Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now Tikes
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

returning amazon bought games to target

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 120 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2009 3:32:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2009 3:34:13 PM PST
Tony M. Page says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 3:33:27 PM PST
I cant imagine that working but if it does more power to you

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2009 3:37:24 PM PST
Why not just buy it from Target, then return the one from Amazon when it does arrive? Amazon always accepts returns as long as you don't open it.

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 3:38:37 PM PST
as long as you bought the same versions of the game there shouldnt be a problem ... i think for the most part upc codes are item specific and not store specific but the problem could be if amazons are different from brick and mortar stores ...

plus i sincerely doubt that anything purchased on amazon would actually take 2 full weeks to ship unless the person/store you bought it from is jerking you around

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 3:39:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2009 3:44:22 PM PST
Tony M. Page says:
Because it will cost 59.99 at Target, and I only paid 30.99 on Amazon. So if I just return the Amazon one they will only give me 30.99 back.
And to TheDoctorJesus, I bought it on the 16th (pre-ordered) and it isnt scheduled to ship until Monday the 23rd. Amazon says the earliest it will arrive is the 2nd of December.

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 3:40:48 PM PST
Futzbucket says:
Wouldn't it be easier to just rent the game?

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 3:43:01 PM PST
Melacanth says:
Dude just wait, have patience young grasshopper.

Posted on Nov 21, 2009 7:49:16 AM PST
UPC codes will probably be different. Typically major retailers get different UPC codes for situations like this - and for specials offered "exclusively through Wal-Mart...or Best Buy...ect).

Posted on Nov 21, 2009 8:15:31 AM PST
I've done that, but with Amazon and Barnes and Noble. It may be a little unethical and I wouldn't have done it if the situation had been different, but yes, it does work.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2009 5:11:44 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 2, 2010 3:14:21 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2009 5:13:20 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 2, 2010 3:14:21 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 8:28:28 AM PST
^^^that it..I've done this at gamestop...

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 8:46:11 AM PST
terribledeli says:
So when retail stores modify and adjust their return policies to make legitimate returns that more difficult...we know who to thank.

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 9:15:34 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
It costs $59.99 at Target and only $30.99 at Amazon. So, if you return it to Target, they'll give you $59.99 back, and that would constitute an illegal activity...fraud. Furthermore, even if it's unopened, Target requires a Target receipt in order to accept returns.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 9:23:14 AM PST
Also wanted to add that **MOST** of the time, the shipping estimates are exaggerated. More often then not, you'll receive the product within 3-4 days...

Patience, simple patience.

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 9:48:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2009 9:50:07 AM PST
Return it, as long as it is the same product and the same UPC it won't be an issue. He will have a reciept as he did in fact purchase the game at Target just a different copy, you won't be cheating Target out of any money as you paid 59.99 for the game and returning it for that. I did this at Walmart wasn't a problem. As long as you are not hibtual about returning items most stores won't have an issue with this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 10:07:41 AM PST
Mom2mz says:
target will only allow you one return a year without a reciept. Even if it is a target brand item (like baby socks) They have the worst return rate of any major store!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 10:09:44 AM PST
You will be cheating Target. Target has sales figures ect. that returns throw off. ALSO, the fact that Amazon has less overhead that Target allows for Amazon to sell cheaper than Target (at the cost of having to wait for the product). There are many reasons that this situation DOES constitute as fraud, that may not be so obvious.

Again, will one person cause massive damage? Of course not, but encouraging this is plain wrong and if more people conduct this type of action it does cause damages passed on to the consumers.

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 10:28:05 AM PST
yea I wouldn't do it every game release or anything, but you aren't really stealing money from anyone...if anything they'll draw interest on your 59.99 you loan them for a week or two until you return the 'amazon' copy, and they'll still have a brand-new unopened copy to sale... so they'll come out better in the ha.

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 11:03:38 AM PST
Kiharris says:
I don't understand the big deal. He is going to return the exact same game, how is this "cheating" target? They will turm around ans sell it again for $59.99!!! It will not have been opened or played.....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 11:10:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2009 11:23:29 AM PST
On a single, individual basis it would be, for the most part, no harm no foul. You're right. Lets expand the picture a little.

Simplified version: 40 other customers decide to do the same thing. Target orders 40 copies of the product. They sell out, therefore ordering another 40 copies (possibly more). All of the sudden, there is an influx of returns, and now Target is stuck with 80 copies. They go on to sell only 20...

EDIT: This can be expanded to a form of theft as well. Say a legitmate customer comes in wanting the product, only to find it sold out. Therefore, Target has now lost a sale.

THIS is just one example, over simplified of how this damages a company.

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 11:31:45 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I'm with most everyone-don't do it. It's unethical at best. Possibly also illegal. And what's the big deal? Play it when it gets to you (quite possibly sooner than the estimate). Play something else in the mean time. Or rent it in the mean time if you have to play it now as one person mentioned.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 2:36:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2009 2:43:24 PM PST
Kinetic says:
Yes that would work. I've done stuff like that before when better deals have popped up. So long as the copy you're returning is unopened and it's within the return/exchange period they'll take it. Games aren't like systems where they each have a unique serial number, and there's no way for the store to tell where you bought it.

Edit: I wouldn't call it unethical either. It isn't like you're pirating the game or anything here, you get your game on time, target gets their copy back to resell. I don't see the harm in it, and if they want to move more copies overall, they need to price things more competitively with other stores.

Double edit: I used to work in electronics at Target too, they don't really care so long as it's new and you have your receipt. What they do care about is when you try this with big ticket items, or boxes for big ticket items that are only filled with bricks (yes that happened).

Posted on Nov 22, 2009 3:04:44 PM PST
betsyrina says:
Tony, I hate to say it, but I think that just by the fact that you asked the question, you already know that it is unethical at best, and that you wanted people to tell you that it was okay, so that you could justify doing it in your mind. I agree with the majority of people here, you should just wait...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 4:01:12 PM PST
Kinetic says:
I really don't get why this is "unethical". It isn't piracy, and if everyone in the nation did it at once, maybe, maybe it would hurt the company as a whole. But it's just incredibly impractical to do this often enough to make a dent in overall sales figures. When I say impractical, I mean to the person doing it. There is nothing to gain by constantly doing this. In fact, it's a huge pain and soaks up a ton of money (although you get it back later). Here's a hypothetical break down:

1: You order the game for say, $40 new. $20 off preorder bonus on Amazon. Free shipping for arguments sake.
2: You then Buy the game for $60 new at Target to get in maybe a weeks play time if your order is delayed.
3: Congratulations, although you'll get the $60 back, you're currently out $100 just to play the game a few days sooner.

So all you're doing by this is limiting your resources temporarily because you're impatient, and making more work for the guy/girl running the return counter at Target. It isn't a scam because they get a copy back to resell, new and sealed. And if it that copy doesn't sell, it probably wasn't going to anyway.

Here's another hypothetical for everyone; if you're in a store, and an item you're buying is priced lower than it should be, and even though the store is legally obligated to sell said item for the lower price, do you insist to pay the correct amount so the store doesn't take a hit? No sarcasm, just curious here, that's all.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Amazon Black Friday Deals/Lightning Deals Thread 75 3 minutes ago
Micro$ofts new slogan: we can run 900p! 79 4 minutes ago
PS4 remote play coming to PC/Mac 9 4 minutes ago
Any deals on Playstation Plus subscription? 5 7 minutes ago
Alright, your TDay/BF weekend list of shame. Whatcha getting/got? 107 7 minutes ago
Target's Top 3 items Sold online during Thanksgiving were, Ipad, Apple Watch and Wii U 8 7 minutes ago
Destiny PS4 VGF Clan v4.0 1320 10 minutes ago
why does digital codes cost more than the real copy? 22 10 minutes ago
Canceling an order on the Microsoft Store is pretty much a nightmare 4 11 minutes ago
Smoking a turkey 56 13 minutes ago
Gears Of War Ultimate Edition Question 6 14 minutes ago
OT: Goodbye Wi-Fi, Hello Li-Fi: New Wireless Technology Is 100 Times Faster 56 14 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  120
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions