Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

PS4/Nextbox release: Next year or 2014?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 4:14:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 4:14:58 PM PST
If Sony and MS are planning to release them next year, they will most likely be revealed at E3....which only gives them a small window until the holiday season. Usually next gen consoles are teased the year before. But we haven't heard anything. With PS3 & 360 still selling well and Wii U not being drastically more powerful then what's already out; do you think we'll be waiting 2 more years to buy a PS4/Nextbox?

I kind of hope so. There's really no need for anymore new consoles right now.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 4:18:59 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
Next year.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 4:27:12 PM PST
No E3 reveals. Coming holiday 2013 I would look toward the beginning of the year for news.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 4:30:18 PM PST
A customer says:
Not until at least another 2 or 3 years.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 4:53:58 PM PST
lol...its all about money... 2013 or nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:04:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 5:07:13 PM PST
Lucanus says:
I wish, but 2013 is going to happen. I'd bet on it. 2014 will be the very latest. Those who are expecting 2015 or later, IMHO will be very disappointed. I honestly think there is a zero percent chance of 2015 happening. :)

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 5:13:56 PM PST
I'm not buying one for 3-5 years, but next year you'll probably see the PSQuatro or the NeXtbox next year (possibly both, but at least one.)

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:49:54 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
MW4? is being developed for the next platform(s) and we've got confirmation Dragon age 3 is as well.

Given typical CoD launch time frame, you'd want to believe at the least the next Xbox will want to coincide with that release. Talk about a system seller.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:52:12 AM PST
Didn't it say it will be on the Unreal 4 engine? I will love to see IW fail a release because it's not the typical 2004 COD engine they are used to.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:52:18 AM PST
FOGE says:
Itll def be next year for M$. Probly the same for Sony. Im sure Ill be jumping right into next gen, and I wont buy a lot of games that first year, since my backlog is huge, but Ill be excited for new stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:55:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 5:55:42 AM PST
I will definitely be sitting the new release out. I want to see how everything shapes up for the new gen. Since COD will be releasing their next iteration on the next consoles; the new gen will take off BIG time.

Hell, I still want to see specs, game line ups, backwards compatibility, etc. There's way too much unanswered rubbish for me to say I am jumping on anything. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:55:03 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
The head guy at Sledgehammer and the team assembled there were responsible for Dead Space series, which use UE3. So its not like they are working with zero experience using Unreal.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:56:31 AM PST
True, but making the online portion with everything running in 1080p @ 60fps using a new UE4, that's what I want to see.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:57:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 5:58:18 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Or you can try it on PC in all its glory, 2K resolution if you want, without having to shell out for a $400 box :P

I expect dumbed down PS3/360/Wii U versions...there is no way they are ignoring an inta-Billion dollars 11 months from now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:58:54 AM PST
FOGE says:
Yeah, we pretty much know nothing. But, whatevs. Im a big gamer and I love shinys.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:03:33 AM PST
Agreed, or they might just use the same engine. lol

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:05:15 AM PST
I've never understood why these companies announce their consoles at E3.
All that happens is they have to share their spotlight with their competitor.
To me it would make much more sense to announce pre E3 on their own terms and generate their own hype.

That said - I'm pretty sure both Sony and Microsoft will announce new consoles at E3 2013. I'm even guessing a end of year 2013 release for both.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:15:39 AM PST
"There's really no need for anymore new consoles right now."

Now we know the PS3 still has 98% of it's power left to be unlocked but this is incorrect. There is no need for those of us that have huge backlogs and buy tons of games, but there is a need for new consoles. Sales are dropping and consoles are falling further and further behind the tech curve. I see a noticeable shift over to PC gaming right now, and that's because a lot of techno-snobs don't want to play on 7 year old hardware when there is something so much better available.

New consoles are needed. Not necessarily by you and I, but for the industry.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:18:50 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Agreed.

that said, I do think the PS3 needs an update after having messed with teh Vita. I think the Vita does a couple things MUCH better than the PS3 and that's prolly because it's hardware or architecturally locked out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:19:20 AM PST
This:
"Now we know the PS3 still has 98% of it's power left to be unlocked..."

Brilliant!
:)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:21:05 AM PST
FOGE says:
If they unlock more than 20% of its power, the same thing that happened at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark will happen with the PS3.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:22:52 AM PST
Microsoft and Sony are going to announce their new consoles in 2013 E3. As for launch, they most definitely dont want Nintendo to be uncontested for over a year, and/or have a tremendous lead over them. Most gamers think this generation of consoles has gone too long, considering most generation last 5 years and this one has gone for 7+ already. There is also the fact that if they try to make their new consoles too " powerful " they'll be priced out of range, especially during this economic situation. I'm not paying $800 + just for a game console and most people would agree.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:00:58 AM PST
i don't think sony or micro$oft are gonna be too bothered about the wii-u tbh. it has released with very little fanfare or hype. a lot of general non-gamer types don't even know it exists, whereas most people in developed countries have at least heard of playstation or xbox. most of the gen pop have heard of the wii but not the wii-u

even some of those who have heard of it don't realise it's a new console; my boss at work was telling me how her kids have said they want a wii-u for xmas and her jaw dropped when i told her how much it costs - she thought it was a wii add-on rather than a whole new console.

anyway - back on-topic. i predict *gets out crystal ball* that the next sony and micro$oft consoles will be officially unveiled at E3 2013, micro$oft will launch late november 2013 and sony in april 2014.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:09:40 AM PST
I'm holding out hope that's speculation about Dragon Age not confirmation. I follow darn near everybody associated with Dragon Age on twitter and they're not saying anything about next gen platforms.

After all, Kotaku is not a source.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:58:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 11:02:33 AM PST
Bobby G says:
High end PCs are free?? Where can I get one??

EDIT: I should add... I feel like the new consoles are going to be only marginal gaming experience improvements, but will be used as a way to get more money from gamers... kinda like how LED is only marginally better than LCD but costs a lot more (so that TV manufacturers can make more money). So I'm hoping that those consoles don't come out for 2 more years.

I do want to get watch dogs right when it comes out though ahha.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions