Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Supreme Court to hear two gay marriage cases next year

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 527 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:47:06 AM PST
Sparhawk says:
Because it does significantly less harm than, say, alcohol consumption.

Anyone ever get killed by Driving While Married?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:49:54 AM PST
Nightmare says:
This goes back to the argument I had on another thread. what is your source for knowing what's right or wrong, and how do you define "wrong?"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:57:40 AM PST
Banner says:
This

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:58:30 AM PST
I think denying people's rights for no reason is wrong. I'm not going to apologize for that. Just like people that think that being gay is evil shouldn't apologize.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:59:17 AM PST
Banner says:
Commen sense

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:04:59 AM PST
Nightmare says:
Fair enough.

"Commen sense"

Ok, the vast majority of Americans' common sense tells them that gay marriage is wrong. By that logic, gay marriage is most certainly wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:06:27 AM PST
I think Ben Franklin said something of the lines of: Common sense isn't very common.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:07:44 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Ben Franklin was gay for french who-ers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:10:38 AM PST
Nightmare says:
And therefore not a base for argumentation. Common sense is 100% subjective. What is commons sense to one person may not be for another. So who's common sense is correct, and how would you find out such a thing?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:10:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 8:14:46 AM PST
Ice King says:
I don't think it's common sense that says it's wrong to ban gay marriage, just decency.

To anyone against it, just ask yourself a simple question: How does it hurt me in any real way?

Gay marriage doesn't negate heterosexual marriage.

They don't hand out a limited number of marriage licenses each year so that allowing gay marriages will prevent new heterosexual ones.

No one will be forced to get gay married. Or if they are, it won't be more common than forced heterosexual marriages.

If the only negative you can come up with to be against something is that you just don't like it or you believe it's wrong, then your opinion is only valid to yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:11:34 AM PST
You got numbers to back up that "vast majority?" Looks to me more like a vocal minority.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:24:09 AM PST
Nightmare says:
I'm not for banning gay marriage, and if anything I'm for eliminating any government involvement in marriage, period. I'm just arguing against the idea that "anybody against gay marriage is WRONG, or lacks COMMON SENSE" is unfounded (unless some evidence can be provided). People have different opinions, and that's perfectly fine. But to attack certain opinions as being incorrect, I expect evidence to back it up.

"You got numbers to back up that "vast majority?" Looks to me more like a vocal minority."

Thanks for asking this. I just looked up the recent polls, and it looks like there is a slight lead in the polls supporting the legalization of gay marriage. Of course, polls aren't always accurate, and considering that the laws in support for gay marriage consistently fail to be passed, it looks like there is still some majority against it. But I am willing to concede the possibility that there is no longer a majority against it.

Either way, even according to the polls, the split is pretty even. Which still makes the point that common sense can't be used as the base for moral judgment. Half of the population's common sense differs from the other half.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:25:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 8:25:52 AM PST
Yeah, but an even split, even with a slight lead in favor of banning gay marriage is hardly a vast majority. I know the numbers skewed more toward majority back in 2001, but things have definitely changed in the last 11 years.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:26:41 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Anybody against equal rights for all is WRONG and deserves to be ATTACKED.

Source: history

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 8:29:38 AM PST
"I'm not for banning gay marriage, and if anything I'm for eliminating any government involvement in marriage, period."

Out of curiosity who would you leave it with?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:30:08 AM PST
Ice King says:
The way I see it, being against gay marriage is pretty much the same as being against interracial marriage.
A person can think whatever they want about it for whatever reasons they want but they shouldn't have the right to impose those beliefs on anyone else.
I don't care if the majority of the people are against it, or if individual states want it or not, no one has the right to deny another person the right to live the way they want as long as they're not hurting anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:32:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 8:40:07 AM PST
"..even according to the polls, the split is pretty even. Which still makes the point that common sense can't be used as the base for moral judgment. "

...Why presume the rationalizations behind either side? What you are deeming "Common sense" is extremely vague and encompasses everything from logical precepts to religious indoctrination.

Can you explain firstly what your definition of common sense is, and secondly why common sense is [in itself] detrimental?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:33:28 AM PST
"I don't care if the majority of the people are against it, or if individual states want it or not, no one has the right to deny another person the right to live the way they want as long as they're not hurting anyone. "

While I 100% agree with you mate, The problem in general I see with the people against it, is that somehow Gay Marriage hurts them. They think that once we (Myself and others whoa re gay) start getting married then somehow the world will end, "God" will rain down vengeance etc...

It's time like these I always return to one of my Favorite Quotes from the late George Carlin: "If these people want to get married and be miserable like the rest of us LET THEM. Leave these people alone!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:35:44 AM PST
I just want to go to a gay wedding, I just can't even imagine the fabulousness! Also a higher probability that the music will be fun to dance to. I'm a very snazzy dancer.

I would say that allowing gay marriage would, in all seriousness, be a boon for the economy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:38:31 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 14, 2012 8:38:39 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:41:18 AM PST
Nightmare says:
So, we should have equal rights for murderers? If not, why? History had plenty of murderers.

"Out of curiosity who would you leave it with?"

Individuals. I don't understand why government ever got involved with it in the first place. Marriage is more of a religious institution in the first place. And in the secular sense it pretty much just means that two people are committing to each other. Where does government fall into this equation?

"The way I see it, being against gay marriage is pretty much the same as being against interracial marriage.
A person can think whatever they want about it for whatever reasons they want but they shouldn't have the right to impose those beliefs on anyone else.
I don't care if the majority of the people are against it, or if individual states want it or not, no one has the right to deny another person the right to live the way they want as long as they're not hurting anyone."

I agree with you here as far as the Federal Level goes. But the States has the legal right to do whatever their constitutions allow.

"Why presume the intentions of either side? What you are deeming "Common sense" is extremely vague and encompasses everything from logical precepts to religious indoctrination.

Can you explain firstly what your definition of common sense is, and why - when implemented in a rational manor - it is a negative?"

As far as I'm concerned, common sense is what somebody generally believes to be true apart from outside environments and circumstances. But you make a good point about indoctrination. We are all indoctrinated a certain way, no matter where we come from. Either by our parents, friends, religion, society, etc. Again, this is why "common sense" can't be used as an argument. Everybody's "common sense" is diluted and biased in some form or fashion, and it's 100% subjective. Objective, absolute, universal morals can't come from common sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:46:26 AM PST
I would have to disappoint then. Even if I chose to get married (Something I don't actually care for personally) It would be a simple legal affair, no ceremony no overly expensive anything just the 2 of us and 2 witnesses at a courthouse... or however it works.

My Sister's wedding was insanely expensive. I was in shock at how pricey it was. My parents said If I wanted one like that I could, or have the = money as cash for living expenses. I would opt for the second.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:49:21 AM PST
"So, we should have equal rights for murderers? If not, why? History had plenty of murderers."

Ridiculous, you've lost the message here. But I'll bite: when someone commits murder they give up their rights as a citizen. To equate being gay to being a murderer makes it look like you have a clear agenda here, and can no longer be trusted as someone who is arguing a rational point.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:49:57 AM PST
Something I still kick myself over to this day: Wife's family footed the bill for the wedding, but when they came to us one of the options they offered was to help us with a downpayment on a house and to have the reception there. We turned it down because I was still potentially going to be a minister at that point and I didn't know where I would be sent, where I would be going to Seminary, any of it.

In retrospect, there's no way we could have afforded a house, but still... I kick myself about turning it down.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:50:29 AM PST
My wife and I spent about $5,000, had a small group of people, and people are still talking about how fun it was 3 years later. It's all about doing it the way YOU want to, not the way the magazines think you HAVE to do it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  527
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions