Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Persona 4 Vita Getting Rave Reviews: Metacritic score of 96

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 65 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:58:17 AM PST
Jawwaad says:
I'm sure this is a great game but the Persona series has a cult following and isn't mainstream so it might help the Vita somewhat but not to the point that overall sales will be outstanding. The Persona series can't do for the Vita what the Mario series can do for the 3DS.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:00:16 AM PST
Bulbachutwo says:
I've been hearing a lot about this. Anyone who has played these games before willing to give me a quick summary of gameplay? Also, do I need to play the others b4 playing this one to understand it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:46:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 2:05:30 AM PST
S. Dweller says:
No, you don't need to play the previous entries in the series, the stories are not connected. However, the general theme of each Persona game is usually dark and set in a high school setting with strong RPG mechanics coupled with social/dating interactions that especially in Persona 3/Persona 4 improve your 'Personas', kind of like Summons in the Final Fantasy series.

In Persona 3, the game that reignited the Persona craze, you'll be in one main city and go from place to place and after school meet with people throughout the day to establish and maintain 'social links' that will enhance your Personas attributes. The 'Personas' are like Demigod anthropomorphic spirits-of-sorts that help you in your battles in Tartarus. Tartarus is where you spend most of the game and is this tower that spirals up and each floor you progress you fight monsters until you reach a boss. This part of the gameplay would be the most linear, but it doesn't get old as the game is built on solid battle mechanics and I found the battles to be overall pretty fun.

The gameplay is usually linear and they're somewhat long games, but don't let that deter you from purchasing them. They have great stories and even though a high school setting, the stories are usually adult themed.

Many people fell in love with Persona 3 when it was released and the follow up Persona 3 FES is an improved version with additional chapter of gameplay and other added goodies. FES would be the version you would want to get and I believe it is only 19.99 here on Amazon. Persona 4 would be a nice follow up but I would highly recommend starting with Persona 3 FES. I enjoyed this game and put in over 200 hours into it.

So if you like Anime, dark things, anime-dark-things with good stories, then Persona will almost assuredly be your game of choice. Some people don't like the series, but it's definitely not a love/hate thing like some games. Give it a try, if you like JRPGs you most likely won't be disappointed.

And sorry I didn't read that you were interested in the Persona 4 Golden, basically everything that was done in Persona 3 was done better in Persona 4, and Persona 4 wouldn't be a bad starting place either. The Vita version looks spectacular and is well worth the price of admission.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 4:32:26 AM PST
Geomancer says:
I'll buy it ........ if the Vita gets any more turn-based RPGs. Not worth buying a console for one game that I can also just buy for the PS2.

I'm so sad this genre is almost dead (at least in the US) and honestly, I don't see it making a comeback. I have a sliver of hope, but that's it. After all, XCOM did well and that was a turn-based strategy game ... but still.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:43:19 AM PST
Aku says:
Pretty much all my friends have warned me about P4's music, storyline and characters being less interesting than P3's, and since those are the three things I enjoyed most, I'll be very pleasantly surprised if P4 indeed does them better. But as long as they don't completely suck, it should still entertain me for a long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:44:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 4:45:44 AM PST
I think it's mostly dead cause... it's kinda slow.

I wouldn't mind a fast paced turn based game. But those don't seem to exist. It's click a button and wait for a while before you can click another button... usually the same button/option. It's kinda been the same with P3 that I picked up to try it out. Group of enemies, all weak to ice? Cast Bufu, wait, Cast bufu, wait, Cast Bufu, wait, Cast bufu... battle over enemies never got to do anything.

In our fast paced COD World... this may not be appealing to folks anymore. I prefer ATB or a combat like Start Ocean's myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:49:16 AM PST
Aku says:
Once you get far enough into P3, certain challenges will appear that will destroy you. None of that "all three enemies are weak to bufu" crap for those. Some of those bosses in Tartarus can be a bit cheap with their physical reflect or megi skills, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:53:29 AM PST
That's good to hear.

I do like that Status Ailments are very powerful in this and can actually work on bosses. I fought a trio of spell casters and was able to inflict panic on all of them, making them useless.

Personally i'm not totally against Turn based, and persona has done it well so far, there are other games where it is far less exciting. I can't remember what game it was but every attack that i did took like 20 seconds, and it got real boring REAL fast. Was a low budget indie game.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:06:28 AM PST
klopas says:
Wish there were some pre-order deals for Persona 4. I missed out on the $10 off $39.99 deal on Newegg and I've got this pre-ordered on Amazon for the full price. Not a big deal, but $10 is $10.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:56:07 AM PST
Geomancer says:
Yes, some drag on with too many lengthy special attacks (I'm looking at you NIS) but there are lots that don't take decades to play.

I don't much care for action RPGs. It becomes too much of a 'how fast can you press buttons' game instead of a 'how much can you think ahead' game.

Too often they fall into one or more traps. 1) Too many random encounters, which includes games that technically are not random, but make it impossible to avoid on screen enemies. 2) Too weak random enemies, this is where a game gets boring because you can't possibly loose and just have to spam the 'attack' button. 3) Insainly hard bosses that force hours of grinding in the #2 problem stated before

I think they'd do beter if they just had quick, basic attacks and magic. All attacks should have a special property that makes them have a use, and 'mobs' should require you to use different styles to defeat (no mash attack button = win), and bosses should be challenging, but possible with no grinding. Leave the super bosses as optional side bosses.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:06:03 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Good thing it's still a 96. If it dipped below it would automatically become garbage and I wouldn't be buying a half-price Vita on Black Friday.

Gift cards, I love you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:10:41 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Wait Mario Galaxy being the highest rated exclusive doesn't matter to you, but Persona being the highest rated handheld game does? I am confused.

Personally I wish Persona 4 were remade on the ps3.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:12:05 AM PST
Persona? Wtf is that? Imma go play black ops 2

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:14:43 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
No!! Have you seen all the content they have added?? It is like a completely new game!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:17:04 AM PST
Lucanus says:
SDF rule #613

Sony remakes=new game, see Persona 4 and Okami HD for details
Competition remakes=rehash, see Halo Anniversary for details

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:43:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 8:43:57 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Ninstationbox rule #1

Troll by constantly bringing up Vita sales and the SDF.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:47:41 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Remember when you said the end was nigh for Nintendo... LMAO, good times.

Oh and the Dolphins suck. Enjoy watching the Pats in the playoffs..... again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:49:20 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Remember when you said that the Vita would outsell the 3DS and then changed your position on the subject and have not stopped trolling ever since.

PS - I hate football.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:50:33 AM PST
Lucanus says:
If I were a Dolphins fan, I'd hate football too. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:52:50 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
And if I were you I would probably go back to the broom closet and do more experiments, you are kind of a laughing stock around here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:55:10 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Yes and everybody thinks so highly of you!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:56:50 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Go back to bed little girl, it seems like you got out of your Barbie bed on the wrong side this morning.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:59:41 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Oh, calling somebody a girl. Very creative. I haven't heard that since I was in 2nd grade.

BTW, Dolphins suck.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:01:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:03:12 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
You told me you were a girl, you're not??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:31:18 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I'd rather have Persona 5 made on the PS3.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions