Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

CVG looks at the Vita's first year

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 79 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:28:49 AM PST
It was met with applause by the people at E3 who are (at least are supposed to be) journalists and industry professionals, who mostly exist in their own little bubble (these people also cheered when a guy got shotgunned in the face in "the Last of Us" trailer.)

The actual marketplace's opinion on the $249 price point is reflected in the Vita's sales.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:32:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 10:32:39 AM PST
Stopped reading after, "Nor does the system offer the kind of portable experience available on smartphones."

Yeah, the Vita has good games and the controls work. It's a superior portable experience in every way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:34:32 AM PST
That was also before the proprietary memory cards were revealed.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:35:06 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 18, 2012 11:52:36 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:02:36 AM PST
I truly enjoy my Vita. I play it darn near on a daily basis while laying in bed. Right now I am playing Lego:LoTR. Fantastic game on the Vita. I switch between this and Assassins Creed:Liberation which is also a fantastic game. Vita is a Great piece of hardware and has very good games.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:11:16 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Keyword = luxury

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:30:53 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
This is true. My nephews want a 3DS, not a vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:02:58 PM PST
Nintendo is for babiez.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:08:36 PM PST
I think some people are missing the point of the article (which in all fairness was very long.) There is no dispute that the Vita is a high quality handheld. The issue is how Sony chooses to handle it. From the excerpt:

>>>"The future for Vita is not clear - there are too few publicly known projects in the pipeline to determine where it will be at the end of its second year. Sony will likely back it for at least another 18 months, but it needs to work harder with more bravery and conviction. Delegating doomed Call of Duty games to third-party studios will not make Vita any more desirable, nor will the growing library of home console ports."<<<

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:13:25 PM PST
I fall into the wait and see. I just bought a PSP this year and love it. Even more with the games so cheap.
I'll probably do something similar with the Vita if it makes it.
When I'm done with my PSP, I'll pick up the 3DS before the Vita.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:05:51 AM PST
Coffee says:
Even though I picked one up during the BF sale, I think that Sony keeps shooting itself in the foot with the lack of backwards compatibility in its devices.

Sure, you can play old PSP and PS1 games you download from the network, but not being able to play the physical copies of games you own for the PSP may have hurt sales from early adopters looking to upgrade. It's a good system, and very impressive for a handheld, but the high costs, coupled with the not-so-hidden-anymore tax on memory cards tends to turn away all but the most dedicated of gamers.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:07:55 AM PST
"The future for Vita is not clear - there are too few publicly known projects in the pipeline to determine where it will be at the end of its second year."

Does anyone truly believe that the Vita will have zero support this next year? Just because we haven't heard about games doesn't mean they're not coming.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:24:26 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
lol, you kind of sounded like a a Wii owner at the end of 2010 trying to find titles to look forward to in 2011.

* They did come out, but it was a pretty rough year.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:27:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 10:55:46 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
I wish people would stop bringing up PSP disc compatability. Sony chose discs for the PSP - it was silly and not really viable long term. They NEEDED to make a break from the format. It was a necessity as is it fully unrealistic to think they'd put a disc drive in the Vita.

Call me in 5 years when they release their 3rd handheld and there is zero Vita cart compatibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:36:55 AM PST
The article makes it sound as though there's absolutely nothing coming out next year. That Sony has already abandoned it, and that third parties aren't working on any Vita titles. That's simply not true, and completely unrealistic.

Also, even the PSP had more worthwhile games than the Wii in any given year.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:44:44 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Depends on your frame of mind, The Wii and the PSP had a very symbiotic relationship for a while, especially when publishers did direct ports from the PSP to the Wii to try and recoup original development expenses.

It's possible that the Vita may benefit from the WiiU in the same fashion. When games are developed and sent out to die for another Sony portable, publishers will always have the option of a direct WiiU port to try and get back into the black on what was orignaly a really bad business decision in the first place </trolling>

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:00:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:06:00 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Do you honestly think the Vita owner has a rough year ahead in face of the known games in development due to release to compare it to the Wii's last year ?lol

Because i've looked at the 3DS in comparison for 2013 and i'm not seeing anything past the first half of the year either.

3DS
Unchained Blades
Fire Emblem
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
Luigi's Mansion
Castlevania
Lego City Undercover
Monster Hunter 3
Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Vita
R&C Full Frontal Assault
Zone of the Enders HD Collection
Sly Cooper
The Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable
DoA 5 Plus
Kick Beat
Rainbow Moon
Guacamelee
MLB 13: The Show
TBA 2013- Killzone Mercenary , Tearaway, Dragon's Crown and Soul Sacrifice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_in_video_gaming

I don't see much scheduled for either platform for second half of 2013, and hardly any games post that announced period. Portables seem to outlook 6 months at a clip.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:13:30 AM PST
Coffee says:
Hold on there for a tic. I'm not saying that it's just the Vita, look at the PS3. The fat models used to play old PS2 games, then they removed that feature. Players who wanted to play their old libraries had to either keep an old PS2 lying around, or re-purchase the game in digital form. Kind of puts a sour taste in your mouth when thinking of upgrading to the newer system.

For players who wanted to jump from the PSP to the Vita, they had to do the same thing -- keep their old PSP around, or repurchase their library in the digital form (coupled with the high price of Vita memory cards and not-so-strong launch titles probably kept many from making the jump). I completely understand that disk media for handhelds is going to the wayside, but it's not there yet. Putting in a disk drive wouldn't really HURT the Vita, would it? If anything it may have justified the price a bit more. It's not like you heard Nintendo tell their customers "Nope, you just purchased a 3DS, you gotta re-buy those old DS and DSi games in digital form if you want to keep playing them on your shiny new device!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:18:22 AM PST
The writer is not arguing that the Vita will have zero support next year. In fact, he says that Sony will likely continue to support the Vita for at least another 18 months.

What he is saying is that it is not possible to give a fair assessment about the Vita's second year without knowing more about next year's lineup.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:18:31 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
You have to think of the design factor with something like that as well though. To add in the option to still play UMDs they would have either had to make the Vita much fatter or take away new features that the system offered.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:22:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:43:23 AM PST
I agree that the UMD format was not viable for the next five years. However, this is another example of Sony shooting themselves in the foot because handhelds traditionally offer backwards compatibility for the previous generation...at least for the first model. I don't think most people want to carry two systems around and backwards compatibility means we can carry over our existing libraries until the new system gets more games under its belt.

What this means is that Sony should not have used the UMD format in the first place. Because those of us who supported Sony by purchasing lots of their UMD games were given the middle finger and told to buy our games again on PSN...if they're available (Crisis Core.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 9:40:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 11:48:22 AM PST
I must admit, Keeping my old(it is actually new) PSP lying around does take up the whole house. Don't get me started on the PS2. I had to add a room to the house to make sure it fit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:00:28 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Hey, I agree, Sony should have never gone with the UMD format. But what can you (or they) do about it now - it's spilled milk so to speak.

So, like I said, let's see where the Vita2 gets us because I agree, backwards compat is indeed a selling point for handhelds.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:04:31 AM PST
I don't think there will be a third handheld from Sony (which is a loss to us as gamers.) I'm not even certain how long Nintendo will be able to offer handhelds.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:21:13 AM PST
MY BABY GIRL(ML) Game Card for Nintendo DS / DSI Video Game
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions