Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Tera Goes Free-to-Play, Says It Won't Be "Some Watered-Down Trial Version"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2013 8:45:01 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
This is a good trend. So besides WoW and the Final Fantasy ones, are there any MMOs left with subscription requirements?

http://kotaku.com/5974467/tera-goes-free+to+play-says-it-wont-be-some-watered+down-trial-version

"Guess it was only a matter of time, huh, Tera? En Masse Entertainment's online fantasy game joins Star Wars: The Old Republic and DC Universe Online on the roster of big-deal MMO titles that are ditching subscriptions. Starting in February, subscriptions will no longer be required to play Tera.

New players who join after the free-to-play switch-which is being called Tera: Rising-will be getting the full game, but paying users will be granted elite status. Rather than restricting free players and giving paid players the full game, everyone gets the full game and paid players get extra goodies. Here's a breakdown from today's press release:

Standard players will have full access to TERA's wealth of in-game content with two free characters per server. They are not subject to level caps and will experience no restrictions to content, time, or level. In recognition of their early adoption to the game, players who purchased TERA will gain founder benefits, including eight character slots, four bank tabs, a "Founder" title, the exclusive Terminus mount, and much more.

Available in 30-day increments for $14.99, elite status grants players extra dungeon rewards, 10 bonus quests per day, a daily delivery of items and boosts, an elite mount, in-game store discounts, waived brokerage registration taxes, and more. Elite players will find that their status pays for itself through free items and discounts, let alone in-game perks.

While non-elite players will not benefit from the same perks as their Elite counterparts, they will experience game content, character growth, holding political office, and other in-game determinations of status and power exactly the same way all players have since the game launched. They can also choose to buy most items available to elite status players on an a la carte basis from the in-game store or trade broker.

The exact date of the changeover hasn't been revealed yet but Tera players interested in more details can learn more here."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 8:52:55 AM PST
Ice King says:
This is how you do free to play. Reward the paying customers, don't punish the non-paying ones.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 9:16:46 AM PST
Nicos says:
Rift is the only one I can think of off the top of my head... unless something like Ultima Online or the Realm is still charging people subscriptions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 9:18:52 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Ah, yes. I always forget Rift.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 9:41:38 AM PST
But... it didn't even leave page 2. :*(

http://www.amazon.com/forum/video%20games/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1T1DM93QU4XL1&cdThread=Tx353AS7FTXC8E2

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 10:03:21 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I just thought every page needed a thread about it. Once this hits page two, hopefully we can have another.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 10:09:36 AM PST
If you actually want to PLAY EQ2... you gotta pay for stuff. It doesn't give you much for free in terms of Class and Race choices.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 4:55:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 4:55:41 PM PST
Eve Online has a sub fee still, but you can also pay for it via in-game money.

But yeah, this model is becoming the popular one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 4:55:27 PM PST
DDO is the same way. So is TOR.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 5:19:33 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
gamepad-friendly, with real-time combat and active dodging? i'll have to check it out! :D

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 5:26:20 PM PST
it's combat is a great deal of fun

everything else is generic by every single definition.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 5:28:30 PM PST
Blake says:
Combat was fun, but that's about it. Korean mmo grind if you're into that kind of thing.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 5:29:38 PM PST
1#Fetish says:
I almost bought this game, thank goodness.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 6:29:42 PM PST
elect Tron says:
I think Elder Scrolls Online is launching with a sub fee. I doubt that will last long.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 4:27:40 AM PST
I can't believe how many games are launching with sub fees.

TESO, Pathfinder Online, FF XIV...

The sub model will not work for any game outside WoW.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 6:08:44 AM PST
Nicos says:
Well technically Pathfinder has the EVE Online model where you have the option of paying a monthly sub for training time, or purchasing it via in-game currency. IIRC you can still play all that you want if you don't have any training time, you just won't advance any of your skills.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 6:09:03 AM PST
"The sub model will not work for any game outside WoW."

Or until Blizzard makes a new MMO.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 6:19:55 AM PST
C. Wilscam says:
Well, looks like I will re up my subscription, get my freebies, and hold onto the account just in case the game becomes fun all of a sudden.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 6:48:51 AM PST
Soulflux says:
I'd gladly pay $50 a month for an MMO worth playing. Too bad none of them are. Sad little WoW clones or unfinished garbage. Cash shops are the future though because lots and lots and LOTS of people will fork over loads of "shop cash" for a mount or hat or whatever little thing they want, never thinking about how much they are actually spending. The companies make a killing this way. Way more than subs.

I'm actually playing the original Everquest again, mostly for nostalgia. Its pretty weak in most areas by todays standards but there's still a ton of stuff to do. I have an active WoW account as well, but MoP and its forced progression through dailies sort of turns me off at this point.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 10:31:07 AM PST
If all you see in the MMO market is WoW clones and unfinished garbage, you aren't paying attention.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 10:39:48 AM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<it's combat is a great deal of fun
everything else is generic by every single definition.>>

i'm currently playing DCUO for that exact reason. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 10:40:54 AM PST
jSten says:
> waived brokerage registration taxes

Out of curiosity, what is that?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 10:44:45 AM PST
Soulflux says:
Enlighten me then?

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 10:47:47 AM PST
I played this game at launch and enjoyed it a lot, until I hit the level cap and there was literally nothing to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 10:48:45 AM PST
Eve Online, Guild Wars 1&2, TOR, DCUO, and Tera are all MMOs that do things rather differently from WoW.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions