Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Operation: Game Over removes over 2,100 sexual offenders from online games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 7:35:43 AM PST
http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/19/3784630/operation-game-over-removes-over-2100-sexual-offenders-from-online

Operation: Game Over removes over 2,100 sexual offenders from online games

By Alexa Ray Corriea on Dec 19, 2012 at 12:52p @AlexaRayC

Over 2,100 registered sex offenders in New York have had their accounts removed from online gaming platforms as part of Operation: Game Over, a pioneer movement in protecting children from online predators, US Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman announced today.

Gaia Online, NCsoft, FunCon, Sony and THQ are the most recent companies to participate in the initiative. These five companies purged the recent 2,100 accounts belonging to registered sex offenders in the New York state. This is the first time the state's Electronic Securing and Targeting of Online Predators Act (e-STOP), which requires convicted offenders to share e-mail addresses and all other Internet identities with the state, has been used to prevent potential predators from using online gaming platforms.

Earlier this year more than 3,500 offenders' accounts were removed from services run by Apple, Blizzard, Disney Interactive, Electronic Arts, Microsoft, and Warner Bros. Interactive.

"The Internet is the crime scene of the 21st century, and we must ensure that online video game platforms do not become a digital playground for dangerous predators," ," said Attorney General Schneiderman in a press release. "That means doing everything possible to block sex offenders from using gaming systems as a vehicle to prey on underage victims.

"I applaud the online gaming companies that have purged registered sex offenders from their networks in time for the holiday season," he added. "Together, we are making the online community a safer place for the children of New York."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo4kDrWBa6c

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:37:37 AM PST
Beau H. says:
"Operation: Game Over"

Lol. I'm sorry, but that is one of the goofiest names I've ever heard.

Good cause, though.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:38:35 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
OPERATION: GAME OVER.

Sounds like something Duke Nukem would say, and we all know how much of a badass/perve he was.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:43:08 AM PST
Agreed.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:45:38 AM PST
Good.
Now they have no gamez™.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:47:17 AM PST
Reporting in.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:51:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 7:52:54 AM PST
Voice of god says:
I'm all for stopping sexual predators, but I think it's a bit heavy-handed to forbid them from playing Journey or WoW. I only see this as acceptable if the bans specifically target offenders who have used those services for their crimes in the past. Maybe that's what they're doing, but it says nothing about that one way or the other in the article or in the press release it was written from.

Besides, if we're really trying to make the online community a better place, wouldn't it be better if we just banned children? I'd rather play online with a pervert who doesn't want to talk to me because I have pubic hair than with a 10-year-old who desperately wants me to think he's cool.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:53:21 AM PST
Beau H. says:
If they wanted an all-you-can-eat kid buffet all they would need to do is pop in Call of Duty.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:53:51 AM PST
That's a decent point.

This whole thing also sort of works from the misconception that only kids play games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:57:16 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I can never tell from a story if there's any distinction among "sex offenders". Nobody in their right mind can defend actual sex offenders, but some college streakers are on that registry too. They weren't really being all that sex offensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:00:34 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
On the one hand, if we only use the ban on people who have already used games to cause harm we're still screwing the children they've already hurt. On the other hand "Sexual Predator" is a pretty broad brush, and while it's most frequent connotation is obvious you can get on the list for public urination for Christ's sake. I would feel more comfortable if, instead of going after everyone with the label, they only went after the people who were convicted of things that legitimately involved the abuse and harm of children.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:00:54 AM PST
can't rehabilitate/reintegrate into community if you're kept from it. but you can't participate in it if you perve on it.

such a lonely subset.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:02:12 AM PST
Beau H. says:
I'm assuming you would know?? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:04:29 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
If ever there was a group of people for whom I didn't care about their feelings of lonliness...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:12:41 AM PST
as a matter of fact!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:17:02 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Same here. Someone who raped/molested a child can't play WoW? Boo Hoo.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:23:58 AM PST
Voice of god says:
You do know that not all sex offenders raped/molested children, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:27:20 AM PST
agreed.

And yes. BAN children! sheesh. Can't stand their high voices and their talking throughout the entire freakin game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:28:08 AM PST
Haha, there was a kid in a Hawken match I played that had his mic on the whole time.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:37:15 AM PST
Chris... says:
This "operation" didn't ban all sex offenders. It only banned the sex offenders that failed to report their online profiles to the proper authorities as they're required to do by law. I take no issue with the bans under the circumstance.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions