Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Any LBP Karting impressions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 8:57:35 AM PST
S. Brown says:
I ordered LBP Karting from Amazon this week and plan on digging into it this weekend. I didn't see any "impressions" threads, so I thought I'd see if anyone on the VGF who has played it had any thoughts/impressions of the game from playing this week. Who's played it? What do you think? The reviews seem to be mixed.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:41:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 9:31:20 AM PST
saskamazon says:
I picked it up on Tuesday ... we've played through story mode - well, at least the levels that include prizes & such - I'm at 81% I believe, but have only cleared about 40 levels - there are 71 in total ... I probably have as much (if not more) customization stuff on LBP K as I do for LBP 2 .... I have had a great time with it. the AI can be slanted - if you do a battle mode & say player 1 gets 9 hits & the next 4 have 8, you as the human player will be in 5th place -not second. so sometimes it feels they are harder on humans ... you have to focus on defense, as there is no longer the meter that MNR had, so at times, it's best to not use your weapon & keep it to defend ... depends if you're doing the race for the sake of race position, or if you're zipping through to get prize bubbles ...

unlike the IGN review, I did not find the levels empty or confusing ... I think Greg dropped the ball & failed to see the game as a hybrid & not a pure racer or platformer ... it has all the charm of original LBP games, great customization, & I have had fun in battle arena on line matches ... great addition.

both my son & I have very much enjoyed LBP K & I think we will certainly get our moneys worth ... soon the UGC will start pouring out, & there will be boundless new levels ... I tried a space shooter last night - was cool & had a retro feel to it. the kiddo has 2 tracks he's creating & they're coming together nicely - he's 8 - so anyone who has used the level editors in either MNR or LBP will be able to jump in without too much difficulty ....

I'm glad we bought it, & the headstart DL pack was a nice bonus too ... & if you have any other LBP games on your system, when you do the install, you'll receive a thank you kart & costume .... I thought that was a nice touch .

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:48:52 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I was wondering about that. I watched the IGN video review and all I heard was "this isn't MNR", "this isn't MNR", "this isn't MNR", "this isn't MNR". I didn't think it was trying to be MNR and when did MNR became the greatest Kart racer ever?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:59:41 AM PST
saskamazon says:
yeah, it seemed Greg thought he was reviewing MNR 2 & failed to see this as a new hybrid IP ... I think his review did a great disservice to LBP K & really think it is biased & unfair .... truly, I have spent many hours with this game & have been pretty impressed. but then, I didn't need it to be MNR or LBP - but rather a blend of each & IMO - it works .... I mean to have said he found it confusing, really ? good grief - it's the same online as the LBPs - as you play story mode you open the same level for online vs, it's just not terribly mind boggling .... & they've done a lot in terms of prizes & pieces for your karts, costumes, & level creation .... I can hardly drag my son out of create mode & given his age, if he can manage it, very likely any adult can nail it ....

sadly, soo many people do count on IGN reviews & will base purchase decisions on them, & in this case, it should at the very least be a 7.5, & possibly a bit more ... the game offers a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:13:17 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Yeah, Greg is a big MNR fanboy, so all he did with his review was bash LBP Karting for not being the same game. I love kart racers, I have since Super Mario Kart, and I thought MNR was lousy. I'm glad this doesn't have shields, I can't believe being more like Mario Kart makes a kart racer lose points.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 10:17:59 AM PST
S. Brown says:
Good stuff, thanks. Looking forward to playing this now and had been a bit apprehensive, seeing some of the negative reactions to the game. I love the Mario Kart series also but didn't think MNR was anything spectacular, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:42:57 AM PST
I can see Greg's points on the creator though and how they've removed some of the ease of use from Mod Nation Racers like the auto populate as you drive on your created track and such. Seems odd that they took away options like that and made it more tedious to build a really nice track. Also I thought it was weird that they removed kart customization and character customization as well. I really enjoyed getting to build my own guy and kart in Mod Nation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:57:36 AM PST
saskamazon says:
agreed, the loss of auto populate is too bad - makes it quicker to make a polished level, but you can alter your character & karts - you have 6 suspensions which let you choose from a flying kart to a low rider .... tons of wheels & steering ... as to characters, wow - once you start getting the prize packs, especially when placing 1st in story mode, you get all kinds of customization items ... every costume then provides each individual item, so really, only limited by your imagination ... LOVE the Ritz cracker wheels, & a fan of the sardine kart - as well as the egg carton ....

so for folks who didn't want an identical MNR clone, they will be pleasantly surprised. the lack of shield makes the races more challenging .... as you must decide if you're defending or attacking .,. I am in no way disappointed with the purchase .... it has exceeded my expectations & once more folks are online with the game, I'm going to have a blast with battle mode - it's pretty cool, & the egg capture is an interesting concept as well ....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:57:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 10:58:06 AM PST
I. Flores says:
They removed the auto-populate feature because none of the LBP games have it.
Making cookie-cutter levels/tracks goes against LBP's "create" motto.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:12:14 AM PST
Benpachi says:
I can see his points about the creator too, but not about the actual racing. Sounds more like Mario Kart than MNR to me, and I'm all for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:28:47 AM PST
saskamazon says:
this way, you will know that the whole level is hande made & a lot of thought went into the creation ... all you have to do is chose your buildings & such, create a few specific objects & you can have your themed level in no time ...

it's a 4 day weekend here from school & my son is playing some of the community levels - just saw him do a boat race ... he was quite pleased - the shark was electrified ! lol - he just found a Mario Kart level .... too cute. Greg really underestimated this games potential - the more time we play it, the more I think it's fantastic !

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 12:58:06 AM PST
Gamer Dude says:
Don't have much to say except to play it open minded. I was very disappointed when I first got the game and started playing.

I was going in expecting it to be a racer like Modnation Racers, but it isn't really a 'pure kart racer' at all. It's a blend of the genre that's LBP with racing thrown in. That's where Greg Miller was wrong when reviewing this game and giving it 5/10. You can't compare LBPK to MNR just because it's made by the same studio. You should judge the game based on itself, and he failed to do so.

So for the record I love the game now. Once you get used to the gameplay, it's actually very fun playing online with others. When I first got it I'd give it a 6/10. Now that I've had it for a couple days, I'd give it a 8.5/10.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:20:40 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
"unlike the IGN review, I did not find the levels empty or confusing ... I think Greg dropped the ball & failed to see the game as a hybrid & not a pure racer or platformer ... it has all the charm of original LBP games, great customization, & I have had fun in battle arena on line matches ... great addition."

Yeah, don't know where that one came from. The tracks in the beta were great.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 6:25:19 AM PST
Pick 34 says:
I'm pleasantly surprised by this game. The levels are nice and it wasn't as slow as I felt the beta was. I also have trouble finding players online to race at times. The battle arena is loads of fun and some of the weapons are cool as well. I having a lot of fun with this game and though I don't know where Greg's review came from I agree with him on one thing, getting rear ended and popping up and coming to a complete stop is annoying. There are a lot of times you'll go from first to last, but you can catch up. I hope the community starts to show up as well. Can't wait from some awesome UGC. Anyone on the fence snag a copy for $25 @ target on bf.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 6:32:00 AM PST
R. Typo says:
I think the Sonic kart racer looks like more fun on a bun in the sun.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:33:32 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing was awesome, hopefully the new one is as good.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:09:25 AM PST
Mrs. User says:
Bought the game last night and finished the first two worlds. So far the battle arenas are a lot of fun to play with friends, and the races are interesting. It has the best parts of LBP, with the decorations and the costumes, and the best parts of MNR with the power-ups and weapons. I'm having a blast, think it's worth the price. Haven't played online yet, but plan to do that today.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 8:23:03 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
All i know is walmart will have it for $$25 on BF might give it a shot!

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:47:26 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
Agreed on Transformed. It looks like a great kart racer. Loved the last one.

I'll definitely pick LBP Karting up for $25 if someone on the internet matches it on BF.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 9:02:40 AM PST
Christi says:
Yeah Greg seemed like he didn't want to review this and said MNR more times than LBPK. ]Check out Gameinformers review. They offer some fair reviews. They gave it an 8/10 and said it isn't a cash in but really fun game. They actually did a little video review this time like IGN explaining some things. I hope they continue video reviews.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 9:25:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 9:26:57 AM PST
saskamazon says:
wow, $25 on BF would be a steal of a deal for the depth of this game ... absolutely worth it. I paid the full fare & am in no way unhappy ... Greg even was taking pot shots at LBPK on the podcast video chat - he really hates this game & IMO, it is totally unwarranted ... a woman commented on the review page here that she had been in GS to pick it up on release day when she received a text saying IGN gave it a 5, don't buy it ... I think his review should be redone by someone less biased.

yes, the online is a tad slow - in terms of a lack of people, so anyone here who has this game or is getting All Stars, feel free to add me on PSN - just put VGF in the request - would be nice to have some friends who own the game & might be playing online - we've played everyday since purchase .... PSN ID : saskamazon ~ easy breezey .... :-)

loved the UGF costume they threw in ... very cool. & the Unicorn costume & kart freebie was a nice bonus too ....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 3:13:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 3:14:25 PM PST
Pick 34 says:
My friend asked me how it was and cited the ign article as well. I think it should be redone by someone less biased. The game is a blast there is no way it is a 5 out of 10. If it is, I want to see a 10/10 kart racer. I just wish all of my stuff from the first two lbp games carried over. I think I remember something saying that would happen soon. I'll send you a friend request (PICK34) sometime today.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 3:37:14 PM PST
saskamazon says:
sounds good - I will accept asap .... been playing most of the afternoon - going through story mode to place 1st & loot everything - love seeing my star levels .... world 1 & 2 are 100% now .... have you made it to the burning firefly ? yikes, tough to survive the goo & burning lumps he spews out .... still can't find 1 item in the level .... I love the arena battles ....

many of your costumes across LBP universe will transfer - soon I hope. when I was buying stuff for LBP V I made sure they said for karting as well ... really looking fwd. to seeing them in this game ... if they put out kart DLC for this, I will get some - love having the different bodies to fancy up ....

the more I play, the more fun I'm having - guess since Greg hates the game, he'll never have that experience of it ... I really wish someone else from IGN would review it too ....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 4:14:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 4:15:37 PM PST
Pick 34 says:
This guys review is almost as bad as Greg's. His big complaint is that you can't get all the prize bubbles and still win a race. He goes on about bland environments and the accompanying video contradicts everything he says.

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/aj8ymr/littlebigplanet-karting-review

I've only unlocked the second planet. I played some online community games last night and that took most of my time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:03:35 PM PST
saskamazon says:
just watched the review - guess if you are only wanting to race each level once, then yes, 1st place & prize collection are in contradiction ... myself, I was wanting to spend more time with the levels & now that I have completed the main story mode, I'm going back & getting all prize bubbles & 1st place in each ... I am surprised at how poorly it is being reviewed .... I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time, & the music is fantastic ! I'm unclear on the "empty, bland" levels these folks reference ... sure isn't the game I'm playing ... you go from deadly desserts to fire fly centipedes ... I dunno, maybe I just love a bad kart racing game .... *joking* this is a fantastic hybrid, regardless of the poor reviews ... people buying it & reviewing it here have all given 4 / 5 star reviews .... as did I.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions