have not evolved nearly as much in decades)

That is developers fault on the creative side, and no they are not held back because of a focus for more pixels. Those two can co-exist, they've always have.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 3:38:27 AM PST
Gameresq says:
I did not even own a HDTV until a few weeks ago, so no, graphics are not a priority for me

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 7:40:11 AM PST
jSten says:
Frame rate is a part of graphics which I'd say matters a lot in twitch-heavy games. If the frame rate is too low, I'll disable or turn down stuff until I get something I'm satisfied with.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Nutzu, why haven't you posted about the 80 year old man who shot the pregnant thief in the back? 169 2 seconds ago
The Last of Us: Remastered features higher quality shadows at 30fps than 60fps 7 15 seconds ago
Crytek Says It's in a "Transitional Phase," Responds to Reports of Financial Troubles 1 23 seconds ago
Weekend recap and weekly gaming - week of 7/21 157 1 minute ago
OT: I'm ready for some beers... 152 1 minute ago
OT: Bunch O Balloons: 100 Water Balloons in Less Than 1 Minute 2 2 minutes ago
Tears to Tiara coming to PS3 on October 14, 2014! 20 5 minutes ago
OT: Man, Taylor Swift is Attractive. 28 6 minutes ago
New Pixeljunk game coming to PS4! 1 12 minutes ago
Do you prefer to play as your own sex in a game? 100 13 minutes ago
Ouya is what we need 7 19 minutes ago
Teenage son discovers his deceased father's ghost car in Xbox rally game 9 22 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions