Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Which game should I play first if I get them for Christmas?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 9, 2012 8:24:16 PM PST
Choices:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
Kirby: Return to Dreamland (Wii)
Xenoblade Chronicles(Wii)
No More Heroes (Wii)
Okami(Wii)
Uncharted 3(Playstation 3)
Batman: Arkham City (Playstation 3)

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 8:24:48 PM PST
KrisCo says:
Batman.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 8:31:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 8:31:28 PM PST
new Tron says:
Those are some good games.

Although Xenoblade is my favorite game on your list, I'd also recommend Batman because its so amazing and can be completed in a reasonable amount of time.

You should get Okami from PSN instead of on Wii.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:34:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 8:53:23 PM PST
Super Mario Galaxy is the best game on that list IMO. You should also play the sequel, which is better in every way except story and impact. Metroid Prime 3 is probably the worst, but still enjoyable. You should check out the prime trilogy collection instead since you get all 3 prime games with updated visuals and motion controls in one disc along with bonuses. Uncharted 3, Zelda, and Xenoblade are also incredible. I have Okami out of PSN, but I haven't played it yet. I personally didn't like Arkham Asylum very much, so I didn't bother with the sequel.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:35:44 PM PST
I have smg2 already.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:36:35 PM PST
gotcha

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 8:40:30 PM PST
Awesome list of games dood and you can't go wrong with any of them really.

Batman would be first because it can beaten within a decent amount of time (around 15 hours from my two runs through it). Mario Galaxy is definitely up there though it will take some time to get through however because it doesn't have a strong story it is one you can play in junction with something else. Prime 3 and Skyward Sword have lenghty campaigns so keep that in mind before starting them and they aren't really games you want to take breaks between because you'll come back and go "Wait... What was I doing and where am I supposed to be going?"

Kirby: Return to Dreamland is like Galaxy, one you can play while going through something else though from what I understand it is best to play with a friend.

Uncharted 3 is another one like Batman which can be completed in a decent amount of time and won't dominant your life for weeks on end unless you're big on multiplayer.

Okami is up there with Skyward Sword in terms of length and depth; make sure that is your main focus when playing basically. Same goes for Xenoblade Chronicles which is a great RPG I only just recently got into.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is on the same level as Mario Galaxy, a great game but one you don't have to focus in on mainly.

No More Heroes I can't really comment on because I haven't played before but I know it has a decent a story but doesn't require the amount of focus like Skyward Sword, Xenoblade, or others require.

If you get any of these you should be quite the happy camper though.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 8:57:56 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:00:24 PM PST
I have good memory so taking a break in Zelda and Metroid and forgetting what I am doing won't be an issue for me.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 9:00:45 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 9:02:32 PM PST
Batman. It's an awesome game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:04:31 PM PST
It's just a suggestion lol, I have a bad habit of taking really long breaks from games like that and then I come back wondering what the heck I was up to unless I left off right after a dungeon or something.

Either way though you've got a great list of games there and I hope you have a blast playing through some or all of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:08:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 9:08:43 PM PST
Funny thing is I originally hated Galaxy. Keep in mind this is 10 - 11 year old me. I gave it another chance and I love it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:10:43 PM PST
UNACCEPTABRU!!!!

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 9:12:47 PM PST
Who downvoted my Batman suggestion? Up yours man. I don't hat on Galaxy, but just for that, I'm going to now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:14:16 PM PST
"Who downvoted my Batman suggestion? Up yours man. I don't hat on Galaxy, but just for that, I'm going to now."

DOOD I UPVOTED YOU XD

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:15:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 2:53:41 PM PST
Lol, I said that I was dumber a few years ago. Then I forgave the difficulty after I sold it and rented it from Gamefly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:22:47 PM PST
Galaxy is a great game from a level design aspect though story wise it sucks plus I didn't care for the hub world either. But each level on their own is just awesome and how well it makes use of the Wii's hardware. Even compared to the PS3 and 360 I think those graphics are rather impressive and how innovative the team got in teams of puzzles and level design was just amazing. It isn't hard to see how some would look at it and not like what they find but if you're looking for a challenge and a good time Galaxy 1 and 2 are awesome games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:26:28 PM PST
"Galaxy is a great game from a level design aspect though story wise it sucks plus I didn't care for the hub world either."

*Sniffle* I loved both of those aspects of the game. The hub world's music was incredibly delightful. Hell, the entire soundtracks for Galaxy 1 and w2 are some of the best ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:29:50 PM PST
Oh man I loved the soundtrack but the hub world overall never grabbed me like it did with Delfino Plaza or Peach's Castle in Super Mario 64. I vastly preferred the over world concept from Galaxy 2 in all honesty.

I still love both games immensely but I wish Nintendo had gone with a world map instead of a hub in Galaxy 1. I really dug the story book aspect though of Galaxy 1.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:31:22 PM PST
Aah, I gotcha.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:32:49 PM PST
I don't why, easily the best game on that list and one of the best games this gen(IMO).

This message has been approved by the Hyrulian Honor Guard.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:33:56 PM PST
Keyword: "IMO"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 9:43:17 PM PST
I think the aspect I didn't like most about the hub world from Galaxy was how you had access to the whole thing right out the gate but they just blacked out the sections you couldn't get into levels through. Part of the joy of Super Mario 64 and Delfino Plaza (to a lesser extent) was accessing areas you couldn't before and feeling like the hub area was growing whether that be through opening new areas or abilities Mario gained throughout his adventure.

The hub world in Galaxy 1 just felt small and uninspired in my opinion compared to earlier entries in the Mario world.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 11:40:14 PM PST
Joshua C says:
I'm surprised no one has said this yet.

Lair.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions