Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Geoff Keighley and Doritos?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 8:46:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 8:47:48 PM PST
Alright, so apparently, I was reading a website talking about one of the big events of gaming this year. One of those events concerns Geoff Keighley promoting Halo 4 with Mountain Dew and Doritos. So what's so important about this picture, and what's the story behind it?

I missed this, obviously. I barely pay attention to gaming journalism of this kind, so what's so famous about this picture? Why does it matter?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:51:47 PM PST
Here you go....

http://www.amazon.com/forum/video%20games/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1T1DM93QU4XL1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2UBI155Y2KMUD#Mx3IJDELV8GPBBF

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:01:33 PM PST
That article, honestly, is sort of confusing. I mean, what's the straight answer, any way?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 9:08:37 PM PST
Kasceis says:
Old.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:12:13 PM PST
Your mom's old.

Bam! Too easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:08:31 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Your mom's too easy.

Bam! A nice person.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:14:30 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:07 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:29:46 AM PST
In all fairness the article was butchered after Eurogamer was threatened with litigation (which suggests to me that the piece may have been pretty effective.)

I'll try to explain this as best I can but it really comes down to what your expectations of gaming journalists are. If you are okay with what they are doing then no, this won't be a big deal to you.

Does anybody remember the outrage when Sony changed their PSN EULA so that people would lose their right to join in a class action lawsuit against Sony unless they opted out with a physical letter? We saw the media actively encouraging people to opt out of Sony's terms and even providing sample letters for people to fill out and send. Nate and I both commented that the gaming media was becoming a little too activist to be considered unbiased media. When other companies like Microsoft, EA and even Amazon had similar terms in their EULAs nobody cared. For some reason it was only an outrage when Sony did it.

Geoff Keighley is an example of the same problem from the other direction. He is known for covering stories with a positive bias in exchange for exclusive interviews and he tends to accept PR spin from gaming companies at face value. He just doesn't question his favored companies like a journalist should. Then we have other journalists who comment that they get free PS3s at an event they are covering and they don't see the problem. When Geoff Keighley sat down with the Doritos and Mountain Dew and a Halo 4 display it was like a visual metaphor for what he is- a bought and paid for shill.

There are some people who think that the gaming media should not be activists for their preferred causes or be bought in exchange for positive press coverage.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 11:00:13 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Why shouldn't the gaming "media" be activists? They aren't journalists. They're glorified movie critics.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:04:08 AM PST
For a lot of people that is true but at one time Geoff Keighley was named one of the best business journalists in the world under the age of 30. He and Mike Wallace are the only two journalists to have ever been profiled in the Harvard Business School press book. If somebody with his credentials isn't held to any kind of standard then there isn't much hope at all for the rest of the gaming media.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:06:24 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
This is really the main problem I have with all of this. Gaming "journalism" consists of paraphrasing press releases and writing your opinion on games you play.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:51:33 AM PST
"We saw the media actively encouraging people to opt out of Sony's terms and even providing sample letters for people to fill out and send. Nate and I both commented that the gaming media was becoming a little too activist to be considered unbiased media. When other companies like Microsoft, EA and even Amazon had similar terms in their EULAs nobody cared. For some reason it was only an outrage when Sony did it."

Heh, I shut down all the haters quick when I posted Amazon's own policy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 11:52:37 AM PST
It should also be noted that Geoff Keighley is at least partially responsible for the VGAs.

The only thing he's ever done that I like is when he was interviewed about Mass Effect.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:34:01 PM PST
I knew that was coming.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:50:35 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Probably sponsored by EA in that case.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:44:14 PM PST
R. Nickerson says:
It should be noted that just because Amazon and others have a crappy (and probably unenforceable on any level that matters) clause in their policies it doesn't mean that it's perfectly fine for Sony to do it as well. I don't see a problem at all with the "gaming media" shedding light on that issue and encouraging people who care to take action to help to protect their rights.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:49:05 PM PST
In other words, gaming journalists take bribes, and this image is a testemant to gaming reviews being sell outs..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:51:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 6:51:36 PM PST
I thought he did a rather poor job, if you're talking about that sex scandal one, I think other people could have completely destroyed her argument in a single sentence and he kinda just mumbled a response that got cut off when the news people realized he just happened to be right.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:02:08 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Let's not call them journalists okay .. they're just amateurs.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions