Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Hitman Absolution First Impressions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 7:23:37 AM PST
smackaflash says:
Only played the intro mission and a bit of Chinatown before work. This new disguise system might take some getting used to.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:25:23 AM PST
prsmooth says:
how is the new disguise system different from previous games ?

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:28:47 AM PST
Marvelous says:
Disguised system looks the same to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:35:28 AM PST
I wondered about this myself, like Marvelous said, from gameplay videos it looks pretty much the same as previous games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:38:38 AM PST
This is delightfully vague.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:41:07 AM PST
FOGE says:
I hear the disguise system was one of the few complaints. I really want this game. I have so much to play right now that I will wait for a good deal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:41:22 AM PST
Vikki P. says:
It's different in that you can't wonder around all willy nilly when disguised as the enemy. Enemies wearing the same outfit won't recognize you as one of their own and become suspicious. You'll have to break line of sight ASAP or spend "instinct" to cover your face as you walk past them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:43:20 AM PST
Marvelous says:
Well that sounds really cool to me, and much more realistic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:46:03 AM PST
Yeah way more realistic, you would think that a few body guards would remember if a bald guy with a bar code on the back of his head was a member of their team or not.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:46:16 AM PST
Kendahl says:
"It's different in that you can't wonder around all willy nilly when disguised as the enemy."
*wander

I have a free Redbox game rental I need to use...think I'll give this one a try this weekend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 7:56:27 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I don't think I'd want to question a bald guy with a bar code on the back of his head though.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:58:44 AM PST
I remember in the older games having to turn or hang my head as I walked past a guard so they wouldn't recognize me. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:04:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:05:04 AM PST
Marvelous says:
I do remember in a walk through video, the commentator mentioned something about NPC's becoming suspicious after X amount of time. Also, agent 47 putting his hand up to this face and slightly turning his head.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:46:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:46:48 AM PST
waxc3 says:
now look, when someone we dont know at all tells the forum something vague we must just accept that theyre right!

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:47:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 9:07:27 AM PST
MoultonHawk says:
"Ahh...remember all the wonderful things in Hitman games..? The Vast, open, multi-faceted, multi-tiered, funhouses of planning, deception and creativity? Well IO Interactive took all of that, threw it into 47's sniper case and set fire to it. From the ashes they cobbled together 'Absolution' . Something which the developers should be praying for. Levels are linear and streamlined, rigidly objective (go to point B, collect 4 fuses, exit door) based affairs. Even the more sandboxy levels are watered down and/or butchered into non-returnable sections. Take the 3rd level set in a hotel. On the ground floor there is only one way up to the target on the eighth (or 2 if you count catching the same lift slightly lower down). Once in the lift the ground floor and everything you did is erased, sucked into a black hole that you may never return to. The cutscene then removes any choice dictating that you shouldn't go directly to the 8th floor but get off at the 7th and find another way up. Once you do that the 7th floor disappears into the same blackhole as the ground floor. The horrible checkpoint system respawns enemies, actively discourages exploration and punishes experimentation. The 'disguise' system is broken to the point where they now serve as nothing more than a 'stealth power-up' allowing you a second or two chance to bail into cover before you're rumbled rendering them all but useless. All of which render the game into a more generic cover-based stealth game, where throwing objects to distract guards is now your greatest asset. You get no loadout choice, and the game seems painfully short on inspirational, memorable ideas. If you enjoy the more by-the-numbers stealth games that have you commando rolling between cover you may find much to satisfy you in HItman Absolution, but let's be clear: . It may look like it, sound like it and offer a few nostalgic nods in it's direction, but this is not a Hitman game. Agent 47 has lost his way. Which may be considered ironic considering how linear his world has become"

5/10 Hitman Lifer, not a "critic"

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:48:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 9:07:44 AM PST
MoultonHawk says:
"It would seem IO Interactive have taken most of what made Hitman great and threw it out the window. Most of the original creators of the Hitman franchise left IO Interactive in 2008, so Absolution was developed by the same people that make the Kane & Lynch series, and it shows.The creators of Kane & Lynch seem adament to create a Hollywood cinematic story driven game, they failed twice with Kane & Lynch so thought if they made a cinematic story driven game and bolted the Hitman name on the front that it would work, but it just doesn't work for the most part. The levels are much smaller and much less sandbox than previous Hitmans (and this is the biggest mistake of them all) most of the levels are more like Splintercell Conviction with a few sanbox levels thrown in to keep Hitman fans happy, but these sandbox levels are very few and far between and on a much smaller scale. You will spend a lot of time walking down small corridors being forced to make your way from point A to B to trigger the story which cannot be skipped, so everytime you replay the level your forced to watch and listen to the cut scenes and convos over and over again, this kills the replayability. The very few sandbox levels that do let you do as you wish are just not that great, you remember all the levels from Hitman Blood Money and Contracts, but you won't really find any memorable ones in Absolution.Selecting all the tools for the job at the start of the level is gone,this time you have to find weapons in the levels as you progress which also takes some of the fun out. No sniiper case this time either, if you want to snipe somebody now you have to find a strategically placed sniper rifle in the level, which is pretty silly as how many people do you know that leave sniper rifles laying around? a Hitman brings his own tools. 80% of the game just doesn't feel like a Hitman game, it feels much more like Splintercell Conviction with Agent 47 in it. Many of us fans have been replaying Hitman Blood Money over and over again for 6 long years itching for Hitman Blood Money 2, but Absolution just isn't that game, you won't be replaying Absolution over and over again for 6yrs that's for sure. Lets just hope IO start listening to the fans and delivers a Hitman that has 10-15 big sanbox levels with no interruptions and more like Blood Money was, and lets hope we don't have to wait another 6 years for it"

Another Hitman Lifer 4/10, not a "critic".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 8:50:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:52:30 AM PST
So you're Rickin10 or just able to copy and paste.

EDIT: Ah, it's copy and paste as that's from 2 user reviews.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:52:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:53:49 AM PST
MoultonHawk says:
Names are for freinds, I don't need one. :). You are correct sir.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 8:56:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 8:57:22 AM PST
Marvelous says:
"80% of the game just doesn't feel like a Hitman game, it feels much more like Splintercell Conviction with Agent 47 in it."

Awesome! That means I'm going to replay this game for the next six years... he's complaining the entire review, but every single thing he complained about made me even more excited to play it! Lol

Thank you for ensuring me I will truly love this game.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 9:04:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 9:06:45 AM PST
MoultonHawk says:
Neither to me seemed like a hater, both had played thru the series, and were big fans, but were not happy with the game. That means more than a review that says great game go get it with no substance.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:07:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 9:08:08 AM PST
Marvelous says:
They sound like the same cry babies that complained about the change of gameplay in Splinter Cell Conviction compared to the previous games in the series.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 9:13:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 9:16:05 AM PST
MoultonHawk says:
Redbox $2.16, booked. I was going to play thru the series, but PC controls just aren't as fun for me going all the way to absolution from zero.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:25:28 AM PST
Darth Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 9:28:44 AM PST
My thoughts exactly.

Posted on Nov 20, 2012 10:45:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 10:46:01 AM PST
smackaflash says:
Don't really mind the change myself. Still feels like vintage Hitman as far as finding creative ways to complete your mission. As for the disguise system, usually just as simple as wearing a unique costume and you're ghost to everyone else. Finding a unique costume with access to everything is a different story.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions