Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

7 Signs PlayStation Vita Is a Disaster

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 171 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:12:48 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
A system seller is all preferential though. I will buy a 3DS eventually and will buy X or Y down the line but neither are a system seller for me at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:13:01 PM PST
Joel H. says:
That's because the average user isn't old enough to legally view it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:17:42 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
Soul Sacrifice will be that system seller. I got a Oskar Guarantee™ on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:40:30 PM PST
JWK says:
On the PSP: "Things miraculously picked up in Japan off the success of Monster Hunter, but it was far too little and far too late."

80 million PSPs sold worldwide. Eighty. million. units. That's pretty damn good for the miserable failure this article makes the PSP out to be.

On the Vita: "To top it all off, it is often outsold week on week by its 7-year-old predecessor PSP - roughly the equivalent of the iPhone 5 getting outsold by the iPod Mini."

So, the iPhone 5's direct predecessor is the iPod Mini? What's that? It's *not*? Oh wow... it's almost like gaming consoles and phones are... DIFFERENT!

This is what happens when a gaming article is written by someone who knows nothing about the video game industry.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:44:49 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
This.

Also, this section here is a real gem:

"Sony's First-Party Games Are Weak

Sony's fans won't want to hear this, but the gaming public is getting less and less interested in its in-house games. Most of its best exclusives are based on genres (platforming, hack-n-slash) that have long since gone out of favor. Sorry Sony, but Mario is the only guy who can make a living platforming these days."

This can be boiled down to the author saying, "I don't like Sony's games". Then assuming no one else does either. Mario is the only guy who can do platformers? Check out Ratchet & Clank or Rayman Origins/Legends.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 2:46:12 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Jason is like M with these articles. Minimal trolling effort, maximum results.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:48:10 PM PST
"80 million PSPs sold worldwide. Eighty. million. units. That's pretty damn good for the miserable failure this article makes the PSP out to be."

He never called the PSP a miserable failure, he merely noted that it got steamrolled by the DS (which it did.) If not for the revival due to Monster Hunter then even the niche titles the PSP got late in life probably would never have surfaced for that system.

"So, the iPhone 5's direct predecessor is the iPod Mini? What's that? It's *not*? Oh wow... it's almost like gaming consoles and phones are... DIFFERENT!"

He never used the words "direct predecessor." He said that the Vita is being outsold by it's 7 year old predecessor. The first iPod Mini was sold in 2004 whereas the Vita first launched in late 2011 so it is a roughly analogous situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:49:03 PM PST
How well have the most recent Ratchet & Clank games done to push Sony systems? (Rayman is not a Sony title.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:49:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 2:50:12 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
Wow, I didn't get that far into the article but that section is just ridiculous.

Yes, Mario is obviously the best selling platformer ever. Does that mean its the only game that can succeed in that genre? Not on this man's life. That's as ridiculous as saying that all genres should not be made because FPS is the top selling genre so that's the only one that matters.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:50:03 PM PST
Out of curiosity, do you think I was trolling this morning when I posted that Hotline Miami was coming to Vita?

Don't blame the messenger.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 2:50:07 PM PST
Skull Kid  says:
The Vita is just a powerhouse that received very little support.Also Sony is not exploiting the systems main qualities.Lets start with the online play.Whats the point of pumping out a system that supposedly excels at online play with a a launch game showing that off?And the grace period is almost up.They need to have a better line up of games already.i am approaching the end of Persona 4 golden and am sad knowing that there isn't anything else that compels me to use the system.As far as persona 4 goes i would play through you a second time and give away another 100 plus hours of my life gladly :p

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:51:03 PM PST
>>He said that the Vita is being outsold by it's 7 year old predecessor.<<

Only in Japan.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:52:08 PM PST
How do the Vita's global numbers compare to the PSP's global numbers at this point in it's lifetime?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:52:18 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
The point was that Mario games aren't the only ones that can do platforming well, which is why I also mentioned Rayman.

Not liking Sony games is a personal preference, and basing your argument on a personal opinion as if it's a common sentiment is just bad writing. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Unit 13, Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational are pretty great first-party games on Vita. Gravity Rush is probably the best portable game of 2012, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:52:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 2:53:11 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
That was an announcement. This is an editorial.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:53:45 PM PST
I dont know.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 2:55:27 PM PST
Price was the main factor for me for any consoles/portable alike. $180 for white Vita bundle was no brainer best deal to date.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:57:42 PM PST
Well, LBP is Sony's best franchise in my opinion and even it does not push systems very well. Ubisoft does well with Rayman and those are great games but Ubisoft doesn't have to worry about pushing systems.

The fact is, sales on most of Sony's first party titles aren't that high. Go back two years and look at the numbers for all of the games by Sony and compare them to third party titles.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:58:15 PM PST
Did you think I was trolling with all of the articles I posted about slow 3DS sales? Or how about the ones I posted about Wii U sales?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:58:28 PM PST
Then why argue what you do not know?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:58:47 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
So do you think the Vita is a disaster or not? We wouldn't be able to tell by the way you post.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 3:00:18 PM PST
Skull Kid  says:
gravity rush seemed some what shallow to me, far from GOTY imo.Fresh concepts and new game play style cannot compensated for its lack of real depth.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 3:00:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 3:01:54 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
You have to be more specific. Almost nobody trolls all the time. It's a case by case thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 3:02:19 PM PST
I've stated my position on the Vita multiple times right here on VGF. Do you really need me to post it again? Very well.

The Vita can be a successful system for Sony the moment they begin to start taking it seriously. The Vita has lost too much sales momentum to overtake the 3DS. It will never be a device that is popular with the mainstream unless Sony packs it in as a PS4 controller but it can follow a similar path that the PSP did. If Sony works hard with the Vita then it can have a life cycle with sales of roughly half of what the 3DS sells and host a lot of quality niche titles just like the PSP did and continues to do. It's really up to Sony.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 3:03:11 PM PST
I'm not arguing. I'm just saying that the PSP is currently outselling the Vita only in Japan.
Which is accurate.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  171
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2013
Latest post:  8 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions