Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sorta OT: The misguided quest for blame continues: Shooting now blamed on Shepard.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:16:15 PM PST
Yeah, I should have caught that. I'll edit them out.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:01:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 9:02:14 PM PST
B. Hoover says:
Dum dum dum dum dum.

Reminds me of when a news station thought that people who had pedo bear stickers on their car were pedophiles and the sticker helped to identify one pedophile to another. A lot of grown-ups don't "get" our generation. Sucks for them.

People murdered like this sociopath in the past. There were no video games then.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:21:48 PM PST
Yep.

That said, I do not agree with the article in the OP posting the names of people who made those comments, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:20:42 PM PST
It could be argued that between the ME and DA games, BioWare FINALLY got the whole "gay character" thing right with Steve.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:18:51 PM PST
Probably because you can smoke every single guy ever in any online shooter of their choice, and this makes dudebros feel uncomfortable.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 2:00:25 PM PST
I wonder why the media hates video games. Is it because they cut into the ratings of News channels?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:58:24 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I was commenting on the rant like way he wrote his article. I fully agree with him in any case

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:49:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 1:49:34 PM PST
Well in this context it's especially ridiculous. The media accuses someone who is innocent of committing a horrible crime, and the video game that this person likes (remember, this person didn't kill anybody yesterday) gets blamed for that crime.

Any right-thinking person would find that ridiculous, unprofessional, offensive, etc..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:43:47 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I think the video game journalists are starting to get pissed that they are blamed every time a shooting happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:43:18 PM PST
Like I said earlier, it's easy to be outraged at these morons, but they were just acting in the heat of the moment. I'll bet most of them regret anything they said to Ryan or Bioware. Hell, we reduced an entire country (two actually) to little smokey bits after 9-11, I think we can excuse some rash Facebook posts in the wake of this unthinkable tragedy. Now if they persist in their madness, that's another matter entirely.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:38:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 1:38:50 PM PST
Lucanus says:
I think the lack of family values and the destruction of the middle class causes violence more than anything. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:37:31 PM PST
They shouldn't be allowed to live in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:08:15 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Yeah I man it has gun fights but half the time I am exploring. Blaming video games is stupid in general but at least find a game that is at least more related to the topic. Space exploration and galaxy saving is more than a stretch. I enjoyed your post. :)

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:06:22 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Jim Sterling chimed in on this as well: http://www.destructoid.com/mass-effect-and-more-attacked-over-school-shooting-240657.phtml

Not gonna try copy/paste due to language.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:03:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 1:07:07 PM PST
prsmooth says:
Boogles my mind. This accusation is beyond ludicrous, not to mention that its even the wrong person.

This is what happens when people that don't know an iota of a particular topic start spewing nonsense and then the sheep follow.

Mass Effect is tame as a "violent" game compared to others like Ninja Gaiden where you cut limbs and you see blood.

It just doesn't make sense.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:02:48 PM PST
SMH says:
I actually don't consider mass effect a violent game at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:59:51 PM PST
Biohazard says:
Good I hope they consider Mass Effect evil, and that's why I like HAHAHA WE ARE LEGION MOTHER F!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:58:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 12:59:41 PM PST
Lucanus says:
As many know I recently started playing Mass Effect for the first time. Today I was driving around a planet's surface shooting turrets and fighting giant worm like creatures. Granted I haven't played all of the game yet, but so far I have to ask, what does shooting elementary kids have to do with this game?

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:58:36 PM PST
I also wouldn't have minded a bi Jack. I would have probably hooked my FemShep up with her (she was a renegade so it's a good match). I just really liked the ME3 resolution with Jack and don't think it's fair to say that she was cured by the phallic power of man love :)

However, DV, I do totally agree that it's a shame that you can't have deeper non-sexual relationships in Bioware games. I actually really liked Anders in DA2 (I know most people didn't) but he kept hitting on me like a druken frat boy. I greatly enjoyed my BroShep's friendship with Steve in ME3 because he seemed to understand from our converstations what my orientation was. I think you could probably flip the coin the other way, too, because I assume that Jacob and Kaiden were made much more interesting for FemSheps who romanced them. BroSheps don't really connect with them at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:54:59 PM PST
Does it have anything to do with Shepard and his problem solving skills?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:40:25 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I wonder what purpose banning a five year old game would be

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:36:42 PM PST
K Archer says:
And why do I have a problem with guys in general again?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:30:48 PM PST
Anthony says:
"This is kinda troubling. I don't think what that girl was missing was 'penis.'"

there's no inner turmoil of his female crew members that Sheppard can't solve with his penis.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:25:20 PM PST
Never blame mental illness or allowing your kids to listen to crap like Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, or watching filth like Twilight.

Blame the sci-fi video game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:20:35 PM PST
I'd agree with that. I wasn't referring specifically to any gendered circumstances. I was just clarifying Evan's comments regarding Jack's romance.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions