Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Summary of the Legislation on the 2013 Assault Weapons Ban

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 220 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:59:14 AM PST
Voice of god says:
I believe the idea is that you get more water on your front from the increased forward motion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:59:50 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
That's an old Abbott and Costollo skit. What you said about getting less wet by running through the rain reminded me of that where he's speeding and using more gas to get to the gas station faster because he's running out of gas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:00:36 PM PST
You're not cool with people target shooting? That's ridiculous. Move to a country that bans all guns then, since that seems to be your mentality.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:02:50 PM PST
A LITTLE GUN HISTORY
In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. >From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated
In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.
China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated
Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.
Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!
The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.
With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.
During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!
If you value your freedom, please spread this antigun-control message to all of your friends.
SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:03:03 PM PST
I agree. Just because some idiot would use it for nefarious purposes doesn't mean a law-abiding citizen like myself should face difficulty in obtaining weapons. This is a slippery slope. I don't know if any of you noticed, but you can't buy a nuclear weapon on Amazon. Thanks, Saddam.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:04:26 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Theoretically yes, but in real life if you are hauling it through a downpour you run the risk of stepping in puddles and soaking your legs. A high speed of running could cause more water to be kicked up from the puddles and cause more overall wetness than the person that walked through or around the puddles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:05:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 12:05:27 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Listen dude, even if those 56 million had guns they still would have been going up against the army of their country. Let me know how your piddly gun collection holds up against Apache helicopters, tanks, submarines, aircraft carriers, jet airplanes and the best trained military force on the planet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:06:08 PM PST
I thought we were just saying dumb things, so I was playing along.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:06:25 PM PST
Voice of god says:
I would really prefer it if you would actually read the words I write and respond to those. As much as you would like me to be your straw man, I am not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:06:33 PM PST
But that's a misconception. It's true you get wet faster the faster you move but the amount of water you run into is determined by how far you run/walk. For example if I ran or walked 300 feet the amount of water I walked/ran into would be (300ft) x (area of my body) and wouldn't change regardless of speed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:06:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 12:09:21 PM PST
Well with that attitude, could I please have your address so I can come and take whatever I want with no fear of resistance?

Also, the American government wouldn't exist anymore if they started using tanks, aircraft, etc. against their own people. The American people can't stomache a little torture they sure as hell won't allow that.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:06:50 PM PST
JWK says:
If we were miraculously able to ban all guns and mass murderers started killing people by bludgeoning them with hammers, I wonder if we could solve that problem by banning all hammers. I bet it will work.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:06:56 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
This thread is frickin Looney tunes

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:07:43 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
There's no strawman. You said that people shouldn't be cool (read: accepting) of target shooting. What other conclusion could be drawn from your statement?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:09:17 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Those governments wouldn't be sending helicopters and tanks to round up civilians they wanted to exterminate. They would send in armed soldiers. Guns work well against armed soldiers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:10:47 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
So, pro-gun people mostly have this Rambo fantasy... Or, is it just the few here.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:11:23 PM PST
I wasn't factoring you being a klutz.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:14:22 PM PST
No Rambo fantasy. By your logic, you are ok if the government says you can buy an automobile but not a sports car. After all, nobody NEEDS to go 200 mph. Changes do need to be made but an outright ban accomplishes nothing. I am ok with mandatory waiting periods, background checks, psych evals but don't throw out the constitution for anything. What's next, forcing you to believe in a certain religion?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:14:46 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
What about a real life scenario like Hurricane Katrina where the police were useless and people were getting robbed raped and killed? I bet a firearm would be good to defend yourself in that situation. Did the bad guys have guns?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:15:48 PM PST
Don't compare building bombs to target shooting then. You were the one to make the comparison, not I.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:15:56 PM PST
Probably forcing you to gay marry.

You do know there are restrictions on what kind of vehicles you can purchase here right?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:16:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 12:27:28 PM PST
Voice of god says:
<<<SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!>>>

As trustworthy as copy-pasted chain e-mails are, all of these points are false.

Switzerland issues guns to males age 20-30 after they complete military and weapons training as part of the national militia. They are not issued ammunition. In the event of an emergency, they have to go to an armory to get their ammunition. If they want to practice shooting, they can go to a gun range and purchase subsidized ammo, but all ammo must be used right there at the gun range.

There are a number of civilized countries with lower rates of gun-related crime and death, notably Japan, which is listed in your post. Japan bans basically all guns except for shotguns and rifles for hunting and target shooting. Citizens have to jump through a lot of hoops to get licensed for those as well, including a shooting proficiency test, written and psychological exams, and police-verified safe storage.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:16:30 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Not sure what you mean. There is no Rambo fantasy. You seemed to be saying, in response to the history lesson above about governments instituting gun control and then killing unarmed citizens, that an armed citizenry wouldn't have changed anything because any guns they might have owned wouldn't have been able to stand up to jets, tanks, etc. I was just making the point that the government wouldn't be rounding up citizens with these machines. Actual military would go into people's homes to abduct them. Guns in the home would have been extremely beneficial in such a case.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:17:28 PM PST
Why do you have to ruin his point with all your stupid facts?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:19:09 PM PST
"Switzerland issues males age 20-30 after they complete military and weapons training as part of the national militia. They are not issued ammunition. In the event of an emergency, they have to go to an armory to get their ammunition. If they want to practice shooting, they can go to a gun range and purchase subsidized ammo, but all ammo must be used right there at the gun ranger."

Sounds good to me. Let's do this.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  220
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions