Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Fallout 3 Help/Suggestions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2012 12:40:58 PM PST
I've had Fallout 3 sitting on my shelf since the summer. I'm a few hours into it and at this point I could go either way. I'm intrigued by the world and the story, but I'm having trouble with meds and weapons. What is the best way to get meds or use them? Its it better to stick with guns or bats as weapons? Any suggestions for leveling up? I'm at level 4, I've done about 2/3 of the research missions and I just beat the Main mission quest where u meet the Three Dog for the first time. Any other thoughts are welcome, thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:44:58 PM PST
new Tron says:
Do sidequests and explore everywhere. By doing sidequests, you'll not only gain XP, but you can loot lots of enemies that you kill and use their weapons, or sell them. By exploring as much as you can, you'll find lots of useful items, including meds.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:49:38 PM PST
One thing to keep in mind is that your effectiveness with any particular weapon type is very much contingent on your rank in the appropriate skill (small guns, large guns, energy weapons, melee, unarmed). So it's best to specialize, at least at first, in one (or at most two) different skills. Generally speaking "small guns" is considered to be the strongest combat skill, and definitely the best early game (where energy weapons and big guns are very rare.) One of the very best "small guns " in the game (Lincoln's Repeater) can be found as soon as you get to the Mall.

If you do want to go with melee (and honestly even if you don't) you'll find that stealth is an important part of surviving conflicts with relatively little damage. It's basically the same stealth system as Oblivion or Skyrim and can be similarly abused (the Chinese Stealth Suit from completing the Operation Anchorage DLC is basically easymode.)

As for meds, just make a point of scavenging from every container you see. You'll find that they're reasonably well distributed. The only really important ones are stimpacks, but Rad-X, Radaway, and Pyscho come in handy from time to time.

Since the enemies in the game scale with you, and the level cap is fairly low, I don't think "leveling up" should be a priority. But make sure you have the comprehension perk (double skill points from skill books) and try to find as many skill books as you can. You can basically max out every skill that way (there are a lot of skill books.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:06:34 PM PST
Joel H. says:
When you've accomplished something.. something you didn't regret doing.. or aren't sure if you'll live, save your game. Checkpoint peace of mind.

As others have said.. just explore! I'd make exploring a priority over story missions.

You'll find more stimpacks than you'll know what to do with inside of building bathrooms (the first aid kits are also in abandoned trucks.. all over)

For combat, cover can be your friend. Enemies have good accuracy from long distances and sometimes letting them run to you and VATS! works perfectly. Fun game keep at it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:08:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 1:08:59 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
This is the best advice.

I didn't use a guide and basically did this and I was fine.

Edit: Oh, and save OFTEN.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:12:06 PM PST
Yeah, one thing to keep in mind is that with appropriate perk choices, VATS is hilariously overpowered in FO3 (they fixed this for New Vegas, however.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:24:15 PM PST
Joel H. says:
Ya i needed a change of pants when i first made an all melee NV 10STR VATS guy. I think about repurchasing it for pc. Alot. Because ps3 is where fallout games go to diiiiie.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:32:31 PM PST
Always keep in mind the locations of the various bobbleheads and grab them as soon as you are able to reach them.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:33:17 PM PST
MrnDpty161 says:
By the time you have well explored places, you'll end up having so many stimpacks you won't know what to do with --- and really a next tip is to focus getting your science and lock picking skills very high ( I would too these off), small arms, energy weapons, and long rifles. Careful with your choice of perks. Get the perk that allows you to double your xp early on, that helps a lot. Also to XP up, a useful thing to do is fight a bunch of Rad Scorpians, animals, ants, and lower teir raiders. After awhile you'll have tons of ammo and such like just from playing.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:36:36 PM PST
MrnDpty161 says:
Also, make use of the steal exploit, if you happen to find useful items but their in the view of a shop keeper or owner, you can use the grab option, walk yourself away from the view of the said owner, drop it then pick it up in your inventory.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:41:38 PM PST
Kendahl says:
Don't give up on it. I hated it my first try and quit after a few hours. Went back to it a few years later and it's one of my favorite games...

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:21:21 PM PST
thanks guys, I'll keep at it

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:19:32 PM PST
Nicos says:
Get repair up a decent amount too. This allows you to fix your own guns out in the field.

Personally I love making junkie characters. I love having a tweaked out Vault Dweller huffing a bunch of Jet and Psycho and wasting super mutants. However, then you have to deal with addictions and that can be extremely rough in the DLC where drugs are hard to come by and there are no doctors to cure your addictions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:23:13 AM PST
waxc3 says:
my advice in these games is always turn down the difficulty a notch or two. play and explore explore explore and enjoy!
if you feel overpowered, turn the difficulty back up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:43:23 AM PST
FOGE says:
I dont know why, but every Fallout/Elder Scrolls game I struggle for the first few hours. Once you get more experience and build your character up it gets easier. Im just now getting to the point in Skyrim where I can beat the average enemy. Stick with it. Itll be worth it. Fallout 3 is one of my fave games of all time.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:44:05 AM PST
I loved Fallout 3. Give it more time, take it slow and level up, it makes things easier and more fun.

I'm in the same boat with New Vegas. Started it in Feb. and couldn't get into it like I did FO3. I started again this week and have been taking my time with it. I'm having a much better experience now than I did in Feb.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:53:11 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
Explore, explore, explore. That is the key to leveling, just don't head too far into the northeast corners of the map! Beware the deathclaws until your level is higher. My favorite weapons in the game were Energy weapons. Pew, pew, pew.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:56:23 AM PST
Energy weapons are OP but they take a while to get any good ones. If you're just trying to get into the game, I wouldn't focus on those so much. On PC, is there a mod to respec your points(maybe a trainer)?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:00:28 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
If you have Operation Anchorage, you can get a lot of good weapons early on. Or if you have Mothership Zeta (my favorite DLC).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:08:10 AM PST
FOGE says:
Zeta is good to start with? I may do that next. I have only played Anchorage and Point Lookout of the DLC packs. PL was wildly entertaining.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:09:33 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
Zeta was fantastic. A lot of people seem to not like it, but it was hands down my favorite. Funniest DLC definitely.

SPOILER
The way the aliens talked had me rolling everytime I heard them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:14:30 AM PST
I agree, Zeta was awesome!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:14:38 AM PST
FOGE says:
Awesome. Ill do that next. Whenever I find time to play Fallout. I have way too much to play right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:19:40 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
yeah, I'm in Skyrim currently, but just got AC3 in the mail, so I may start that tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:22:43 AM PST
FOGE says:
Ive been playing ACIII a lot. Got distracted with the holidays but Im focusing mostly on that and Halo 4 right now. Man Halo 4 had an awesome intro. Also got my Vita last night. Was going to try that out last night but couldnt get my WiFI to connect and kept trying to figure that out to no avail.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions