Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Rumor: New PS4 devkits shipping

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 12:50:58 PM PST
http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/01/ps4_details_playstation_4/

Developers are currently taking receipt of a new PlayStation 4 dev kit, VG247 has been told today, with a final version slated to appear in January. Yes, it'll have Blu-ray. No, it isn't being made in Japan.

Multiple sources have confirmed to VG247 today that a new version of the Orbis kit is now shipping to developers, and that it's housed in a normal PC case.

There are to be four versions of the dev kit, we were told. A previous version was essentially just a graphics card. The version shipping now is a "modified PC," and the third version, appearing in January, will be close to final spec. A final version will be delivered to developers "next summer".

Some US developers attended a "disclosure meeting" at Sony's offices this week, with a further meeting to take place in the coming weeks. The purpose of the meeting is for Sony to tell studios what the machine is designed to do, to detail hardware and to show a set of presentations.

Our source told us that Sony is only calling the machine Orbis, and is not using the words "PlayStation 4″ in these meetings at all.

Orbis, we were told today, is based on the AMD's A10 APU series. An APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) is a combined CPU and GPU.

PS4′s APU was described today as a "derivative" of existing A10 hardware. The hardware is "based on A10 system and base platform".

The "ultimate goal" for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with "no problem," to create a machine that's powerful enough for "today and tomorrow's market".

The dev kits have "either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM. Deduce from that what you will."

The hardware is not being made in Japan, it was said.

When asked if PS4 will have an optical drive, specifically Blu-ray, our source responded: "Of course it has." We've been told the hard drive will be 256Gb "as standard," but it's not clear if it'll be a normal HDD or a solid state drive.

We were told that Sony's aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something "very affordable" but that "isn't a slouch".

The machine has WiFi and Ethernet connectivity and HDMI out. Our source said the was "no difference" between PlayStation 3 and Orbis input/output.

The UI, however, has been revamped. It was said today that players will now be able to press the PS button mid-game and travel "anywhere" on the system. An example given was buying DLC from the PS Store mid-game then seamlessly returning to play.

"They're trying to make it as fluid as possible," our source said.

We were also told that the machine will be designed to accept system and product updates in the background, and that it'll "always be standby mode". When you set the console up, we were told, you'll be asked if you want to allow background downloads. You can, of course, disallow them.

No details have been given on the pad as yet. Confirmation is expected this month.

Orbis is expected to be announced at an event "just before E3″ next year. http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/01/ps4_...playstation_4/

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:52:50 PM PST
Lucanus says:
2013 launch date, IMHO. They won't give MS a year head start.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:55:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 12:55:28 PM PST
Chocolette says:
Gah. Does this mean I should not get a ps3 and just wait for PS4?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:55:36 PM PST
Maybe holiday 2013 but I don't know... that won't give devs much time to get the launch games ready.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:56:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 12:57:38 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Maybe. If you want the next best thing and money isn't an issue I would wait. However the ps3 can be had at a great price bundled with a high quality game. The current lineup is stellar. It has a ton to offer. Depends on what you are looking for. You certainly won't get bored with a ps3 anytime soon, especially with Last of Us due out next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:56:24 PM PST
I'd say go ahead and get a Black Friday PS3 deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:56:28 PM PST
Oskar2525 says:
No, there are a ton of great deals coming up next week for the PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:58:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 12:59:09 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Think MS will wait till 2014? I don't. Sony either gives MS another year head start or launches in 2013. Either way it sucks for them. The ps3 is just now finally hitting full cylinders and the generation is on the way out. Though I never regretted getting a ps3, nice little system.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:00:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 1:00:31 PM PST
I don't think so, they are giving developers the final version in Summer 2013. There is no way these developers can do what they can with it in 4-6 months.

MS is releasing there's in 2013, Sony in 2014 early.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:01:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 1:02:43 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Launch outside the holiday window? Interesting theory. I disagree. Sony's launch will be xmas in 2013 or 2014. I can see either of those dates. I think both are risky. 2014 gives MS a lot of room to get a base. 2013 will cut into ps3 sales, which is doing amazingly well this year.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:02:38 PM PST
"We were told that Sony's aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something "very affordable" but that "isn't a slouch"."

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. As for the RAM I'd be surprised to see it packing 4GB of RAM in the final model. My guess is we'll see 2GB of RAM for the final model.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:03:09 PM PST
Na, as long as Sony advertises it, they will come.

There's no way they are going to have it out in 2013 with this news, and there's no way they are going to wait an entire year again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:03:09 PM PST
Chocolette says:
Well, if it's backwards compatible I don't want to buy both. Because I KNOW I'll want a PS4. Especially since I've waited this long already and have so my games in my backlog.

And...I probably won't play Last of Us. Sorry.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:03:50 PM PST
Man, if the PS4 was backwards compatible I will crap my pants.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:04:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 1:05:04 PM PST
Lucanus says:
I'd wait then. I would be shocked if the ps4 isn't backwards compatible. Take your ps3 money and save it for the ps4. It will be out, IMHO, within the next 18 months.

Edit:
Wow JJ, we usually agree, but not in this thread. LOL. I see the ps4 playing ps3 games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:07:33 PM PST
Don t you do that anyways?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:12:30 PM PST
jtshiel says:
I hope they keep the name Orbis and Durango.
Very catchy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:12:46 PM PST
I highly doubt PS4 will be compatible with PS3.

However, I do have a prediction. With Sony's recent purchase of Gaikai, expect huge numbers of PS1, PS2, and PS3 games to be available through their cloud gaming service, provided you have the bandwidth to handle it.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:22:31 PM PST
If the Orbis is out by next holiday season I would be surprised but I can't imagine Sony wanting to even give Microsoft a 6 month advantage this coming generation.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:33:00 PM PST
If the PS4 uses AMD chips then I don't see how BC is possible outside of streaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:37:48 PM PST
Chocolette says:
I'm going to hold all of you to your words that PS4 won't be backwards compatible! Or...you're all going to have to chip in and buy me a PS4!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:39:00 PM PST
Only if you can beat me at arm wrestling.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:40:27 PM PST
Chocolette says:
..that's so stone age.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:41:35 PM PST
I'm in the same boat. I think i am still getting a PS3 this year for Ni No Kuni, though.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 1:42:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 1:43:10 PM PST
Lucanus says:
I am on record as saying the ps4 will be BC. Just remember that.

Edit:
Vacant, yeah I am stoked for Ni No Kuni. It looks amazing.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions