Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: For Trek fans....Star Trek 'Into Darkness'

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 6:53:29 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
`Star Trek Into Darkness': Plot involves `unstoppable force of terror'

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/11/27/star-trek-into-darkness-plot-involves-unstoppable-force-of-terror/

Fans anxiously awaiting J.J. Abrams' upcoming "Star Trek Into Darkness" just got a little more information to ruminate over - Paramount has released the official plot synopsis for the film, and it offers a few juicy clues to the identity of the villain played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

The synopsis reads, in part: "When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one-man weapon of mass destruction.

"As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death," the synopsis continues, "love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew."

So who is this "one-man weapon of mass destruction?" Though no one has confirmed it, signs point to Cumberbatch's character being Khan Noonien Singh, the genetically engineered superman who battled Kirk in the original series episode "Space Seed" and the second feature film, "Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan."

Notice the description of the crew's battle as an "epic chess game of life and death?" Recall that Khan (as famously depicted in his previous incarnation by actor Ricardo Montalban) was a master strategist, whose undoing came about because he thought of the battlefield as a two-dimensional plane. (Kirk and Spock played a lot of three-dimensional chess, which helped them get the jump on Khan while in the Mutara Nebula.)

It's too early to know for sure, but audiences will no doubt get even more clarity when nine minutes of the film is screened before Imax 3-D screenings of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" when that film opens on Dec. 14.

"Star Trek Into Darkness," written by "Lost" alumni Damon Lindelof, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, is slated for a May 17, 2013, release. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto will reprise their respective roles as James T. Kirk and Spock. Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Simon Pegg, John Cho and Bruce Greenwood are also returning.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:03:50 AM PST
I really can't wait for "Into Darkness." Admittedly, my first foray into the Star Trek universe was the release of the 2009 film and I loved it; I have very high hopes for this next installment.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:07:17 AM PST
They'd best be careful if they're messing with Star Trek 2.... that'd be like remaking/updating one of the best Bond films. Looking forward to the movie though, and hope/pray that they do a good job :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:28:17 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
They can mess with it though, as it's set place in a similar, yet alternate universe. The Romulans are who we can thank for that gift.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:30:43 AM PST
saskamazon says:
that's exciting news ... will be eagerly anticipating the release. love ST. Wrath of Khan is a fav.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:32:18 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
I actually just watched the Wrath of Khan a few months ago. Didn't like it. So the only original Trek movie I have liked is the one with the whales. Is that bad?

I grew up watching TNG movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:33:28 AM PST
"an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for..."

First that very well-known planet from the first reboot film, and now all of Starfleet? Abrams really likes to blow shit up that's central to Star Trek!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:33:59 AM PST
Watch Star Trek VI. That is a great film.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:34:25 AM PST
I didn't mean not to mess with the timeline... like you said, that's fine... I just mean messing with the *belovedness* of it... ie, they can't afford for the movie to be bad in any way... no cheaping out, etc :) I'm sorry that my original post wasn't clearer ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:41:18 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
Will do. I believe it's on Netflix instant.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:41:26 AM PST
klopas says:
I want a whole Star Trek movie dedicated to fighting tribbles.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:44:35 AM PST
I think for each movie they are doing like an alternate for the orginials. That would be something.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:53:45 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Am I the only one that thinks "Star Trek Into Darkness" is the most unwieldy name ever?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:55:15 AM PST
Well, true, but it makes a great Jeopardy before and after answer :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:55:20 AM PST
Yes, that is bad. You need to go say 50 Hail Kirks to get back on the right path.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:56:40 AM PST
All power to the engines!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:02:34 PM PST
It's definitely different. Abrams said that in order to avoid confusion with the original TOS films, he didn't want to use numbers...and to avoid confusion with the TNG films he didn't just want a subtitle.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 12:06:45 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
what a one-man weapon of mass destruction may look like:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gary_Mitchell

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:07:08 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
That seems like a silly and aribitrary rule.

So we are going to get what, Star Trekking?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:17:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 12:37:35 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
... Star Tr3k, then St4r Trek, then 5tar Trek ...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:19:05 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
Haha, yeah.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:21:15 PM PST
Anthony says:
Sisco was a better captain than kirk and picard combined. and janeway and archer, for that matter.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 12:28:02 PM PST
IMO...

Picard > Kirk > Sisko > Archer > Janeway

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:30:08 PM PST
Nobody can be Amada though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:37:16 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<kirk and picard combined>>

Pikirkard? love that guy!

/Zoidberg voice
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions