Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

So I was thinking of playing through the final fantasy series

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2013 2:00:14 PM PST
B. Rogers says:
Or well most of them. This year I plan to play and beat, 1-10, 10-2, 12, 13 and 13-2. I don't have the time to play through 11 or 14. What do you guys think? Sounds like a fun plan? I have origins from the psn, 3 and 4 for the psp. Need to find 5 somewhere (is that on psn). 6,7, and 9 through psn. A physical copy of 8, 10, 13 and 13-2. So now all i need to get is 5, 10-2 and 12.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:02:21 PM PST
Soulshine says:
This idea is bad and you should feel bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:03:43 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Very cool. I'm pretty sure FFV is on PSN. Good luck with your quest!

I've wanted to do this as I've only played through four and a half of them, but backlog. Maybe someday...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:04:14 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Good luck! If you've never played them before, I actually recommend not going in order. The first three are really nothing special aside from their legacy (II is downright annoying). Final Fantasy IV is where the series really gets good.

I recommend starting with IV, VI or VII, then beat those three. Move on to IX, X or XIII next. Then V, VIII and XII. Then, whenever you have time, play X-2, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns (XIII-3). You can pretty much skip I-III.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 2:08:07 PM PST
Is this reasonable to play all of them in a year? Judging by the amount of time IV has taken me, I don't think I could get them done.

Also, good read on the recommendations. I was thinking about spending $20 to get III on the vita, but I guess I should pick a different one?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:08:27 PM PST
I am Error says:
At least play the original if you are going to skip some early ones, c'mon!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 2:08:39 PM PST
B. Rogers says:
I've played many of them, but I have never completed many of them except for 4,6,7,10,and 13. So I want to play them just to finish them even if the gameplay or story isn't the greatest. I just hope they release 10 for the vita!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:11:01 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
III is extremely grindy. But the Vita/PSP version is very nicely done. It's just that the story is so blah compared to the rest. The job system it employs is really its only strong point.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 2:14:51 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Honestly I suggest playing FF IV, FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, FFX and FFT. I wouldn't worry about the others. Just my 2 cents. :)

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 2:15:01 PM PST
Gameresq says:
Be sure to note that some versions of FF 2 and FF 3 are actually FF 4 and FF 6, respectively. I have played all of 1 - 7 as well as FF 4: The After Years, Crisis Core, Mystic Quest, 4 Heroes of Light (skip it, it is terrible) and a few others. 7, 6, and then 4 are the best in the series, in my opinion and in that order

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:30:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 2:33:06 PM PST
Anthony says:
i know there is a remake of ff5 on the GBA. beyond that, not really sure. good luck.

though save yourself some pain and just skip 10-2, 13, and 13-2.

Edit: also, add FFT to that list or i'll be forced to hurt you.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 2:40:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 2:57:20 PM PST
Chocolette says:
I'm kind of doing this myself, but I have no time frame or limit. I've never completed any FF before so I thought it was high time.

In the past year I've gone through 1, 3, 5, 2 in that order and am right now on 4. Then to 6, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 12, 13 & 13-2. And Tactics. ...it's going to take a while. Skipping 7 because it's the only one I've gotten to the very end and I don't really have time to spare. Maybe one day.

2 was hard to get through, but not as bad as I was led to believe, as with the first half of 5, but the others werent so bad. And now that I've gotten the dreariest out of the way, only brighter waters exist!

Oh, and I do also have Crisis Core, Four Heroes of Light and Dissidia 012 on my list as well. And maybe Dirge of Cerberus. ...that's a big maybe.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 2:57:30 PM PST
B. Rogers says:
Awesome. I want to play them just so I have them out of my backlog and so that I can say I finished them. I did finish 13 and 13-2 within the last year but my challenge to myself is to do all of them except the two online ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 3:13:02 PM PST
Benpachi says:
Sounds good to me! Whatever you do, make sure to play IV, VI, VII, IX and X. I agree that some others can be skipped, but in my opinion those 5 are a must.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 3:18:43 PM PST
If you played quite a bit you could beat each main title within 2-3 weeks each...which would give you enough time to accomplish your goal within a years time. But be warned you will witness the Final Fantasy series become the best and then the worst at times.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 3:21:29 PM PST
If you play VII, maybe you can find an answer for something that's been bothering me. Why don't they use a phoenix down on Aeris? I just figured that it was because Cloud would rather salmon Tifa since she's obviously more desperate.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 3:22:23 PM PST
El Tron says:
Garion is right...the first three games can be skipped.

In my opinion, there are others that can be skipped too, but that is just due to my personal preference, and definitely encourage you to play IV and everything that came afterwards.

Sounds like a fun quest though....good luck!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 3:38:33 PM PST
B. Rogers says:
That's what I think of it as. A quest. And some quests are hard and some may not seem to be worth it but it is a quest all the same. Tonight I start on my fighter,thief,white and black mage party. Although I did just pick up persona 4 golden and it still needs to be finished.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 3:42:13 PM PST
Athas says:
As mentioned by couple of posters here, I've done this too and I've gone through FF1-6 & 12 within 2012. Currently on 13-1. Earlier games weren't nearly as bad as ppl made out to be, but that's personal preference.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 3:42:29 PM PST
Technosapien says:
Skipping Tactics?

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 3:51:53 PM PST
B. Rogers says:
I forgot about final fantasy tactics. So I have fifteen games in one year. I think thats doable!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 3:52:10 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
I wish you the best of luck.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 3:52:30 PM PST
aidenraine says:
sadly, the way 11 is now, it'd probably be the quickest one to finish, if you get in with some people who know what they're doing and will help you gear quickly. you could get 1-99 within a week of casual play, and the (good) story missions are all uncapped now, and were put in there when the level cap was only 75. some of them were originally capped at much lower levels. you could solo most of them without much trouble.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:39:06 AM PST
B. Rogers says:
So my journey began in a brave 16-bit era world. I don't have the original so the playstation origins download is where I began. I forgot how difficult it is not to just save when you want to. My warriors of light were ill equipped for the coming battles. I entered the town to seek out to equip my warriors when a soldier stopped me and took me to the king. The warriors were informed the king's daughter Sarah had been kidnapped by Garland, once a mighty hero in the land. The brave warriors showed the crystal they bore and swore to the king they would bring back his daughter. So began the noble quest to save Sarah. The warriors left the castle and entered the wilderness when they were attacked by five mighty goblins. Oh crap, I forgot to buy armor, or weapons, or even spells. The goblins attacked the warriors fearlessly and my warriors defended . . . no the warriors were almost defeated and I had no choice but to flee. After the battle I ran into the town and purchased weapons and armor, two spells and rested at the inn were I was finally able to save. The journey is far from over. Fully equipped my warriors demanded the goblins pay . . . in blood. My warriors became blood thirsty fiends and the left the towns and began the genocide of the goblins! The first fight was against three weak goblins. The warrior cut one goblin in half while the thief stabbed another. The white mage finished the goblin off with a mighty hammer crush and the black mage threw fire at the last goblin, cooking him in one shot! The warriors were victorious and celebrated by throwing their hands in the air! The journey to saving Sarah must wait, there are goblins to be killed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:11:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 9:13:29 AM PST
Hmmm...interesting. Is the story in FFXI good? Would it be easy for me to log in and knock out just the story if I don't care about getting good gear or rare pets or whatever and just finishing content? I've always been curious about FFXI, but I don't want to start a straight up MMO.

"The journey to saving Sarah must wait, there are goblins to be killed."

Rofl. Variations of that line are going to quickly become your refrain in the first three games. They demand quite a bit of grinding :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
50% Trade in Bonus Starting Sunday at BB 9 3 minutes ago
OT: A great man, Antonin Scalia, has passed away 75 4 minutes ago
Which color of the funtastic N64 is your favorite? 0 10 minutes ago
Senran Kagura Estival Versus North American LE Now Available for Pre-Order 7 11 minutes ago
New Nintendo Selects titles 8 16 minutes ago
OT: Who's watching/has watched Deadpool this weekend? 25 17 minutes ago
So, if I were to buy the Halo Master Chief Collection today for Xbox One, what would I get? 13 18 minutes ago
Why are we losing Yahtzee For Buddies on all Amazon devices on March 9th. This is one of my favorite apps. 1 26 minutes ago
OT: Best external CD burner? 2 26 minutes ago
OT: looks like whoever closed out the main OT got banned spamming it to death so I guess this is the new main OT 2332 27 minutes ago
The Master Chief Collection is garbage 0 30 minutes ago
Destiny PS4 VGF Clan v4.0 9149 32 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions