Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Nintendo is not the only reason for limited 3rd party support.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 200 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 2, 2013 8:17:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 8:25:02 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
I think people are focusing a bit too much on the "other" side of the spectrum while talking about this problem. The objectively of poor Wii support and probable (just a guess) limited 3rd party support for the WiiU are not only symptoms of wrong decisions by Nintendo, but by the install base itself.

I was skimming through info about this new Bungie game called Destiny, and how it's hitting the old gen consoles and the new gen ones, but no confirmation for the WiiU has been given until now. Activision themselves claimed that they are disappointed by their Blops2 sales on the Nintendo platform (they over expected things but the problem is still there).

Which brings me to my point. I imagined this hypothetical situation in which Destiny didn't release for the WiiU. Not this particular forum, but other dedicated forums around the net would explode with people (vocal minority) saying how they "don't need games like that" or "who cares it's Activision" or "meh, we got 1st parties anyway". Of course, not everyone thinks like this, but it can be a vocal majority, the last Tomb Raider game example comes to my mind (as it might turn to be a great game looking at reviews).

I think you guys are hurting yourselves while alienating your platform from the rest of the industry. If you want the WiiU to succeed, then leave behind the mentality that only Nintendo first party games are of quality and deserving of your time and money.

That's it, just something I wanted to share with you, no hate intended.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 8:33:12 PM PST
The problem with Black Ops 2 on the Wii-U and the low sales is that Activision should have realized it wasn't going to sell. It has a small install base and multiplayer is the biggest draw to Call of Duty. Not to mention it had already hit all the other platforms so most out there who play it frequently and would pick it up already bought it or are going to play where majority of their friends are playing. Toss in limited support such as no Elite for the Wii-U and it becomes an even harder sell to fans of the series.

If companies aren't going to fully support their products on any given platform yet throw full support behind that same product on other platforms where do you think people are going to take their money?

Activision doesn't support Call of Duty on the Wii-U thus people don't buy for the Wii-U and now Activision is questioning supporting the Wii-U. The problem isn't Nintendo, it's the support the developer/publisher give the system.

Another example would be look at Mass Effect 3 on the Wii-U. EA has been back and forth about if the DLC would release on the Wii-U and also released (for the same price) the Mass Effect Trilogy on every other platform making Mass Effect 3 an even tougher sell for Wii-U owners. Why spend $60 to get one game that released at the beginning of the year, has mild support (at best), and costs the same as the rest of the franchise on platforms you already own and that version comes with far more DLC?

Companies aren't making it worth a Wii-U owner's while to pick up their products on the Wii-U. I'm all for third party titles and plan to pick up a number of third party titles throughout the year but if I get a better deal on another platform that's where I'm going.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 8:37:33 PM PST
There's a good chance Destiny is coming to WiiU; http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/02/turns_out_destiny_could_be_coming_to_the_wii_u_after_all

I wouldn't really read too much into some user's comments, not every game is for everybody(there are plenty of people who would have no interest in FPSes.) Crystal Dynamics didn't put Tomb Raider on Wii U because they didn't want to use/weren't familiar with the Wii U gamepad. But it's mostly because of the low install base. However, once the 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda U, Smash Bros etc. hit, the U sales will improve a lot and more third parties will be interested.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 8:41:10 PM PST
" I think you guys are hurting yourselves while alienating your platform from the rest of the industry. If you want the WiiU to succeed, then leave behind the mentality that only Nintendo first party games are of quality and deserving of your time and money."

I'm not sure that I have ever seen anybody on VGF make this claim.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 8:45:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 8:47:22 PM PST
I.Flores says:
Yeah, uncle Mario is coming soon to make it all go away.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 8:52:14 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Is that good or bad? Also, can you further elaborate.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:00:57 PM PST
Well, you talk about people commenting on "other dedicated forums" but you post this here and address "you guys" as if the people here are the ones making those comments. Not only are you confused about your message but you seem confused as to who you are delivering it to.

That would be like assuming every PlayStation fan acts like Flores.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:03:50 PM PST
Well, "uncle Mario" is a money maker and his games are awesome. Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 is what the 3DS needed in terms of software to get it's feet off the ground.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:07:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2013 9:07:49 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
No, I said this forum would probably not explode in negative comments about a game not reaching the WiiU, but others would. And then I mention you guys because I get those "first party above all" vibes from here everyday.
Anyways, do you have anything constructive to add to the discussion?

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 9:16:43 PM PST
Joshua C says:
I mean, I have a Wii U. I also have a 360 and a PS3, and a Wii that now sits in a box (no point having out two consoles for the same games)

I've never really followed the mentality that only first-party games are good for Nintendo consoles, myself. True, there are some series I greatly enjoy that are only on Nintendo (Fire Emblem and Zelda), but almost every Wii game I own is third party (except Fire Emblem and Zelda, actually... and Kirby's Epic Yarn), and I didn't buy the Wii U for any first party titles, as none from my favored series had been announced. I wouldn't buy ME3 for it, because I don't care to play through those games (though I was given a copy of Trilogy as a gift). I wouldn't buy BLOPS2 because I don't like CoD games, and because I recognize the reason to buy it is primarily for multiplayer and the Wii is months behind on release and has a considerably smaller install base. Darksiders 2 I've had since launch day because I wanted the CE, no desire to play Zombi U, already own/beaten AC3 and Arkham City....

The problem isn't a lack of third party support, it's that all of the third party support is coming to the party months after they stopped being "big news". With the titles on the horizon like Lego City, Watch Dogs, MH3U (which is YEARS late to the party, but at least adds content), and a new "Xeno-" game (I'm hoping. Same dev, project is called X) I'm hoping to see some really great stuff coming. That's not even counting first party like Wind Waker HD, a new Zelda, Shin Fire Megami Emblem Tensei, etc.

Looking over at my shelf right meow, I don't even own a Mario game on the Wii. Just never got around to buying one. Oh well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:47:52 PM PST
Yes. See previous post.

You have already failes one of the key rules about presenting your argument to the public.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:53:10 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
I could ignore these 2 lines you typed and the result would be the same, thereby I think you have nothing to add here.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:58:22 PM PST
You are absolutely free to believe that if you wish.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 5:29:52 AM PST
Gameresq says:
I think Dust has a valid point in there. To wit, let us presume that a Wii U/PS3 owner decides to buy, say, Assassins Creed 3. He could buy either the Wii U version or the PS3 version. If I read him correctly, Dust suggests that it behooves this individual to purchase (new, of course) the Wii U version in order to draw more 3rd party support to the console.

My question then: why might this individual be inclined to support Wii U over PS3 if he owns both already? As such an individual myself, I would choose whichever version has more appealing features. Need for Speed: Most Wanted? Wii U version, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 5:44:40 AM PST
If anything I've realized that people on the vgf go where there are great games. However very few of us ONLY have a Nintendo system so when a 3rd party releases on multiple consoles there is little incentive to get the Nintendo version over another, especially if multiplayer is involved.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 6:30:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2013 6:43:39 AM PST
Although I support the notion of buying Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Blaming that as the reason for poor 3rd party sales is ridiculous at best. If I had to choose a system because I no longer can be multiplatform. I would rather choose the one with best exclusives and although opinions may vary IMO Nintendo makes the best exclusives. I also have a gaming PC although not top spec meets the needs of majority of games therefore if I really must play 3rd party I could go that route.

It's a sad situation yes as I had to make that decision this gen. Last gen I could afford having a PS3 and Wii. This gen I'm going have to give up PS4 simply because in a few years I've got some life changing choices to make and need to save more. I prefer to game on one system so yes I would like 3rd party games on a system that I chose due to exclysives, but blaming that reason is again ridiculous at best. Isn't that the sole reasoning (other then fanboyism) behind the choice of system for all other " gamers?

Also, considering that the Wii games had less then a 1% atrach rate and Activision said they were pkeased by those I highly doubt the approximately 8% attach rate of the Wii U version in contrast to 12% on PS3 and 14% on 360 is considered abysmal by Activision. Especially when you factor things like COD is one of thise games that sell most on launch day and the Wii U version launched 5 days after PS3/360 I don't think your average COD player is going to wait or chance playing without their already established groups on their respective services.

If that wasn't enough the PS3/360 versions during the holidays especiallu during Black Friday were saling at $29.99 at most retailers while the Wii U version remained full price at $59.99 or close.

EDIT: It looks like the source of that statement was a blog which has since then been deleted.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 6:45:17 AM PST
I like Warriors Orochi Hyper and Tank! Tank! Tank!

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 8:16:02 AM PST
Kasmatsu says:
I double dipped on AC3. I originally bought the PS3 version for the exclusive mission and for the fact it released before the WiiU launch. I switched to the WiiU version shortly after its launch because offscreen play is a killer app.

The games I currently have preordered are Defiance and Destiny. Neither are coming to WiiU. If they did, that would be the version I bought.

Black Ops 2 is a bad example. It is missing key features from the other versions. Namely Elite and map pack DLC. It even disables the system's home button everywhere but campaign. Since the home button is also the screen shot button, they have crippled their own Miiverse support. The WiiU version is also missing CODcasting. It is a shame because with offscreen play, the excellent pro controller and the touch screen features the WiiU version could have been definitive. If only it was equally supported by Activision.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 8:20:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2013 8:20:53 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Call of duty sucks. It isn't the type of game that appeals to the average nintendo fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 8:22:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2013 8:23:16 AM PST
elect Tron says:
I think most of us have accepted the fact that Nintendo gaming consoles (excluding handhelds) are primarily for Nintendo games. It's been like this since the N64 was released, and I don't really see that changing, considering it's been going on nearly 20 years like this. Most of us have PC's or consoles by Sony and/or Microsoft to give us the third party games we want.

Nintendo is no longer king of the hill amongst the "core" gaming crowd, and they probably never will be again. However, they still do make amazing games, and as long as they continue to do that, most gamers will have a Nintendo console on their shelves so that they can continue to play these amazing games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 8:22:52 AM PST
Agreed with you on this, it appeals to the general American public, not gamers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 8:24:30 AM PST
elect Tron says:
I like you, Sailor Moon. You seem to be a nice kid. But I really hope this awfully narrow-minded view that you constantly preach on here is just a phase, and that you eventually grow out of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 8:25:09 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Wow, just wow. That could not have been stated more accurately. Yeah, exactly.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 8:32:34 AM PST
It might be a phase that I'm going through.

Then again I stopped caring for Family Guy, which probably appeals to the same audience that CoD does.

CoD appeals to the MP crowd, me being a SP, I prefer RPGs and Platformers, alongside the occasional fighting game, racing game, and FPS (Not CoD or Halo, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Metroid Prime are what I prefer to play to those two).

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 8:35:14 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I love Family Guy and can't stand CoD or any other online driven game.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  200
Initial post:  Mar 2, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions