Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dead Island: Riptide skipping Wii U (fill in here with excuse)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 16, 2013 10:09:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013 10:10:27 PM PDT
http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/16/dead-island-riptide-skipping-wii-u-due-to-current-engine/

Dead Island: Riptide will not be released on Wii U because according to creative producer Alexander Toplansky, Techland would have to rebuild or port the engine.

Speaking in an interview with Digital Spy (via Polygon), Toplansky said while Wii U development hasn't been "categorically" ruled out in the future, the team wanted to instead refine the current engine for Riptide before tackling a new console.

"One of the opportunities we had for Riptide was to continue the development of the engine, and really improve it and make a lot of refinements," he said. "The things that are required to bring something to a new platform, you need to either really get to be integrating it deep into the engine, or you've got to [do] a port.

"Neither one of those was a satisfactory outcome for us, so we decided to do what we got platform-wise and just make sure that we can deliver the best experience we can."

Dead Island: Riptide releases April 23 in North American and on April 26 in Europe for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 10:10:14 PM PDT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 10:12:55 PM PDT
"Toplansky said while Wii U development hasn't been "categorically" ruled out in the future,"

I'd imagine if this game sells well enough, they'd be interested in an enhanced U version.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 10:15:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013 10:15:51 PM PDT
"Toplansky said while Wii U development hasn't been "categorically" ruled out in the future,"

Lemme help you out here:

Translation: We will continue to monitor the sales of the WiiU. If it picks up significantly, then we will port

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 10:20:01 PM PDT
Don't feed the trolls.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 10:24:00 PM PDT
Yeah, a bit of both I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 10:35:08 PM PDT
haha...stop being so sensitive to not so good news. I have a WiiU that I bought Day 1. Explain to me in your wrapped mind how this is good news for me as an owner of the WiiU?

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 11:01:18 PM PDT
(Fill in here with excuse) = Techland would have to rebuild or port the engine.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 11:07:12 PM PDT
how cute...youre so gullible

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 7:20:33 AM PDT
Rons Mkay says:
I don't see why anyone would be surprised. I for one did not buy into the "We are going to have a love fest with third party developers". Nintendo never has had a good relationship, so why would it start now? Ubisoft, the biggest third party supporter at release, has already pulled back on Rayman. Once again, it will be a Nintendo system that floats by simply on nostalgic first party titles.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 8:02:34 AM PDT
Cinema Fan says:
Techland doesn't care about the dozen sales they'd miss out on.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 9:05:36 AM PDT
"how cute...youre so gullible"

I do not think someone is gullible for taking the devs at there word. Sure, they could do it and it may actually not be much of a problem for them but that is no different that the MS or Sony fantards who believe similar type crap from a dev when they like what is said. A dev says a players favorite system is most powerful the dev knows what they are talking about. Another dev says the opposite they have not clue. Or when a dev says game A would not run on the other console, depending on the side player is on, they either believe it and brag or they talk down about the dev and game. That would be gullible. People even believed the PS3 was a super computer.

As for this situation it is very plausible. It may not be financially worth it to port the engine to another console at this point. Especially if the console would not sell enough units to recover profits. That is where Nintendo has to get these games by helping the devs. Costs a little early on but the benefit is better install base size and the prospects of better games in the future.

On a serious note I am so looking forward to PS4. Cannot wait to see what a dedicated console can do with that kind of ram and gpu. Won't come close to my pc but I can guarantee I will not care. It will look so good and should have much better AI-Physics-etc. that I a pretty excited. I know some people are not ready for the next wave but after playing many recent releases I see that we really need the room to grow. What Sony is providing will provide a lot of room for that. If games are written native 1080p with a lot of other effects that would still leave much room for other improvements.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 9:17:24 AM PDT
It doesn't fit the Wii U's gimicky control theme.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 9:23:20 AM PDT
Aku says:
You realize the gamepad has every single button that the PS3/360 controllers have, right? The only thing missing is analog triggers, which are used in like three games per console generation.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 10:02:35 AM PDT
DVvM says:
Weren't you uninterested in buying multiplat games on the Wii-U anyway? I recall you saying in a different thread that you would prefer to buy Rayman Legends on the PS3 for this reason (even though the Wii-U version has exclusive content.)

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 10:28:18 AM PDT
new Tron says:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Doug.

I bet anything that this game was in the works for Wii U, and Deep Silver pulled out.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 10:39:01 AM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
And the sun is scheduled to rise and set today. And 3rd party developers continue to be lazy fools.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 10:51:00 AM PDT
The only thing I regret about the Wii-U is buying it at launch. I am willing to bet real money that by the time the Wii U gives way to the next Nintendo console, I will have had hundreds and hundreds of hours of great gaming on it. Nintendo can't launch worth a damn. How do they not have first party exclusive system sellers ready to fire right away? Vertical integration doesn't work if you're too stupid to take advantage of it.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 11:01:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2013 11:03:02 AM PDT
Dukeshire says:
If the U becomes like the Dreamcast I hope they release some classics before it dies. On a more serious note: When the 360 was released it could afford a dearth of games. HD gaming was newer and it had some sexy games to play. Also, I think Oblivion was released not that long into 06. There was really no competition. The PS3 was on the horizon as was the Wii. The last gen systems were dying.

The 360/PS3 still have a lot of life left and the new systems are on the horizon. While the 360 offered something newer and fresh in 05/6 the U really doesn't. It has NSMBU and not much else. I am sure Lego City is a great game but it is not for me.

I wish more 3rd Parties would work with the U but I beg to differ that they are lazy. Why rebuild something from scratch if you don't have to. And the sales from the U just aren't there right now.

Here is an interesting article from right before the release of the PS2:

October 9, 2000 10:30 AM PDT
Dreamcast sales climb on eve of troubled PlayStation 2 launch

By Stephanie Miles
Staff Writer, CNET News

Game players and retailers may be frustrated by the expected shortages of Sony's upcoming PlayStation 2 console, but at least one party is benefiting: Sega.

Sega's Dreamcast game console has been trounced in sales by Sony's original PlayStation all year. But Sega is staging a comeback, with sales more than doubling ahead of the launch of the much-anticipated PlayStation 2, according to market research firm PC Data, which tracks retail sales of technology products.

Sega vs. Sony rematch

Sega of America president Peter Moore

The surge in Dreamcast sales is significant, given that many had written off Sega's long-term prospects in light of the massive hype surrounding the launch of the new Sony console later this month. Sega appears to have capitalized on the chance Sony provided when it warned last month that initial PlayStation 2 availability would be half that of previous forecasts, likely leading to widespread shortages during the holiday shopping season.

Sales of the Dreamcast consoles were up 156.6 percent between July 23 and Sept. 30, according to PC Data, pushing Sega into the No. 2 spot, ahead of Nintendo and behind Sony, based on revenue.

Sega of America president Peter Moore told CNET News.com shortly after Sony's announcement that the company was already hearing from retailers looking for more Dreamcasts.

"It created a mild panic among retailers," he said. "As the brand that takes advantage of this best, it's our job to find the inventory."

To be sure, Sony will still dominate the market when the PlayStation 2 arrives, given that the console is essentially already sold out through preorders and reservations.

But Sega has been preparing itself for the Oct. 26 arrival of PlayStation 2, slashing prices on its Dreamcast by $50, to $150--half the price of the PlayStation 2. Further, Sega has been offering a rebate for the full cost of the Dreamcast to buyers who sign up for the Seganet online gaming network and Internet service.

These moves, coupled with Sony's component-related supply problems, have sent Dreamcast sales surging.

"The PlayStation 2 is pretty much already sold out," said Matt Gravett, of PC Data. "It's like when people go to the movie theater and can't get into their first-choice movie because it's sold out. They go to another movie."

Sony is currently selling a revamped version of its original PlayStation, dubbed "PSone," while Nintendo has been bundling its Nintendo 64 with Pokemon and Donkey Kong games.

"It really looks like Sega reached the part of the market that was looking to buy a new system," Gravett said. "They added to the market."

Since Sega cut prices, its market share has increased to 29.9 percent of unit sales and 39.7 percent by revenues. With the original PlayStation, Sony has 49 percent of the market in unit sales and 42.3 percent by revenue. The Nintendo 64 declined to 20.8 percent by unit sales and 17.9 percent by revenue.

From January through August, Sega captured about 15 percent of the market, according to Gravett. The PlayStation took 45 to 50 percent of the market during that time, and Nintendo had 30 to 35 percent.

The overall market for game consoles is still growing, Gravett said, despite the fact that many people are waiting for the PlayStation 2 and retailers are working to clear stores of original PlayStation inventory. Sega sales, while higher than earlier this year, are still lower than last fall, when the Dreamcast launched, he said.

"The big thing this holiday season is going to be the PlayStation 2," Gravett said. "There could be some backlash against Sony because there are going to be some shortages."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 11:09:17 AM PDT
JagdTiger says:
Yeah,fiqures,it would been great with the chips on the wii u.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 12:29:46 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 11:13:56 PM PDT
no kidding it wouldn't sell on the Wii U and they know that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Mar 16, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions