Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT Music Question: Revolver vs Pet Sounds vs Sgt Pepper

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 98 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2013 8:10:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 8:43:36 PM PST
Which of these pop records is your favorite?

I had to ask this question, curious to know what the VGF thinks.

EDIT: I'd probably pick Pet Sounds, due to the fact that instrumentation is among my favorite out of all of the albums. And the vocals are a step beyond the Beatles, IMO.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 8:13:09 PM PST
DVvM says:
Of those three? Probably Pet Sounds. Neither Revolver nor Sgt Pepper are my favorite Beatles albums (that would probably be Rubber Soul.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 8:19:07 PM PST
I wonder if Rubber Soul would be considered to be a pop album in the style of those three.

I'm guessing probably not, although I think that album is amazing as well. Definitely a leap for the Beatles when it came to musical evolution.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 8:31:59 PM PST
Jonathan says:
I'm not a huge Beach Boys fan. I like Sgt. Pepper's the best between my choices here, personally.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 8:36:55 PM PST
What's your favorite Beatles album?

If you want mine, it would probably be the self titled. I know some people don't like the sprawling nature and some of the songs, but I personally love everything, even the experimental tracks.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 8:41:24 PM PST
I think both those Beatle albums are a step above Pet Sounds. However as it has been said, Rubber Soul is a better album than any either of the other two Beatle albums in question.

Also I think Rubber Soul should count as a pop album. If anything it is the more pop album over Revolver which is Beatles start towards psychedelic. I think Abbey Road is their best album but I don't think that's pop in the sense that you are going for.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 8:42:32 PM PST
Took me a bit to realize what album you meant. I've never heard anyone talk about it in terms other than "the white album".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 9:12:38 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Call me weird, but I would probably have to say Magical Mystery Tour. I hear the songs from the others (minus the white album, which I like only *slightly* less) constantly, so it's refreshing to hear those tracks.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 9:58:05 PM PST
I. Flores says:
Dark Side of the Moon.

The Beatles suck.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 10:00:17 PM PST
Jonathan says:
I'd say "No, Pink Floyd sucks!" ... but they don't, despite my personal dislike of Roger Waters.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 10:03:10 PM PST
I'm pretty sure the floyd would even disagree with you, as the beatles were a major influence on them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 12:38:02 AM PST
Dude! The Beatles were a huge influence of Pink Floyd!

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:28:24 AM PST
new Tron says:
Sgt. Peppers!

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:34:06 AM PST
Totido says:
I think I would go with Revolver, but not the best Beatles album.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:34:37 AM PST
Wait, are we comparing the Beatles to the Beach Boys? And some people think the Beach Boys are better? I don't know what world this is anymore.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:47:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2013 11:23:50 AM PST
Benpachi says:
The answer is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. This is not remotely debatable. Revolver is a mostly great album, still has a few crappy moptop songs though. Pet Sounds...lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:48:08 AM PST
Benpachi says:
I don't agree that The Beatles suck, but Dark Side of the Moon is definitely better than anything they ever did.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:48:27 AM PST
We aren't comparing both bands entire works, just these albums and Pet Sounds has been brought up as the best album of all time by many music magazines and other publications.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:52:20 AM PST
I. Flores says:
I think I overstated it a bit by saying The Beatles suck.
But they're definitely overrated. A lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:54:12 AM PST
It's kinda hard to call them over rated when they are probably the most influential band of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:55:08 AM PST
Really? Wow, I always think of the Beach Boys as sounds that play when I'm in an elevator. Well, a lot of people love Taylor Swift too, so I guess it's an each to their own situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:55:43 AM PST
It's easy to call them overrated if you ignore the context into which they introduced their music.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 6:58:21 AM PST
I would say Sgt Pepper. Pet Sounds was insanely influential ... maybe one of the most influential albums ever ... but it's not my favorite to listen to of the three.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 7:01:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2013 7:04:50 AM PST
It was a very impactful record that was considered the lead in to a lot of Prog Rock. I think Lennon even said that without it they would have never made Sgt. Pepper.

It was also considered one of the early starts of psychadelic music but so were the 2 Beatles albums mentioned.

EDIT: Looking at Wikipedia it was producer George Martin, not Lennon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 7:05:13 AM PST
Ah, wow, I had no idea they were influential. I must admit I just assumed they were like the Backstreet Boys.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions