Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Remember that Muslim Low Budget Film that sparked all those Riots, Film Makers were Sentenced to Death today!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 12:58:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 12:58:32 PM PST
WeScYdE says:
SORRY FORGOT THE OT

CAIRO -- An Egyptian court convicted in absentia Wednesday seven Egyptian Coptic Christians and a Florida-based American pastor, sentencing them to death on charges linked to an anti-Islam film that had sparked riots in parts of the Muslim world.

The case was seen as largely symbolic because the defendants, most of whom live in the United States, are all outside Egypt and are thus unlikely to ever face the sentence. The charges were brought in September during a wave of public outrage in Egypt over the amateur film, which was produced by an Egyptian-American Copt.

The low-budget "Innocence of Muslims," parts of which were made available online, portrays the Prophet Muhammad as a fraud, womanizer and buffoon.

Egypt's official news agency said the court found the defendants guilty of harming national unity, insulting and publicly attacking Islam and spreading false information -- charges that carry the death sentence.

Maximum sentences are common in cases tried in absentia in Egypt. Capital punishment decisions are reviewed by the country's chief religious authority, who must approve or reject the sentence. A final verdict is scheduled on Jan. 29.

The man behind the film, Mark Basseley Youssef, was among those convicted. He was sentenced in a California court earlier this month to one year in federal prison for probation violations in an unrelated matter. Youssef, 55, admitted that he had used several false names in violation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
of his probation order and obtained a driver's license under a false name. He was on probation for a bank fraud case.

Multiple calls to Youssef's attorney in Southern California, Steve Seiden, were not returned Wednesday.

Florida-based Terry Jones, another of those sentenced, is the pastor of Dove World Outreach, a church of less than 50 members in Gainesville, Fla., not far from the University of Florida. He has said he was contacted by the filmmaker to promote the film, as well as Morris Sadek, a conservative Coptic Christian in the U.S. who posted the video clips on his website.

In a telephone interview Wednesday, Jones said the ruling "shows the true face of Islam" -- one that he views as intolerant of dissent and opposed to basic freedoms of speech and religion.

"We can speak out here in America," Jones said. "That freedom means that we criticize government leadership, religion even at times. Islam is not a religion that tolerates any type of criticism."

An Associated Press reporter knocked on the door of Sadek's home in Chantilly, Virginia. No one answered.

The connection to the film of the other five sentenced by the court was not immediately clear. They include two who work with Sadek at a radical Coptic group in the U.S. that has called for an independent Coptic state, a priest who hosts TV programs from the U.S. and a lawyer living in Canada who has previously sued the Egyptian state over riots in 2000 that left 21 Christians dead.

The other person is a woman who converted to Christianity and is a staunch critic of Islam.

The official news agency report said that during the trial, the court reviewed a video of some defendants calling for an independent Coptic state in Egypt, and another of Jones burning the Quran, Islam's holy book. The prosecutor asked for the maximum sentence, accusing those charged of seeking to divide Egypt and incite sedition. All the defendants, except Jones, hold Egyptian nationality, the agency added.

Some Christians and human rights groups worry that prosecutions for insulting religion, which existed to a degree under the secular-leaning regime of deposed President Hosni Mubarak, will increase with the ascent of Islamists to power in Egypt

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:11:54 PM PST
Blah blah blah fatwahs blah blah blah Salman Rushdie's still alive blah blah blah nothing's going to happen with this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:13:36 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
Salman Rushdie lived most of the 90s in hiding and STILL has a full time bodyguard detail. Yeah, nothing to see here.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:14:53 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I don't know where Steve went, but I bet he finds this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:16:11 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
He posted recently in another thread. He's just lurking now I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:17:30 PM PST
elect Tron says:
He's still around. This thread won't make it to its end without him saying something derogatory about blacks, Muslims, gays, or Mexicans while praising Jesus at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:24:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 1:25:34 PM PST
Anthony says:
don't you just love "democracy" in the middle east? morsi's already working on turning himself into a dictator. so this doesn't really surprise me.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:25:44 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Don't they do anything but kill people in that part of the ****ing world? Seriously, get out of the desert, it's mind-****ed the whole lot of em. Get to a cooler climate and chill the **** out! Stop splashing acid in people's faces and sentencing people to death and shooting rockets.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:27:15 PM PST
DVvM says:
I've always kind of wanted to have a Fatwa issued against me. Do they send you a certificate you can frame? Since that would look awesome on my wall.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:31:14 PM PST
Touche. I didn't consider that.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:34:04 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I can't comment of validity of the Islam religion or any other since who knows if any of them are actually true but what is up with the Middle East? Sure, I might be tempted to blow up everyone that doesn't have the same views as me but if I did there would be a very small populace left.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:34:25 PM PST
FOGE says:
That's nice Egypt but America doesnt acknowledge you're legal system over here. Get over it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:41:08 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, it's actually only the crazy hardline Muslims that issue this sort of thing. It's like the Islamic equivalent of the Westboro baptists. Almost all Muslims in the West ignore this sort of thing just like most Christians in the West ignore those nominally Christian preachers who blame every disaster on God's wrath for our tolerance of homosexuals.

Which is to say that there are crazy people in every religion, it's just that the various crazy brands are most successful in parts of the world with low standards for education and limited opportunities for upward social movement. The whole "I don't have a decent job or any prospects, and I don't really know much of anything and am not accustomed to thinking critically" is basically a recipe for people who listen to religious extremists.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:45:22 PM PST
Ice King says:
So basically a bunch of butthurt thugs made it official that they really REALLY hate people who say things that hurt their feelings?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:49:14 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
True, there are those crazy people in every single religion but it certainly is more rampant over there since their government is so strict on religion. If I lived there I probably would have been dead a long time ago!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:51:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 1:51:49 PM PST
DVvM says:
It's also worth noting that the "Middle East" is not some monolithic gestalt. Educated young people in the middle east may be observant muslims, but still think that these sorts of things are stupid and embarrassing. Like many other social problems, the solution is ultimately education and prosperity and waiting for the old people who are set in their ways to die or fall out of power.

You get the crazier people (and the more successful crazies) in the Middle Eastern countries with the most poverty and the least education.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 1:56:58 PM PST
YIGT says:
Thats true DVvm but the amount of crazy christians is pretty small compared to the amount of crazy muslims. And the crazy christians dont tend to blow people all that often. Like next to never. Those crazy muslims cant go a day or 2 before they blow someone up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:59:49 PM PST
"You get the crazier people (and the more successful crazies) in the Middle Eastern countries with the most poverty and the least education"

Hey! Just like the States in the USA!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:00:34 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
Oh, I'm definitely not saying it's the country as a whole. It would be a mix of the older generation who don't know how to see past the terrible ideals that their elders taught them with a small mix of brainwashing.

You mentioned the WBC and beyond a few members(who were rightly ostracized of course) they are all insane including the young people. That family has done an excellent time of brainwashing their youth.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:01:59 PM PST
Good thing I don't live there. No civil rights whatsoever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:02:33 PM PST
If it makes you feel better, I could print out a fatwa on official certificate paper for you and sign it. Make it look all official. I'll even frame it for you so you can put it above the mantle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:24:45 PM PST
Anthony says:
and then, you can have the FBI put you on their terrorist watch list after they open and read her mail.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:29:31 PM PST
"In recognition for acts against Allah and his people, DVvM is awarded on this the 28th Day of November, a Fatwa designating her death should she ever be witnessed in the territory or nations of Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, or Newark New Jersey."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 2:35:36 PM PST
JWK says:
I think it's been pretty much debunked that a youtube video sparked all those "protests." It was an organized attack. The video was a scapegoat so the White House could save face on their "the world is safer now" narrative.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 3:09:45 PM PST
Lurking...lol

The only reason anyone even knows about this video is because the media made a big deal about it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions