Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 21, 2011 8:01:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2011 8:01:47 PM PDT
uncledonnie3 says:
I hope it's not an MMO...

--------------

http://games.ign.com/articles/117/1177778p1.html

We already know that director Ron Howard and Universal are planning a film and TV adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower. So should it be a surprise that a video game component is also in the works?

"We discovered elements that would probably never have a home either on the big screen or on TV, but would make fantastic narrative gaming opportunities that won't rehash the movies or TV, but have its own material borne out of the books and graphic novels," Howard tells Deadline. "We've got gaming designers and there is enthusiasm for that. It's a way to use all the mediums at our disposal to try to fulfill what's possible. Universal sees this as an asset that can benefit the company in a lot of different ways."

There are no other details regarding the game at this point, which seems to be in the earliest stages of development, but this is obviously seen as a big franchise by the studio. Look for Underoos and toy tie-ins too.

Meanwhile, Howard's producing partner Brian Grazer also added that the reported budget cuts the film/TV project is facing aren't "that deep or that radical."

And Javier Bardem, despite rumors that he will star as Roland Deschain, isn't officially signed on yet. "He's fascinated by the character and has great instincts for Roland," says Howard. "I'm hoping when we go, he's available and will join us."

But will he voice the character in the game, Ronny?

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 8:11:16 PM PDT
I'm still in shock that Stephen King is even open to the idea of making movies and TV shows based on The Dark Tower. If it works I'll be happier than pretty much anyone about it but I just don't think it can be done. The Dark Tower is so much more than those seven novels, almost every book SK has written goes back to the tower in one way or another, in some instances he didn't even realize it until it was pointed out by fans. I don't see how they could possibly do it justice without making a few hundred completely uncensored episodes or something with SK directly overseeing the entire thing. I think that a video game would have a better chance though, The Gunslinger would be a cinch to make a game of but I don't know how they would really handle the entire story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 8:18:21 PM PDT
uncledonnie3 says:
+1

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 9:12:29 AM PDT
jSten says:
haha, I thought this was a topic about the old Dark Tower board game.

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 9:14:30 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Why does it have to be Ron Howard...
damn, damn and double damn, this could have been great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:17:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2011 9:17:53 AM PDT
Ice King says:
If you want to make a good Dark Tower adaptation there's only one choice: HBO.
I really wish they didn't abandon their Preacher series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:18:19 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Now you are talking! Get Ron "lame ass" Howard out of this project before it crumbles to the ground.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:20:28 AM PDT
C.W. says:
You know who would be awesome at directing this? Steven Spielberg!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:23:57 AM PDT
uncledonnie3 says:
No he wouldn't. He isn't an auteur.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:24:11 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
haha! Good one!

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 9:25:02 AM PDT
Iso says:
Why hat Ron Howard?

He has awards you know?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:25:11 AM PDT
C.W. says:
=P I agree with your Ron Howard comment actually. I just do not care for the majority of his films. A few of them have been well-done, but overall, meh.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:26:09 AM PDT
C.W. says:
This, this, and more this. There are so many properties that I wish HBO would develop...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:27:39 AM PDT
SMH says:
I'll be happy as well. I raed the first 3 Dark Tower books and got maybe mid way through the 4th but haven't picked them back up again. I'd love to see how it plays out...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:30:12 AM PDT
SMH says:
I agree...Howard is a good director, don't get the hate. If this thing sucks, it won't be due to his directing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:30:14 AM PDT
C.W. says:
I stopped during the 4th book also. I need to just skip it I think and move on to 5.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:31:02 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
But it would be 100% his fault.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:33:26 AM PDT
My thoughts exactly, and it would need to be ridiculously successful to get through the entire thing. As much as I would love for this to be done right I hope it never happens, I'm still recovering from The Lord of the Rings. Speaking of which, they are supposedly tossing Frodo and Legolas into The Hobbit, sigh, no way I'm going to see that it that is true.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:34:07 AM PDT
Don't do that, seriously, Wizard and Glass is rather slow the first time you read it but it is very important to the remainder of the story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:34:19 AM PDT
uncledonnie3 says:
If he isn't an auteur wouldn't that mean it's not 100% his fault?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:35:05 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Frodo would have to be a baby and Legolas would have to be just a cameo in the Elf Town.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:35:14 AM PDT
C.W. says:
Aight! I will trust your judgement good sir. I just need to press on I guess then. I am currently finishing up the first Game of Thrones novel so it might be awhile before I get back to the Dark Tower series though.

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 9:49:29 AM PDT
He's busy with The Walking Dead, but Frank Darabont is the best King adapter out there. I hope he gets the chance to at least direct some of the TV episodes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:49:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2011 9:50:53 AM PDT
I know, they are trying to get Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom to be in the movie so it is already ruined. I can't believe that Ian Mckellan or Christopher Lee haven't spoken up, being that they are so well versed in the story...then again, they didn't stop the elves from being at Helms Deep or from letting Haldir be killed off...or stop Aragorn from being a p***y that for some reason didn't want to be king...or that they didn't give him his ****ing sword in the first movie.

edit: And would it have killed them to have the flag on the ship when Aragorn shows up to save the day??? That was VERY important.

Sorry, sorry everyone, my fanboy levels go crazy when it comes to books.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 1:35:40 PM PDT
Mallrat says:
http://whatculture.com/film/the-dark-tower-movie-7-reasons-why-its-a-terrible-idea-1-why-its-not.php
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Jun 21, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions