Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Leaks suggest PlayStation Nexus phone is coming

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2012 9:54:55 AM PST
http://news.yahoo.com/leaks-suggest-playstation-nexus-phone-way-165700862.html

The Nexus series of Android smartphones and tablets have been Google's flagship devices since the first Nexus One. Showcasing Android's latest and greatest, they receive software updates before other devices (others often don't get updates at all), and are the first to implement new features like NFC chips and Siri alternative Google Now. Each Nexus device is made in partnership with a hardware manufacturer like Asus or Samsung, and multiple different manufacturers have made Nexus gadgets throughout Android's history. This May, a report by Amir Efrati in the Wall Street Journal said that Google would be partnering with multiple different manufacturers at the same time for its next wave of Nexus devices. More recently, a leak reported by the Japanese-language site Android Noodles listed three different Nexus devices that were slated to be released soon, including a Sony Xperia Nexus. And with the recent release of the PlayStation Mobile marketplace on Sony Xperia phones, two of the biggest brands in tech might be about to collide.

If Nexus smartphones are "pure Android,"how could it be a PlayStationphone? A "regular source" to the Android and Me blog says that upcoming Nexus devices will allow manufacturer customizations, so long as they're put in a separate place and made optional. In this case, the PlayStation Mobile store isn't preloaded on anydevicesright now, thewaythat its precursor and other gaming features were baked into the Xperia Play (and the way carriers usually pack bloatware onto non-Nexus phones). Instead, owners of Xperia phones have to visit a Sony website to download the store. So an Xperia Nexus may be able to use PlayStation Mobile without breaking Google's pure out-of-the-box Android experience.

What would make the Xperia Nexus a PlayStation phone? Sony hasn't experimented with handsets that have built-in game controllers, PSP Go style, since 2011's Xperia Play. It's made more "PlayStation Certified"phones since then,though, which have access to select PSOne games and now indie games made for the PlayStation Mobile program. PlayStation Mobile games that you buy on your handset can also be played on Sony's Vita game console, and vice-versa, tieing Sony's Android phones together with its portable PlayStation consoles. And some of them are portable versions of classic Sony games for earlier PlayStations.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:09:38 AM PST
....................................,.- ''...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_.......''-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

My god, Sony. Forget about the dang phones and just start working on making the Vita your on-the-go experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:14:31 AM PST
My thoughts exactly.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:34:03 AM PST
I haven't cracked up at the Picard /facepalm for many a year, but I was thinking the exact same thing when I read this article, Daft, so I laughed when I saw his bald dome emerging from the bottom of my screen :)

Hey Sony. Just release games for the VITA. That's all you have to do. It's blissfully simple.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:20:21 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
I would like more Vita games too! Although I think if Sony used Verizon I'd at least look at their phones at Best Buy. AT&T is horrible service in my parts. I wouldn't even consider a Sony phone because of that.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:21:25 PM PST
AJF says:
Stupid Stupid Stupid. When will sony realize that flooding the market with Sony stuff doesn't mean people will buy them?

They need to focus on their Xperia line.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:22:32 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:49 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:42:00 PM PST
So I take it Sony doesn't want the Vita to be successful.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions