Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

ArmA 3 Impressions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 6, 2013 6:02:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2013 6:08:03 AM PST
The game has the most beautiful visuals of any first person shooter I've ever played. Not only that, but I was surprised to see that my rig can handle it on Ultra. I couldn't believe how smooth it ran with everything cranked as high as it could go. Definitely FAR better optimized than previous iterations of ArmA.

Solid shooting mechanics. Very well done movement, crawling, targeting enemies, weapon assortment, and mission structure. The UI is MUCH improved over ArmA 2. For an alpha test, this game is already shaping up to be an excellent tactical shooter.

Anyone else grab this last night? Everyone that buys into the game now gets 3 alpha test keys to hand out next Monday.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:22:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2013 6:23:07 AM PST
Your 6870 runs this game on ultra? With AA/AT turned on?

Also, if you can give me a alpha key that would be great. If I like it I will purchase it.

How big is the map? Is there any vehicles yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:30:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2013 6:31:03 AM PST
They give you 4 scenarios and multiplayer as well. I think you can do 2 player Co-op in the alpha.

I set it to ultra, FXAA on, and I think I left everything for those settings. I had to turn up my fans though, my GPU was warming up quick ;)

I believe there are 8 vehicles in the alpha test with more coming later. I saw 5-6 different weapons in the first scenario and several different pieces of equipment like a compass, map, watch, NV goggles, etc.

The map I was on was fairly big. I think my second major objective was 300-400 meters away from the first one.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:35:16 AM PST
Here's some screenshots if you want to take a look:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/CaptKillsteal/screenshots/

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 5:29:50 AM PST
ArmA 3 glitches are going to be fun to toy with in the sandbox....

I wonder if a player can do this:

http://i.imgur.com/t7wrH8r.gif

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:42:25 AM PST
1. It looks great for Alpha stage
2. You took a picture of Lara Croft's bewbs

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:46:00 AM PST
1. Agreed. I'll have your key next week by the way.
2. Yes. Dozens. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 5:53:23 AM PST
1. Good
2. DOZENS OF BEWBS

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 5:57:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 5:58:12 AM PST
Coffee says:
I like how this thread is just a discussion between JJ and the Captain.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:02:58 AM PST
It's a little early for most, and he made this thread late in the day yesterday.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:03:56 AM PST
That and we don't have many people interested in ArmA 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:07:03 AM PST
Iso says:
You are going to hand one of the alpha keys to me too right? ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:09:30 AM PST
Coffee says:
Oh I'm definitely interested in it, but am hesitant to pick up an alpha build at the moment. I barely have time for the games I already have. But hearing how well it runs on a 6870 has my hopes very high. I'd love to see what the guys behind Day Z could do with this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:10:02 AM PST
Lol, I was trying to make us look better.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:15:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 6:15:53 AM PST
I've got one going to Flawless and one going to JJ. Nate expressed interest in it as well. If he doesn't want the key you can have the third one.

EDIT: Oh, Jro picked it up as well, so I might be able to get a key off of him for you.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 7:16:49 AM PST
I'm thinking of picking this up.

I might buy my buddies nvidia 580 gtx soon as well, he's wanting to get rid of it on the cheap.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 11:52:51 AM PST
Coffee says:
Aaaaand I just bought it...damn you Capt. My Steam library has swelled tremendously since I started listening to your recommendations. Anywho, I'll have 2 of the alpha lite keys up for grabs when they release next week if anyone wants to try it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 12:09:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 12:10:06 PM PST
What does the 'lite' mean? If it's super gimped compared to the normal alpha gameplay then I may just go ahead and buy it myself.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 12:14:52 PM PST
Coffee says:
It's a sort of "preview" from March 14th until June 18th. I believe it is full access to the Alpha during that window.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 9:54:40 AM PDT
Capt, hit me up later. First ArmA game I have bought excluding ArmA 2 which I bought just for Day Z. I have alot....or rather "ALOT" to learn atm but find it to be a beautiful game. Very exciting as I enjoy military sims and this looks to be about as good as it gets as far as sims go. Dont really know what I am doing with it though so may have to hit you up with questions and just to get online and goof off.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 10:00:33 AM PDT
The Alpha Lite version has no multiplayer and no mod support.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 10:02:03 AM PDT
Heh, oops!

I need to download some of the user made maps. There's apparently some really good ones out there already.

Keep in mind the devs didn't put any sort of anti-cheat on the alpha test, so playing in servers now is hit or miss for hacking.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 10:03:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 10:05:52 AM PDT
I'll be 100% honest with you, I'm pretty terrible at the game so far!

The two multiplayer missions that are available from the devs are a night mission where you assassinate 3 officers and a day mission where you have to escape a 20km^2 island.

The night mission is 1-7 players co-op while the day mission is 1-10 players in co-op. The AI fills out the remainder of your team and you can issue all kinds of orders if you take the squad leader position.

There are also 4 single player missions in the alpha test you can play. I've only done the infantry one (and made it halfway before I failed the mission).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 10:12:20 AM PDT
lol well seems we are in the same boat. I made it to the part where you are supposed to spot the mortar team before they take out Bravo. I couldnt find them anywhere. I assume thats about halfway through. I played the other SP missions and realized I cant fly a chopper. Failed all the SP but still down to push through some co-op sometime.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 10:14:50 AM PDT
That's where I failed. They place a waypoint in the direction of the mortar team, which I believe is actually in the opposite direction from where you entered the town.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Mar 6, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions