Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Any news of 2013 mlb game for Xbox 360?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 1:27:49 PM PST
I haven't seen anything for a baseball game for 2013.
From what iv seen 2k most likely wont be doing it, and ea sports said they won't be bringing MVP baseball back this year because they are making the ufc game.

Anyone see anything about the next mlb game on 360?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:33:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 1:35:17 PM PST
Eggman, PhD says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:34:38 PM PST
Pick 34 says:
Nope, get a ps3 and the show. Best baseball game ever made.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:35:49 PM PST
Kin-foot says:
The Show is great but yeah...PS3 only.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:36:17 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Sucks to be an Xbot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:41:31 PM PST
"and ea sports said they won't be bringing MVP baseball back this year because they are making the ufc game."

Seriously? How long does it take to model up the outside of a bar at 3pm and put some blurry drunks there punching each other in the face?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:02:29 PM PST
I thought 2k12 was a lot more fun than the show.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:27:43 PM PST
Eggman, PhD says:
+1

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:28:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 2:37:47 PM PST
Eggman, PhD says:
PS3 owners like to sing the praises of The Show because it's a PS3 exclusive. In all honesty, it's not that great. It has its good moments, but it's not the be-all-and-end-all of baseball games. I think the 2K series, while flawed, is much better.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:09:28 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Here is a good breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages of both last year.

MLB 12: The Show

When I picked up The Show I knew I was going to get an incredibly realistic baseball sim. I have played baseball games that strive for realism since the days of Front Page Sports Baseball Pro for the PC. Just like last year and the year before that, I was extremely satisfied with the product I unwrapped on day one. That said, the changes were somewhat subtle between 11 and 12. The ball physics are quite impressive but for those who demand major overhauls you may be slightly disappointed. I am not one of those people, and fall into the "If it's not broke, don't fix it" mindset.

MLB 2K12

Unlike The Show, I had absolutely no clue what to expect when I fired up my copy of MLB 2K12. I had played the demo which was modified significantly due to size constraints, and determined I would not judge the finished product based on it. The one glaring improvement from previous MLB 2K games is that now you will find yourself having a much more realistic experience. I have found the past efforts from 2k to be very arcade(ish) in which you have many home runs and could see several wall climbing catches in one game. This has been fixed and my first game was won by a final score of 3-2 in the 10th inning. In fact, there were no home runs in the game and only one diving catch made by Tribe outfielder Michael Brantley.

Pros/Cons of MLB 12: The Show

Pro: The addition of realistic ball physics, collision awareness, adding more umpires/swings/deliveries, and making minor improvements to an already solid presentation.

Pro: Bringing back the features that make Franchise mode even more enjoyable like control of vendors, advertising, billboards, scheduling promotions on home games, and the scouting based on regions.

Pro: Diamond Dynasty is a new mode that allows you to fully customize your own team, recruit MLB-stars, and play other individuals teams online for development points. Overall, this may not be a game mode that is a deal breaker but it is something to try out on a rainy day.

Pro: Bringing back the Weekly Challenge is a little more appealing now that it is free to play. Some of the challenges last year were unique, incorporating something that has occured recently around the MLB. Now that it is free to play, Im expecting much greater challenges/competitions.

Pro: Vita compatibility allows those of us who own the Playstation Vita to upload our franchise season to the Vita where we can continue our games using the impressive new handheld system.

Con: MLB 12: The Show has yet to have a solution for the additional Wild Card change that occured in MLB. There has not been much said about this or whether or not there will be a patch to include this at a later point. Many are saying nothing will be done at all.

Con: Controls have been brought up from time to time in the discussion of negatives surrounding The Show. Hitting certainly seems to have a much greater learning curve than the pitching, however I have discovered in time that practice makes perfect. To me, this is not a con, but rather a slight challenge which pays off in the end.

Pros/Cons of MLB 2K12

Pro: Tremendous audio featuring Gary Thorne, Steven Phillips, & John Kruk. This game is by far the most authentic sounding baseball game you can purchase. Playing as my Cleveland Indians, there is several lengthy conversations regarding up and comers like Carlos Santana and Jason Kipnis. Similar to The Show they will discuss the previous game as well.

Pro: I found that player ratings were extremely accurate, more so than The Show. Two of the more under the radar players on the Cleveland Indians are Lou Marson and Jack Hannahan. They are both known for their defense but you would have to be a Cleveland fan to know that or pay attention to every team/player. I found their ratings extremely accurate which was surprising considering The Show did not accomodate their defensive abilities.

Pro: I like the concept of the mode MLB Today Season Mode, as would most likely any other die hard MLB-fan. In TSM you will follow along with your favorite team playing the games they play on the day they play them. You will not have executive control of decisions like trades or free agency. Consequently, when the staff ace goes down with a devestating injury in real life, you will lose him in TSM. This is certainly a mode catering to the die-hards like myself.

Pro: 2K was able to make the necessary changes to include the new wild card addition.

Pro: When trying to catch an opponent trying to steal a base a bar will pop up in which you have to stop at the right point for a catchers perfect throw to 2nd or 3rd. This is a nice little feature.

Pro/Con: Pitching battles is something that 2K is very high on since it is essentially one of their biggest selling points in this game. If a pitcher starts throwing too many of one pitch, hitters will catch on and punish said pitcher. The reason I have listed this as a con as well as a pro, is because it is oversold throughout the game. Every game the annoucning crew will discuss the pitching selections and criticize a power pitcher who has a 1-hitter in the 7th inning for using too many fastballs.

Con: Visual presentation continues to be a significant problem for 2k. The stadiums look terrific but when the ball leaves the pitchers hand is where problems begin. Swings are incredibly awkward and will often have the batters head facing in wrong direction. There have been improvements to many of the bugs in previous years installments. Infielding does seem smoother, but there are still awkward throwing mechanics. When you have a pop up in foul ground you will occasionally encounter the infamous "under the bleacher" bug where you see fans feet.

Con: There is a great need for more control in Franchise mode with promotions or pricing. Also missing is scouting prospects and the drafts, rule 5, etc. There didn't seem to be any options as it pertains to sending players up or down regularly from MLB-AAA-AA-A. The only feature that is nice in 2k's Franchise Mode is the ability to fire managers anytime.

Con: Player faces are horrible once again in 2k. Aside from a few players who get extra attention like a Justin Verlander, many of the players are unrecognizable. Some of them are plain pathetic like a less known utility guy Shelley Duncan who was made to look like Jim Thome. It seems odd to me that so much time was put into the player ratings and stadium detail and they wouldn't work their absolute hardest on the player models.

The Conclusion

Another season is about to begin, and one of my favorite parts of this time of year is the release of all the baseball game titles. Every year I am hopeful that I can come out of March with 2 excellent baseball games to compliment my favorite sport. Unfortunately, for another season it will just be The Show that makes the final cut. For every improvement that 2k has made it seems overshadowed by the same glaring issues which have held this franchise back. Aside from top notch broadcasting and detail applied to stadiums it doesn't take too long for you to realize "its just a video game". MLB 12: The
Show does an amazing job putting you into the game; Rather than focusing on making major changes they polished an already near flawless product. Its details
like a ball that kicks off the second base bag taking an unexpected bounce into left field that makes The Show that much better than 2k which still struggles to
provide a bug-free experience. In closing, if you only have an Xbox 360 and do not have the resources to purchase a Ps3, than MLB 2K12 will provide you with a
servicable experience. However, if you take baseball as seriously as I do and have or can obtain a Playstation 3, MLB 12: The Show is your best choice. I've said this before, and will say again now: There are certain titles that are exclusive to one system that warrant going out to buy that console just to play. The Show has always been one of those franchises.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:21:14 PM PST
Nicos says:
No... but you can get that crazy Suda 51 Kinect baseball game: Diabolical Pitch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:27:43 PM PST
Pick 34 says:
It has nothing to do with it being an exclusive. The game is amazing, the only thing not very good is the commentary.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:08:07 PM PST
People really play baseball games?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:00:44 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Baseball games have not been the same for me since Sega Classic Tommy Lasorda Baseball

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 6:37:41 AM PST
OCBrooks says:
I understand that's your opinion but in my opinion that's just simply not true. I had an XBox and MLB 2K and it was terrible and full of bugs (for instance, I was up 1 run in the 9th in a game with my opponent having a guy on 3rd and 1-out. The batter hit a foul ball dribbler down the line. The runner ran home from third on contact and scored before I touched the ball in foul territory. The runner went back to third on the foul ball BUT THE RUN COUNTED to tie the game! Next pitch I gave up a sac fly and the game-winning run, which had already scored once to tie the game on a foul ball). That was the last straw and with baseball being my favorite game, I traded in my XBox and games and I bought a PS3 and MLB The Show with the cash I got back. I've never regretted the decision once since.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions