Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

VGF Tabletop RPG thread; looking for guinea pigs, I have cookies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 476-500 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:48:29 PM PST
Do you have a plan for your Zen Archer? We can try to complement each other and the party with different abilities since we'll both be using longbows.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:56:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 1:01:40 PM PST
DVvM says:
I was working on it. I think my bonus feats are going to be: precise shot (level 1), Point Blank Shot (level 2), Manyshot (level 6), Shot on the Run (level 10), Pinpoint Targeting (level 14), Parting Shot (level 18).

I have dodge as my level 1 feat, I know I'm taking Deadly Aim at level 3, and I could just take Mobility early on so I could take Shot on the Run as a normal feat, letting me take Pinpoint Targeting at level 10. I could also take Parting Shot at level 6, since I'm not really sure which level 6 bonus feat I want: (chosen from Focused Shot*, Improved Precise Shot, Manyshot, Mobility, and Parting Shot*.)

I would probably take Improved Snap Shot at level 13, after what Daft told me. Combining "can shoot during a move action" (shot on the run) and "provoke an AOO any time anybody gets within your 15 foot threat range" is kinda neat.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:58:30 PM PST
I'm still working on it, but I generally take Dodge as a first-level feat as well.

At level 2, I select Archery as my combat style. In terms of bonus feats, I'll be getting Precise Shot (level 2), Many Shot (level 6, which is when it first becomes available to me), Pinpoint Targeting (level 10, when it first becomes available to me), Shot on the Run (level 14), and Improved Precise Shot (level 18).

At 4th level I get to take a Hunter's Bond, and I'm going with the one that bonds me with the party rather than animal companion, as that would feel strange. And this can be really useful. "The first is a bond to his companions. This bond allows him to spend a move action to grant half his favored enemy bonus against a single target of the appropriate type to all allies within 30 feet who can see or hear him. This bonus lasts for a number of rounds equal to the ranger's Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). This bonus does not stack with any favored enemy bonuses possessed by his allies; they use whichever bonus is higher."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:58:44 PM PST
Having a 15-foot threat range is awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:10:07 PM PST
DVvM says:
What books are the feats in? Core, Ultimate Combat, anything else? I plan on filtering out all the archery-related feats at some point maybe this weekend, so I can make a more sensible level plan.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:41:57 PM PST
Core, UltCom, APG, and some in UltMag. UltMag has some neat (in theory) teamwork feats, but I'm not sure how often they would get to be used.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 5:14:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 5:29:20 PM PST
DVvM says:
Okay, the tentative plan for now is:
Lvl 1: Dodge, (bonus) Precise Shot, lvl 2: (Bonus)Point-Blank Shot/Far-Shot (not sure), Level 3: Deadly Aim lvl 5: Mobility, Lvl 6 (bonus) Manyshot, lvl 7: Shot on the Run, lvl 9: Wind Stance, lvl 10 (Bonus) Pinpoint targeting, lvl 11: open lvl 13: Improved Snap Shot, lvl 14: (Bonus) Parting Shot, and the rest I'm not sure on.

I'm taking Wind Stance largely because I get a racial bonus of 5% concealment whenever I have any concealment, so I'm at 25% concealment whenever I move (which will be often). I might want to work Combat Reflexes in there somewhere so I can make multiple AOOs per turn with my 15 foot threat range. I also kind of want to take "Run" so I can move at 5xbase (so 450ft/round at level 16, which is just over 51 mph, since a round is 6 seconds) without losing my Dex/Wis/Dodge AC (which is all of my AC).

This is all pretty provisional though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:48:36 PM PST
That 25% concealment is pretty awesome.

I'll be taking Point-Blank Shot as my level 3 feat.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 9:44:03 AM PST
Don't you die on me!

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:11:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 7:59:17 PM PST
DVvM says:
Nate-

My current feat plan is on my character sheet, under "level plan" [EDIT: no need to leave this up]

Advice from pathfinder vets is welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 12:20:09 PM PST
I think I'm the only PF player here, and I've only had two characters. One is a level 7 (we started at that) dwarf Sorcerer and one is a dual wielding Dex-based Fighter.

The Sorc uses a crossbow, though. So he has the feats for point blank shot, precise shot, and quick reload. The first two are absolutely necessary for a bow user IMO.

I'll check this when I get home though.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:44:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 12:47:49 PM PST
"We got our boss a giant case of Fat Tire."

We love Fat Tire around here. The New Belgium brewery is north of Denver in a city called Ft. Collins. I've been there a few times to take visiting relatives.

The feats are kind of messing with my head. I'm trying to plan ahead, but a lot of the feats now have the added requirement of being a Fighter, which is definitely a change from 3.5. I may take extra uses of Lay on Hands to give us some heals/status effect curing action just in case Cap is down or separated from the team.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:45:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 8:00:34 PM PST
DVvM says:
Oh, if you can't look at it right now, I'll just transcribe it:
Level 1: (Class) Flurry of Bows, Perfect Strike, Improved Unarmed Strike (Feat) Dodge (Bonus) Precise Shot
Level 2: (Class) Weapon Focus(longbow) (Bonus) Point Blank Shot
Level 3: (Class) Fast Movement, Zen Archery, Point Blank Master (Feat) Deadly Aim
Level 4: (Class) Ki Pool, Slow Fall
Level 5: (Class) High Jump, Ki Arrows (Feat) Undecided
Level 6: (Class) Weapon Specialization (longbow) (Bonus) Improved Precise Shot
Level 7: (Class) Wholeness of Body (Feat) Combat reflexes
Level 9: (Class) Reflexive Shot (Feat) Vital Strike
Level 10: (Bonus) Shot on the Run
Level 11: (Class) Trick Shot (Feat) Wind Stance
Level 12: (Class) Abundant Step
Level 13: (Class) Diamond Soul (Feat) Improved Snap Shot
Level 14: (Bonus) Improved Critical (longbow)
Level 15: (Class) Quivering Palm (Feat) Improved Vital Strike
Level 17: (Class) Timeless Body, Ki Focus Bow (Feat) Hammer the Gap
Level 18: (Bonus) Pinpoint Targeting
Level 19: (Class) Empty Body (Feat) Clustered Shots

A lot of those later feats can be taken in a bunch of orders (and are probably just wishful thinking.) But at level 14 I can make 4 AOOs with a 15' threat radius!

If I can come up with better level 5 and 7 feats, and a bonus feat past level 10 I don't really need, I could put Shot on the Run as the level 10 (or later) bonus feat, and take those better feats. So low level feats I could use advice on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:18:17 PM PST
Wait, there's a city in CO called Ft. Collins that is north of Denver, and there's the military base of Ft. Collins that is located at Coloroda Springs which is south of Denver? That could get confusing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:20:38 PM PST
Especially for soldiers.

I wonder if that's a legit reason for missing PT formation. "Sorry, First Sergeant. I went to the wrong Fort Collins."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:23:57 PM PST
That is amazing. And if your threat radius is 15', does that mean you get an AOO on anyone closing to melee range?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:25:42 PM PST
DVvM says:
Yup. If someone runs straight at me from >15 feet away and enters into melee, with improved snap shot and combat reflexes I get two attacks of opportunity against them (because they left 2 squares that I threatened.)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 2:31:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 2:33:26 PM PST
DVvM says:
Also, this has nothing to do with the VGF pathfinder campaign, but is related to tabletop gaming in general, so without further ado....

FIFTH EDITION SHADOWRUN ANNOUNCED! OMG SQUEEEEEEE!
http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2012/12/21/the-year-of-shadowrun/

(They couldn't have timed the announcement better either, since in the lore of Shadowrun the end of the Mayan Calendar is what harkened in the "sixth world" what with the return of Dragons, Magic, Elves, etc.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:32:10 PM PST
Snap Shot is pretty sweet. I'll have to consider it.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 2:38:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 2:39:19 PM PST
"FIFTH EDITION SHADOWRUN ANNOUNCED! OMG SQUEEEEEEE!"

If Daft's experiment here goes well, I may end up DM'ing Shadowrun in the future. I have a lot of experience in pre-4th edition (wireless, bah) and have a lot of trouble finding people to play. It's by far my favorite p&p RPG. Do you know how far they're advancing the timeline on the Sixth World? Are we up to 2080 yet?

Edit: Re Ft. Collins, I have a feeling that plenty of soldiers would appreciate "accidently" ending up in the land of beer and co-eds ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:48:13 PM PST
Shadowrun is the cyberpunk with magic right? I'm vaguely familiar with the universe. Something about magic getting re-introduced after 5,000 years, and doesn't part of the lore mention 12/21/12?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 2:56:00 PM PST
I'd be willing to go in on that, though you'll have to put up with a lot of inexperience. My knowledge of Shadowrun is limited primarily to the Genesis incarnation.

I feel like I should also familiarize myself with the system for when the kickstarter game comes out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 3:18:22 PM PST
You would know more than me about Shadowrun than I would, going by your statement.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 3:24:52 PM PST
To be fair, it's been about seven or eight years since I played the Genesis game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 3:28:24 PM PST
DVvM says:
Yeah, Shadowrun is a cyberpunk fantasy setting (perhaps the best genre). The premise is that the end of the Mayan Calendar signals the beginning of the "Sixth World" at the dawn of which magic, dragons, elves, trolls, et al. return to the world.

So you've got black hats, mirrorshades, fast cars, big guns, hacking, vampires, and dwarves!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  2472
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions