Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Do you think the PS4 will be backwards compatable?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 12:09:51 PM PST
I hope so.

With technology in a much better place than it was in 2005; hopefully they can find a cheap way to do it.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:13:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 12:26:12 PM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Probably not, the new processor probably won't be able to handle the games that require teh C3LL!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:14:11 PM PST
I think it's important for the next gen to be backwards compatible since there has been a lot of investment from the consumer into digital titles. It is up to the next generation that these digital purchases are good in the long term as technology advances and carry over our digital purchases (and therefor have to be able to play PS3 games) so that we feel secure in purchasing more digital content from them.

If they don't make it backwards compatible I think they are making an unwise financial decision.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:14:20 PM PST
Disc games no
PSN games yes

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:14:49 PM PST
Nope. Not when they know they can re-sell games on PSN, with or without HD conversions.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:15:35 PM PST
Talking about disc games everyone, I am sure PSN purchases will be backwards compatible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:16:17 PM PST
WeScYdE says:
This sounds about right, I am hopeful that the PS4 will let me play skyrim DLC though HAHA!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:16:38 PM PST
Jon says:
If they can run PSN games, why wouldn't they be able to run disk games? Isn't the most expensive part of it emulation? I doubt Sony will be abandoning blu-ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:16:50 PM PST
PacinoBully says:
This.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:17:01 PM PST
Ed Jones says:
Depends on how much it cost to have separate architectures. Anything over 599, no go. The PS3 started low due to the price being that high.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:18:30 PM PST
WeScYdE says:
I think that cell crap is what will screw disk games to the next gen, I will probably not make that jump anyway till at least 3 years in

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:19:02 PM PST
No. I think they will sell 4K HD remakes and they will be amazing deals.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:19:29 PM PST
I think Sony has had a rough time this gen but PS+ is one of the things they managed to get right. It sells well and is loved by the people who buy in. I think it would be a better financial decision to have those accounts carry over between gererations as those people will be constantly feeding Sony money, be buying into a lot of games, and people talking positively about the system and its services is better than any marketing money can buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:21:06 PM PST
You realize that PSN games are built to run on the same architecture as Disk based games?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:22:21 PM PST
WeScYdE says:
yah but i cant imagine PSN games having to use it the same way like memory etc that some games such as skyrim have been plagued with in the DLC issue

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:23:00 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
It will be when the system first releases, then they'll take that function away.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:24:21 PM PST
I doubt it. If they forgo the cell architecture then the new games will probably not be compatible with their next one.

Possibly after some work, similar to PSP games running on the Vita.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:26:17 PM PST
Ed Jones says:
One thing is for sure, when the next gen hits, I'm still keeping my current gen systems. Last gen, I traded them all for discounts toward the new stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:27:59 PM PST
It all depends on the game. There are simple games that are deceptively resource intensive like Journey. While one might think that smaller budget games are all using a lot fewer resources as big budget release games that isn't always true.

If the PS4 is able to run all PSN games it has everything in place (minus the optical drive) to run any disk based game for the same architecture.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:29:25 PM PST
RUMOR: PSM3 magazine has posted a list of information for Sony's next console system, after speaking with various developers and sources.

First the console will not be called PlayStation 4, due to number 4 in Japan is pronounced "Shi", which means death....

The next console will not be called PlayStation 4, the number 4 in Japan is pronounced "shi", meaning death. Many buildings in Japan have no 4th floor and room number 4 due to the same reason.

The codename for the console is Orbis, which could perhaps be part of the final name
PS4 titles will look like high-end PC demos you found in Watchdogs, Star Wars 1313 or Square Enix's Luminous tech demo.

PS4 demos will be shown by Sony at E3 2013.

PS4 games will not run in 4K or Ultra HD resolution, it will probably be used only for videos.

The default resolution will be 1080p at 60fps.

PS4 will not support used games, games need to be registered to PSN account.

There will be a protection scheme in the system, in the form of online pass or something similar.

PS4 will have around 4GB to 8GB memory - if the next Xbox system has 8GB memory, Sony would be put under pressure to have 8GB
PS4 will have 16GB flash memory.

PS4 will not be backward compatible with PS3 games
PlayStation Plus will be an important pillar of the PS4.

PS4 will be shipped with PS Move controller and camera.

Classic games will be available via Cloud gaming, powered by Gaikai.

PS4 will run on quad-core AMD processor code name Liverpool, produced in a 28nm process.

The price will be around €400 - 500.

www.the-magicbox.com/

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:35:18 PM PST
Ed Jones says:
That's good. All I really want from next gen is consistent 60 FPS and support higher physics engines.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:36:44 PM PST
Didn't they already come out and denounce the "no used game" policy?

This would already be old news if they did. I don't think a lot of this is accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:39:00 PM PST
I believe so but I'm not 100% sure. However that list looks like an amalgamation of all the rumors we've heard regardless of how accurate they turned out to be. I'm guessing it really isn't a reliable prediction as a lot of the predictions for what would be with the current gen was way off.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:56:52 PM PST
It better be...

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 1:03:29 PM PST
Fidel Amaya says:
16GB Flash Memory?

Backwards Compatability is no issue for me since my Slim PS3 is fine.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions