Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Gran Turismo 5 sales surpass 9 million - encroaching on Forza lifetime sales

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 77 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2012 4:14:37 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
http://gamer.blorge.com/2012/11/05/gran-turismo-5-sales-surpass-9-million-encroaching-on-forza-lifetime-sales/

As part of Polyphony Digital's periodic update on its official sales site, the studio revealed the latest sales uptake since the last update. According to the latest figures It appears that Gran Turismo 5 has sold a whopping 1.7 million more copies since last December.

While Gran Turismo 5 was released near the end of 2010, the game seems to continue to sell impressively to this day as the sales of the game recently crossed 9 million units. To put things into perspective, GT5 has sold fairly close to what Forza 4 (a 2011 release) sold during the same time period (December 2011 - September 2012). Forza 4 is estimated to have sold a little over 2 million during the 10 month period of its release 12 months ago.

Total franchise numbers for Gran Turismo now top 67.8 million units as of September. With sales for Gran Turismo 5 surpassing 9 million units, the single iteration is now closing in on the lifetime sales of the entire Forza franchise which is estimated to be at 12 million which includes Forza Motorsport (original Xbox), Forza 2, Forza 3 and Forza 4.

Current gen cycle releases for Polyphony Digital also include Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, which sold 5.35 million units and Gran Turismo PSP, which sold 3.86 million units bringing the sales total for all three games to 18.20 million units over the past six years.

Polyphony Digital has been praised for continuously bringing substantial updates to their games far beyond the release date. One of the most recent updates was the massive Spec 2.0 DLC, which was offered for free that brought a ton of new content to the game.

The studio also has a pretty good race car program where the best GT video game players are flown to GT Academy to duke it out for the opportunity to become a professional race car driver. Kazunori Yamauchi, head of Polyphony Digital recently confirmed that the studio is working on Gran Turismo 6 but refused to reveal the timing of the release.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:23:24 AM PST
vishock says:
Well.. to prove this article pointless as it is comparing it to Forza.. the Playstation has been the "go to" console for most gamers due to how long it has been around compared to the Xbox. Gran Turismo has also had it's foot in the door from the beginning as well. So yea. derp on sales.

GT is great as far as all of the options it has for car fans, but I still prefer Forza over it as a more fluid game for a car sim. And yes I am part of the GT5 sales.. Anywho, just my opinion.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:56:13 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:24:21 AM PST
Biggest disappointment in the history of video games from a personal standpoint.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:28:17 AM PST
Jack Pacini says:
My question is... Where is the PSVita Gran Turismo? You would think it would be at least rumored by now. I think that would be a system seller for many.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 5:30:55 AM PST
It took 246 years for GT 5. We will be colonizing LZ-426 by the time GT comes out for the Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:00:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 6:02:50 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:14:26 AM PST
Mel says:
GranTurdismo5 is moving units, mind blown

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:15:12 AM PST
they only had to drop it down to $20

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:15:31 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I would love some GT3.5 on my Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:15:57 AM PST
Totido says:
Or less. I paid 14.99

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:16:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 6:16:55 AM PST
Keller says:
Impressive I suppose, except Mario Kart Wii sold over 30 million, it broke 20+ million before being bundled (so don't start that lame arguement).

/troll

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:22:00 AM PST
"Well that's what happens when a systems best game is a racer. Pathetic."

Except that GT 5 isn't even remotely close to being the best game on the PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:23:28 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
The public seems to have voted with their wallets.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:25:34 AM PST
Voice of god says:
I think that's not really a fair comparison, since Mario Kart is actually fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:26:35 AM PST
As opposed to a an FPS with a guy in a helmet...?

Or

A plumber that keeps saving the same chick...?

What's your point?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:28:19 AM PST
"The public seems to have voted with their wallets."

That's like saying that Avatar is the best movie ever. Just because those people saw Avatar doesn't automatically mean that they also saw Star Wars, The Godfather, Citizen Kane, etc. so as to compare quality. The whole "voting with wallets" mentality is honestly not very logical.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:31:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 6:42:43 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I think the point is that its pretty odd that, with sim racers becoming a fairly niche segment in gaming, that GT5 has sold twice as much as the more critically acclaimed games on the system that are aimed at bigger markets, particularly with the segment decline in the NA market.

That is pretty telling of the system in general this gen though: its been home to lots of nickel and dime niche experiences.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:32:13 AM PST
M. McFly says:
I am confused can someone help with the math.
IF - "Gran Turismo 5 surpassing 9 million units, the single iteration is now closing in on the lifetime sales of the entire Forza franchise which is estimated to be at 12M. Yet the article states Forza 4 sold 2 million units over the last nine months while GT5 sold 1.7M units. How does being outsold over the last year = "now closing in on lifetime sales" I so stupid make no sense

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:33:59 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Except people never saw Avatar, yet a Playstation owner has been likely exposed to the last 6 or so Gran Turismo games at some point...including GT5 Prologue- therefore your example is lacking any sort of relative logic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:34:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 6:43:33 AM PST
I. Flores says:
And Microsoft had to bundle Forza almost permanently.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:35:29 AM PST
Keller says:
I am not sure why Forza doesn't sell better, given it is a much better sim racer than GT5 is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:37:24 AM PST
Is that bad though?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:37:49 AM PST
I. Flores says:
Sim racing is popular in Europe, where Sony has the upper hand

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:42:00 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Not at all. I bought a PS3 Slim for GT5, before being pushed back, yet have enjoyed some of those niche experiences as an owner despite not caring for GT5 after the fact.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  77
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions