Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

PSP 3000 vs. PS Vita: you make the call.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 70 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:43:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 4:43:55 AM PST
That seems like a matter of personal preference. I find the original 3DS without or without the extended life battery very comfortable to hold, and the XL is fine too. I find the Vita a little awkward at times due to the rear touchpad, but since I had to put a Nerf case on mine (I share my Vita with the dwarf), that helped some.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:05:21 AM PST
I can't deny that I hate touch screens of any kind, and putting on the back was even more pointless.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:10:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 5:11:40 AM PST
That makes a difference. :) I don't actually hate touchscreens. For me personally, touchscreen controls can sometimes work well, but it just depends on the game. I have to admit, though, it took me a while (and a rather bulky case) to get used to that rear touchpad on the Vita. At first, I was always bumping it accidentally while holding the system, and that was really problematic for certain games. I still find using the rear touchpad feels a little like blind bumbling and hoping for the best.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:14:06 AM PST
I don't think i own a game that uses the read touchpad so I don't have to worry about. I will always hate touchscreens, particularly if I have to let go of controls that I need to be using, while i have to touch something on the screen. Resistance burning skies was horrible at this. 3DS at least uses the touchpad more for just displaying of information, like the gamepad is for the Wii U, which I hope continues that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:58:24 AM PST
Gameresq says:
Poor application of the touchscreen technology is a software (i.e. developer) issue. All of the DS and 3DS games that I have played made effective and fun use of the touchscreen, with the notable exception of the horrendous controls in Kid Icarus: Uprising

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:00:34 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
PSP games - via Vita.

All on PSN store, play on your Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:01:38 AM PST
Couldn't agree more, but the fact that it's there means they CAN use it, and that always worrys me as to if it's required or not.

I agree that the 3DS uses it's touchscreen far better than I expected. The Vita most of the time has been fine, I think resistance burning skies was the worst one. hard to move, shoot, aim, take cover, change the camera, all while having to reload and throw grenades using the touch screen...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:07:09 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Vita without question.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:08:57 AM PST
Gameresq says:
I did not play Resistance: Burning Skies, but I sympathize with your plight of poor implementation of the touchscreen mechanic. The move/aim etc. touchscreen controls in Kid Icarus:Uprising were just dreadful. I almost did not finish the game.

I share your concern about the rear control touchscreen, but Classic seems to like it and she has generally good taste in games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:11:23 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Burning Skies is a very shallow experience, but the move/aim is flawless in that game. Kid Icarus: Uprising was alright, but the controls made no sense at all. They could've made it so much better with the current 3DS layout, but didn't.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:14:15 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I already made my decision, I picked the vita during the black friday sales. I decided that given my gift cards would make it about the same price that I'd get the vita for future games. All my PSOne games work perfectly on it even though I had to sideload a few from the PS3 since they weren't on the vita store.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:15:13 AM PST
Actually there are quite a few notable missing PSP games on the PSN. Crisis Core comes to mind, and quite a few more can't be downloaded directly to the Vita as well. That being said, I agree that if it was between the PSP and Vita I'd go Vita 100% of the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:19:18 AM PST
I can't really think of any game that i've played that uses the read touchpad so I can't actually comment on that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:21:28 AM PST
Gameresq says:
I bought a PSP just to play Crisis Core. I waited for a long time, thinking it would become available for PSP Go, but it never happened :( Finally, I broke down and bought a PSP 2000. It was worth it.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:23:03 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
Definately Vita.

Picking up my PSP after playing the Vita feels like picking up a cheap toy - and I loved the PSP in its day.

PS1 and PSP games on the Vita look, sound, and control 100x better.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:39:07 AM PST
Class of Heroes 2 is still due, and Atlus may still give us Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.

There are still games being made for it, the question is whether they'll come to America.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:56:29 AM PST
You can just get them on the Vita anyway.

And P2 is already on the PSN.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:04:10 AM PST
PSP for me. I just got it several months ago and for the same price as the Vita, I have over 30 games to keep me busy before I decide if I want a Vita or 3DS. I am looking forward to the graphics update when I purchase my next handheld.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:07:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:08:02 AM PST
That's Innocent Sin, not Eternal Punishment.

I still don't see the advantage to buying a $250 machine now when you could buy a $100 machine instead, and letting that tide you over till you buy the $250 machine in a year or two when it's $150 or less, has a better library, and may have a better hardware revision.

Two for the price of one (or less) seems like a better deal to me. Maybe that's just me.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:07:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:10:56 AM PST
Lucanus says:
PSP Go for me. The Vita is overpriced and the game lineup is meh. The PSP has a great lineup and works with ps1 classics. There is a reason why the PSP is still outselling the Vita in Japan. The PSP Go, IMHO, is a great handheld. I enjoyed mine, I got it used a few years back for $100. The best thing about it, it uses a much more standard memory card for expansion. :)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:19:34 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
I think a lot of you guys are downplaying how much more comfortable the Vita is and how much better the screen is. If I were very limited on funds and didn't have either, I would consider a PSP. If i just want to go with the best most convenient way to play handheld games I will buy the Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:24:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:25:21 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Sure and an iPad 3 is better than a Google Nexus. Price always plays a role in decisions. For me the Vita is $250 plus at least $50 for a nice memory card. I just, personally, wouldn't drop $300 on a portable gaming machine. I don't mean to offend Vita fans, but that is the way I personally see it. To each their own. Not when a PSPGo can be bought used on Amazon in good condition for $100 with 16 gb internal memory. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:27:28 AM PST
I haven't played a Vita enough to get a solid impression of the screen, and I've only played Vita games on them, so I can't compare directly how the same game would look on either. I get that the screen is better, but graphics and screen quality alone, especially considering the PSP's already good screen, don't seem like a significant reason to go for one over the other as long as there are other factors involved.

I also haven't noticed the Vita being any more comfortable than the PSP--in fact, I generally hear the opposite, considering the placement of the back touch screen.

And I think you guys are downplaying just how awesome it is to have your entire SNES, NES, Genesis, and Atari library on the go.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:29:29 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
"I think a lot of you guys are downplaying how much more comfortable the Vita is and how much better the screen is."

Gotta second this, as well.

I found the PSP to be slightly uncomfortable - and, for me at least, the design placement of the power/reset switch was bad because I kept hitting it while playing. But, again, I still thought it rocked.

The Vita's screen is great - and it feels comfortable. Now, it did take a few days before I was completely comfortable with how it felt - and I went so far as to buy an add-on clampy-thing that made it feel more like a Six-Axis / Xbox controller, but I ended up preferring the Vita without add-ons, and it feels great to me now - even after playing it for long periods.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:32:38 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Good for you. Whatever makes you happy and helps you game the way you want.

My personal opinion is the PSPGo is a piece of junk with a tiny screen and it wouldn't get played even a fraction of the amount my Vita does. I would rather spend the extra and get the gaming experience I want.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Five Video Game Franchises That Lost Their Way 2 3 minutes ago
Your Top Ten Favorite Games? 5 19 minutes ago
PC Gaming: i5-6600K or i7-6700K? 44 59 minutes ago
4K HDR TV shopping 3 1 hour ago
OT: Hillary Clinton has escaped prosecution more times than El Chapo 10 1 hour ago
OT: Ghostbuster 2016, what went wrong 66 2 hours ago
Name as many crossovers as you would like to see, all media formats if you choose 0 3 hours ago
OT: looks like whoever closed out the main OT got banned spamming it to death so I guess this is the new main OT 3942 4 hours ago
Microsoft exclusive ReCore is superb fun and just what the Xbox One needs 153 4 hours ago
Top 5 New IPs This Gen 79 5 hours ago
Weekend Gaming Thread 7/29 - 7/31: Imagine something overly witty written here comically reflecting on the events of the past week. 64 5 hours ago
Rate the last videogame you bought. 14 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  70
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  May 13, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions