Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Microsoft's Phil Harrison: "We're no longer just competing with console companies"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 75 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 8:30:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 8:31:25 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
eh....remember THIS guy?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-21-microsoft-were-no-longer-just-competing-with-traditional-console-companies

Microsoft Game Studios now "multiformat" according to new VP Phil Harrison

Microsoft's VP of the Interactive Entertainment Business, Phil Harrison, has acknowledged that the company's internal development studios are no longer competing with just traditional console manufacturers, but web and tech companies including Google and Apple.

Speaking at the London Games Conference this evening, Harrison said that his game development teams are now multiformat studios, working not only across Xbox but Windows 8, Surface and mobile devices.

"Our competitive landscape includes the likes of Google, the likes of Amazon, it includes obviously the likes of Apple"

"We are now really a multiplatform studio," he told the audience. "We are not just building games for Xbox 360, we're building experiences for smart glass, we're building dedicated games for Windows Phone 8 and for Windows 8."

Around 30 titles released for the Windows 8 launch period were developed in-house at Microsoft Studios, according to Harrison. Thinking multiformat at Microsoft is part of a wider remit at the corporation, he said, pulling other developments such as cloud computing into the entertainment business.

"We think this expands our competitive map," he said. "We're no longer just competing with the traditional console companies, but our competitive landscape includes the likes of Google, the likes of Amazon, it includes obviously the likes of Apple."

"We think that's great. We think it's good for us, we think it's good for the industry and we think it also moves us into this network generation more aggressively and with more determination. And this is in turn powered by the cloud, and this is another corporate investment that Microsoft is making the future of how technology and devices interact. We think of Microsoft as now being a devices and services company.

"There isn't an organisation that embodies that strategy more precisely and concisely as Microsoft Studios inside the interactive entertainment business."

He also went on to shed some light on the recently announced tablet and mobile phone studio in London, headed up by former Rare developer Lee Schuneman.

"We are trying to build a new kind of studio," he said. "We describe it as being a 21st Century studio.

"It will not make retail products. It will be making products largely based on the Windows 8 platform and technologies. And it's more about exploring new business models and pioneering new ways to play on devices that we think are going to be powering the future of our industry over the next five or ten years. We're hiring from the console industry, the web 2.0 industry and from the online gaming industry."

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:33:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 8:36:55 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I suppose he is right, though I must be an odd ball. I have no interest in online and multimedia hub devices. I just want a console that I can pop a game into, sit back and enjoy some "me" time. Thanks for the post, it was an interesting read. I just can't say I have any interest in Windows 8. Though bare in mind as mentioned earlier I don't get into online much. I don't have facebook nor do I game online. I also don't feel the need to carry games on me at all times. :)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:34:22 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
TL;DR Version:

Game consoles are so last decade.

Also, when the stuff hits the fan, retrench to core properties, i.e. Windows.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:36:50 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
The whole "consoles are dying thanks to tablets" is such a self-fulfilling prophecy thing.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:40:18 AM PST
Not a criticism but I'm wondering why you waited nearly a month to post this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:40:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 8:42:17 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Having gamed a bit on a tablet, sure it is fun for Indie type simple games (Plants vs Zombies, Angry Birds). But it will never work with full retail type games. The control system via touch pad just isn't there and IMHO will never be there. Good controls require some kind of resistance/weight, which is why I think for the most part the Kinect suffers. In the other thread I made, an author made a comment about how Nintendo should release iOS games.... I just disagree, from a control perspective I just don't see stuff like NSBM-U working, not unless they downgrade the difficulty significantly and make the game boring. Maybe I just suck at iOS touch controls? Anybody else find controls on a touch pad to be sluggish and inaccurate? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:43:18 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
No waiting, i just saw it and instantly had a little PS Home in my mind :P

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:46:14 AM PST
This guy touches himself at night

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:50:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 8:50:37 AM PST
Ice King says:
Although I don't think a full Super Mario game would work on an iPad, I wouldn't mind seeing a Nintendo themed running or tower defense game with a Nintendo theme.

I know those games are a dime a dozen on ios but I think Nintendo could make some pretty good ones that would stand out from the rest.

Maybe even a time management game that doesn't have a ridiculous amount of in app purchases.
I'd play a Mushroom Kingdomville or Zelda Diner Dash if they charged a one time fee for them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:52:33 AM PST
JWK says:
"We are trying to build a new kind of studio," he said. "We describe it as being a 21st Century studio."

Buh bye gamez.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:26:59 AM PST
M. says:
I wouldn't mind if the next xbox replaced my cable box as my one stop for all my entertainment media. It would also give me a reason to get rid of overpriced Comcast.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:30:15 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 18, 2012 9:31:57 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:31:13 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
"But it will never work with full retail type games"

Wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:31:53 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Comcrap.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:35:46 AM PST
Touchscreen works really well for card games and Plants vs. Zombies, just about everything else is 100x better with real controls.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:36:54 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I'm having a hard time picturing playing Mass Effect, Halo or Skyrim with touch controls only...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:37:15 AM PST
I'd take that on a case by case basis. When I first played Shadow Guardian HD (Kindle Tablet Edition) I had come off from playing a LOT of Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The platforming in SG felt remarkably close to U:GA. It really felt like playing the same game. Unfortunately, the combat wasn't as good but that has more to do with the poor enemy AI than the controls.

I'd also point to Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation (Kindle Tablet Edition) Seriously, try the multiplayer matches in that game and you'll see other players owning the maps like the console pros do and these guys are playing on phones and tablets. Modern Combat 4 even works with the MOGA controller which offers dual analogs, shoulder buttons, face buttons, etc. Hell, my brother-in-law has a bluetooth controller for his Android phone and he plays SNES, NES and TG-16 emulators. When he has both his phone and the controller in his suit pocket you wouldn't even notice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:38:03 AM PST
Dead Space actually worked well with touch controls but now we are seeing actual controllers for phones and tablets.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:39:35 AM PST
Man Gameloft knows how to rip off IPs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:40:39 AM PST
Yeah, they also have rip-offs of Grand Theft Auto and Assasin's Creed. The AC ripoff is called Backstab which I find amusing for some reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:41:05 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Dead Space was a nice attempt, but until we find a way for people to have transparent fingers, that control scheme is seriously lacking.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:44:33 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Maybe if the core crowd would try these games instead of writing them off they would be pleasantly surprised by just how well the touch screen controls can work. Like anything else, it's a developer by developer issue, some are good at it and some are not good at it, but that doesn't mean that the whole lot of mobile games are horrid simply because they don't use physical buttons.

And if that's not good enough, here is half a solution:

http://tenonedesign.com/fling.php

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:45:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 9:45:59 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, they're really good at it, unlike Zynga who just got their balls sued off by EA.

The games are high quality though, and they do have some licensed IP's like Rainbow Six, Spider Man (better than the 3DS version of the new SP game) and Batman, and some original IP's like Wild Blood.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:46:28 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I play mobile games every now and then, and I've yet to find even ONE game that makes me want to keep on playing. And the meatier ones like Dead Space or Modern Combat still feel like watered down cash-grabs (well, we KNOW Modern Combat is exactly that).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:48:00 AM PST
I would argue that Modern Combat 4 is a far superior FPS than Black Ops: Declassified.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  75
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions