Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Bioware Finally Reveals Female Turians...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2012 5:32:30 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
And they're actually pretty cool looking.

http://www.themarysue.com/hey-mass-effect-official-female-turians/

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 5:56:07 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
Apparently someone is a Turian Misogynist.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 5:58:05 PM PST
Looks cool actually.

Is this for upcoming DLC?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:00:26 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
Yeah, the Omega DLC features her.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:01:51 PM PST
I haven't tried any of the DLC yet. Too many other games to work on.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:03:34 PM PST
Meanwhile, we reached out to DvVM for comment and all we got back was a "Squeeeeeeee!"

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:10:16 PM PST
aidenraine says:
so you can tell them apart the same way you tell humans apart.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:16:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 6:18:33 PM PST
K Archer says:
TBH, I think they could have done a bit better (the quote "We usually try to avoid the females because what do you do with a female Turian? Do you give her breasts? What do you do? Do you put lipstick on her?" does feel like an incredibly dumb thing to say, and like the article says it is their job to answer that well)

Also aren't the Taurians based a bit more on reptiles then other races? Many reptiles don't generally have obvious differences between the genders, I believe...I know a few species of lizards the males have parts specifically to attract mates (everyone knows the iguana) but I know there are a good number of reptiles where the females are the bigger ones...

EDIT: Specifically, the cheekbones/mouth area looks wrong; its too human-like. I think that part should definitely have looked more like the males face does (with the plates and all).

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 6:51:18 PM PST
I'd hit it.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:12:43 PM PST
Meatwad says:
Dayum. They are pretty.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:15:24 PM PST
I agree with your edit completely. I think it looks especially weird in the eyes. It almost looks like a human wearing a Turian mask, because apparently female Turian's wear more eyeliner than Taylor Swift... And its distracting that they have human eyes. I wish that they had the same beady little black eyes that the male Turians, like Garrus, have.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:24:19 PM PST
DVvM says:
Actually, I have to say I would have preferred female Turians looking and sounding exactly like male ones.

I mean, Turian society is this militaristic sorta-meritocracy that's more or less egalitarian. Yet of the dozens of Turians we've encountered so far, not a one has been female. Not wandering around on the Citadel, not serving in defense of Palaven, nothing.

If some of the Turians we thought were male don't turn out to actually be female, where exactly were they keeping them? Presumably Turians are about 50/50 in terms of males/females (unlike, say Salarians which are more than 20:1 male to female.)

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:27:09 PM PST
Harmicky says:
"...unlike, say Salarians which are more than 20:1 male to female."

That is a depressing level of Cock Blocking [Explicit]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:32:30 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, Salarians don't have a hormone driven sex drive. If I recall correctly, females just lay eggs periodically, and if not fertilized, the embryos in those eggs develop into male Salarians. Only when a male Salarian and a female Salarian breed are females produced, and since neither males nor females are really driven to do this biologically so the impetus to produce females is cultural and transactional (though, one wonders how Salarians developed to the point where they could collectively intellectually decide to preserve the species.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:37:11 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
in the kitchen

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:47:39 PM PST
Harmicky says:
The nerdforce is strong in you. This is good.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:57:08 PM PST
Am I the only one who finds it weird that they are just now getting around to this with the DLC? I mean it wasn't like the Turians played a massive role in Mass Effect 3 or anything right? Hell we even saw a female Krogan during the game and they were on their way out. I'm glad they are expanding upon these things but it just seems weird that this in DLC like this and wasn't part of the main game, especially when the Turians were losing to the Reapers and throwing everything they had at them and not a single female was seen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:22:04 PM PST
I agree. For such a meritocracy, we should have seen them by now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:43:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 8:44:51 PM PST
K Archer says:
If males and females were to look and sound the same (or really similar) then no...but we know now they're not, so...yeah, its a complete screw-up on Bioware's part.

EDIT: Worded differently, same meaning

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:47:42 PM PST
DVvM says:
I really hope that in the final, ultimate, super edition of the Mass Effect trilogy (due on next gen consoles some time) they go back and change the models/voices for some of the random Turians so that they're female.

Since this needs fixing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:49:52 PM PST
Yea I thought they were supposed to look and sound the same as well.

At first I got excited over the thought of Garrus maybe having a sister but then I realized nothing would fill that hole in my heart...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:53:31 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
If you check the Turians, their face appears to be all bony plates, and you can actually see the eyes like that on the males as well. They're just a little more pronounced in her case.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:54:02 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, they did state in a previous game that females had less prominent crests.

Which is true, but they could have made it subtler so that we didn't *know* we hadn't seen a female Turian before.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:56:29 PM PST
K Archer says:
Honestly, this does feel lazy, maybe like its them trying to either get guys all excited for a new "good-looking" female alien or try to appeal to the women gaming.

Its just not right; its so late in the games (and after the whole "female-less" Taurian plot-line) that adding them now just doesn't seem like an innocent "oops, we forgot something so here" move.

Unless they do something where these females look differently due to some really weird (and bad overall) genetic deformity (like with the Asari) this addition just does not make sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:59:38 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, the Asari don't have a weird genetic deformity, they just don't have different sexes. They're all feminine because they're all female (in the sense that each of them can bear children.)

We're probably pretty comfortable with some species in the Mass Effect universe not displaying sexual dimorphism (do we really need to believe that female Hanar look different than male Hanar to sapient lifeforms who are not themselves Hanar?), so why not Turians?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions