Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Gloves for keeping hands warm during gaming?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 31, 2012 12:36:57 AM PST
So this might initially seem like an odd place to post a discussion about gloves, but since I'm looking for gaming gloves, specifically for use with keyboard and mouse and occasionally an Xbox 360 controller, I figure it would be best to ask here.

While it's not all that cold in my bedroom, where I do the majority of my gaming, my hands and especially my fingers get so cold at times that it actually becomes difficult to type.

I've tried exercises to improve circulation, but with little improvement. I need gloves that will keep my fingers warm without impeding my sense of touch or ability to type too much (basically i just need to be able to feel the protrusions on the "F" and "J" keys, as well as those on my Razer Naga sidekeys, so I know where keys are without having to look).

It seems all those USB heated gloves I've seen around are finger-less. I've tried regular, non-heated finger-less gloves in the past, hoping the warmth provided to my palms would radiate to my fingers, but didn't have any such luck. While finger-less would be ideal for typing, I'm not sure the heat pad on the palm/backhand would keep my fingers warm. Before trying them out I would appreciate some opinions and suggestions on any alternatives. Also, on my budget I'd prefer to buy them as cheap as possible, and since all the cheap ones seem to ship from China I would like to know if they're even worthwhile before committing to a 2-4 week (or longer) delivery estimate.

Also, my hands are somewhat large, just under 10" measured by the method shown here http://www.grandoesports.com/sizehelp.php. So I would especially appreciate a point towards such gloves that are available in either XL or one-size-fits-all. Though as stated above, I already have poor circulation to my hands anyway, so I don't think it'll make much difference if it's a snug fit, as long as it's possible to fit in my hand in the first place.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:39:54 AM PST
Riyoshi says:
Have you tried bicycle-gloves? they're usually really thin at the fingertips and have these stuffings at the palm for a better grip which could keep the hands warm too i guess. (pretty strange topic btw :p)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:41:18 AM PST
Joshua C says:
The heated gloves don't heat just the palm/back of your hand, the heat radiates. A friend of mine has the same issue, he bought heated fingerless gloves, no more problems.

http://www.xoxide.com/usb-warming-gloves.html?gclid=CJL4-rqfxLQCFegWMgodM0cA_w

Those are the specific ones that he picked up.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:42:48 AM PST
Try USB heat warmer. ^_^

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170960547290&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=65917971347

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:17:31 AM PST
Heh I know kind a curve ball to throw in the video games forum. I haven't tried bicycle gloves. I'll look around and see if I come across any that look like a good fit. Thanks for the suggestion

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:18:30 AM PST
Thanks. I've seen that pair around here and there but it was one of those ones I wasn't sure about. Good to get confirmation on their quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:22:46 AM PST
As silly as that looks, I'm interested. The pictures and description aren't all that informative, though. Is it a mousepad with a built-in heater that covers the hand? Or is the cover the part that's heated, and the bottom is left open? I could see the former being somewhat restricting, but the latter would work pretty well, I think. Only I'd need one for each hand.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 1:31:20 AM PST
Joshua C says:
Blue Fish USB Heated Mouse Pad / Hand Warmer

Looks like the pad itself is heated, and the cover is there to keep the heat in.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 2:59:47 AM PST
Try turning the thermostat up a degree or two. If you can't do that, buy a heater.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 3:24:40 AM PST
The problem with that is that it's only my extremities that get cold. I keep my toes warm by wrapping a blanket around my feet four or five times over. For the rest of my body, head and legs especially, the temperature in my room is comfortable, and turning up the thermostat usually makes me want to strip down to my boxers and shave all my hair off. It's a very strange and confusing condition... frustrating at times, too.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 3:31:19 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2013 7:32:21 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 3:43:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 3:43:59 AM PST
My office is extremely cold. My old PC tower used to heat it up for me, but the newer tower keeps the rig too cold to be of any use. After about 30-60 minutes I sometimes need to get up and do some exercises to get my blood flowing, otherwise my hands start to go numb from the cold.

I found wearing thicker shirts and/or fingerless gloves that cover your palm *and* wrist help more than just fingerless gloves covering your palm. When your body senses heat loss, it draws blood inwards towards your core to keep you warm. If you can keep your entire body warm, it won't pull heat away from your extremities. Just because you feel warm other than your core, doesn't necessarily mean your body is warm enough. Your body is reacting to the cold to keep your internal temperature up.

I picked up a pair of fleece pants and a sweatshirt that I've been wearing when I game. If it gets cold enough, I'll even toss a hat on.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 3:56:40 AM PST
Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I decided to get one of the finger-less usb gloves like the one Joshua C linked, except I opted for a brand called "e-warmer" that uses a Lycra fabric instead of Wool. In case anyone's curious, http://dx.com/p/usb-heated-warm-gloves-black-pair-49072

Hope they're as good as those 5-star reviews suggest :)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 5:47:16 AM PST
Lasko 754200 Ceramic Heater with Adjustable Thermostat

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 5:51:37 AM PST
How cold is your place? Turn up the heat!

Or if you are determined to go glove just get some biker or exercise gloves, really any fingerless glove should work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 5:54:02 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:19 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 6:18:17 AM PST
Iso says:
LOL, and I complain because my laptop sends out extreme amounts of heat. I never even thought this was a thing...

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 6:21:09 AM PST
Mom's basement is really cold this time of year, I'm guessing.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 6:22:21 AM PST
I don't know that much about playing games...but how can you feel what you're doing with gloves on???

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 6:25:02 AM PST
Iso says:
Well, depending on the glove it can feel really good. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 7:40:25 AM PST
No glove, no love.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 7:42:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 7:42:57 AM PST
"I don't know that much about playing games..."
Bittersweet I could have swore you were a gamer? NO?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 7:44:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 9:08:15 AM PST
YEP!!! Well NOPE!!!...But i do know how to keep my hands warm!!!

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 7:52:33 AM PST
Have you tried turning heat on? Buy a $20 heater and put it near you. Boom, problem solved.

Good thing I went to school to be a rocket scientist or these problems would never get figured out.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 8:11:37 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 13, 2013 3:03:46 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 8, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions