Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Samsung unveils OLED tv that lets two people watch different shows at the same time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2013 6:30:50 PM PST
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/samsung-oled-tv-will-let-two-viewers-watch-two-shows-1B7872324

It's a trick of the technology: TVs based on organic light emitting diode tech, a.k.a. OLED, are 1,000 times faster than today's LCD TVs. It's so fast that it can show two different shows to two different people - at full 1080p resolution - simply by flickering back and forth between them.

It's kinda like how 3-D works now: You wear special glasses, and the TV shows your left-eye view, then your right-eye view, and back again. Only there can be issues: Some 3-D types only manage half resolution, others can have problems like "cross talk," images that leak from one view to the other.

Take it one step further: One entire show can be sent to a person wearing glasses that both show the "left-eye view," and another entire show can be sent to the person wearing the "right-eye view." Both people who violently hate each other's programming can be happy, especially since the glasses that Samsung promises will have earbuds. (They will not, as far as we know, also include a coupon for marital counseling - but maybe, with this rig, you finally won't need it.)

This is a statement to the power of OLED, and will be awesome when it arrives. But while LG has promised to bring its 55-inch OLED TV to the U.S. for $12,000 starting in March, Samsung won't tell us when OLED will be a commercial reality anywhere in the world.

When NBC News asked H.S. Kim, head of Samsung's display division, what the hold up was, he cited the tremendous expectations consumers have for OLED. The company wants to get it right before it ships, and while it is improving, it's not ready.

When the TV finally hits the market, expect it to be in the same price range as LG's. In other words, that MultiView may go a ways in helping smooth over any lingering incompatibilities with your mate ... but spending that much on a TV probably won't. Either way, we'll keep you posted when it launches.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:53:20 PM PST
I. Flores says:
People that could afford to get this are better off getting two separate TV screens.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:56:13 PM PST
Steve Madden says:
My first and possibly only question: would it allow my wife to be able to watch TV while I play a game on the same TV? If so, that's brilliant. I'll start harvesting organs--err, saving up right away.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:01:28 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
Yes, I don't see why it wouldn't. If you want to understand it check this http://video.mit.edu/watch/polarization-light-waves-rainbows-and-cheap-sunglasses-9010/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:11:07 PM PST
Presumably.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 8:20:16 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:31 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:26:14 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 9:06:16 PM PST
K Archer says:
I can see a greater use for this for married couples and people living together(going along with what Steve Madden asked)...they have one "good" TV that both want to use for their shows/games but only one can use it (and there's a good chance they don't want to see the other's program/game), so only one gets to use the "good" TV, the other has to use a "bad" (lesser) TV. And you have the inevitable fight over who gets to use which TV and all...

Yeah, for normal people spending time together, it isn't that good. But I can see a big market for people living together...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:01:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 4:01:50 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
We are so close to optical, stealth camouflage!

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 4:23:18 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Ummm...Sony did this about 2 years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:31:16 AM PST
I don't recall seeing an OLED Tv from Sony that lets two people watch different shows at the same time.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:14:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 6:16:08 AM PST
Keller says:
Umm, wow... what about sound though? Does it play 2 separate audio tracks at the same time through headsets? Talk about interacting with other people in the room, watching a completely different show with ears cuffed with speakers. I am starting to think Wall-E wasn't a movie, but a prophecy. I must be getting old because this age of PSN/XBL/Twitter/Facebook "social" world just seems lame. When I want to watch a movie with somebody, I don't put on XBL and virtually watch a movie with them. I actually have them over and we talk/discuss, have popcorn and a few drinks. Same goes for gaming. Oh well, times are moving forward apparently without me. :)

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:19:38 AM PST
Soulshine says:
If next -gen systems support this stuff then maybe any MP can be "local MP".

2 people, 2 profiles, one console, one TV.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:20:19 AM PST
Mel says:
good for japanese homes the size of a bathroom

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:23:05 AM PST
SMH says:
I had a Vizio about 5 years ago that would allow me to do this. It had a PIP that allowed me to draw from different inputs. Come to think of it, pretty much the only thing it COULDN'T do was watch two shows at the same time haha

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:30:30 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:32 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:32:56 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:34:29 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
It's cool that OLED is finally starting to be made available on large-screen TV's. Yes, it's $12,000, but it's a start!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:38:28 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:42:22 AM PST
I. Flores says:
I'm sure he was talking about this:

PlayStation 3D display

Not OLED, but same gimmick on the simultaneous screen viewing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:42:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 7:43:36 AM PST
Keller says:
Sure, but the sound would have to be connected to the TV for it to work? Some have everything wired to a AV Receiver, which means I don't think the audio would work. Not sure, honestly I don't care much either, this product isn't aimed at me. But thanks for the quote. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:44:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 7:44:51 AM PST
I. Flores says:
Sony announced yesterday a 65in OLED 4K screen. I kept drooling about it until I imagined the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:49:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 7:51:00 AM PST
Keller says:
LOL. I am with you on the OLED, but 4k is silly at best on a 65 inch HDTV. I don't get the industry push behind 4k. The percent of people who actually need it are so minor in the grand scheme of things. 4k is for at least 80 inches and that is being generous. Mathematically it is more like 100 inches. That aside, OLED looks fantastic, I can't wait. Oh and Sony also said they are going to remaster some bluray movies.... they won't be 4k, but better than normal 1080p bluray movies. I find this to be a horrible move. If companies keep making people feel like the stuff they just bought is outdated, I think many will stop supporting tech all together, though some how this isn't the case with Apple. So how knows. How is your day going FLores? :)

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:51:19 AM PST
I. Flores says:
Beautiful day so far, keller. Thanks for asking! I appreciate it very much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:52:24 AM PST
Keller says:
No problem. Life is all about stopping and smelling the flowers. People rush too much, we should take time out of our day to appreciate each other. :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions