Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OTish: Looking for a set of good speakers for my PC

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2013 6:47:40 AM PST
Now that I have my own room for a PC and we don't live in a condo anymore, I'm looking for some speakers that can really make a game sound good. Doesn't necessarily have to be a multi-speaker surround setup.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:57:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:01:03 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
If you have a Best Buy near, audition the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 set.

I've been very happy with this set , had it it for 1.5 yrs now. It really cranks too , powerful amp. ...and its horn loaded drivers for some music listening.

For something economical, i got these for my dad and actually put out really nice sound if you dont need something that cranks too loud:
Logitech Speaker System Z313

Also, Have you considered a stereo or surround headset?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 6:59:22 AM PST
budget?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 6:59:48 AM PST
$250 or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:00:51 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Go with what Mayo said. You don't need all this 5.1/7.1 surround sound BS for PC speakers. Those Klispch are ~150 for the 2.1 set and they blow away pretty much everything in it's class. My father has him and he listen to his iPod on - freaking bass is unreal.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:01:45 AM PST
klopas says:
Logitech Speaker System Z623

I've had this speaker system since November and it brings the boom for gaming. It's a bit on the pricey side at the moment as when I ordered it was on sale for $90.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:03:15 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
These are great too, tested these out in store.

Nate - if you want great sound at ~100 get the Z623's. If you want to spend a little more for a richer bass, get the Klipsch.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:06:22 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Those are really good too.

If you have an ample budget: The Logitec Z623 and Kilpch ProMedia 2.1 (both THX cert.) are the nicest,powerful sounding i heard at those price points.

Both are at Best Buy, both have good bass, i'd def go to audition them and see which you prefer on the midrange/high frequency range.

Bring an iPod and plug it right in.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:06:25 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
Best speaker set I've ever had is a surround system by Logitech:

Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System

Apparently, it's not made anymore - but these things are awesome.

Best part? I got them free because Logitech is so awesome.

I had bought the previous model for $200(on sale from $350 - thank you, NewEgg) (I think they were called something 680 something), and after about 2.5 years, one of the satellites went out. I called customer service to see if I could get it repaired - and they told me that they didn't make that set anymore, that it had been replaced by the 5500's above.

They then pointed out that there was a 3-year warranty on my set, so they were going to go ahead and send me the 5500 set at no charge.

I squealed in delight - as the 5500's blew away the 680's. That was about 7 years ago or so (I think) - and they have been through some abuse (mainly the Battlefield series), and continue to kick much a.

So - since they pretty much gave me this set, I've been a Logitech fan since. They have good stuff, and they stand behind it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:08:59 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
350 bucksssss, 150 for the Klipsch just seem like a way better bang for the buck lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:10:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:11:21 AM PST
Well if you want to get the absolute best within that budget I'd say go with these.

Audioengine P4 Black (Pr.) 2-Way Passive Bookshelf Speaker (AP4B)

The current model of these are the A5+ but those costs $400. For $150 less you get something pretty on par and that's pretty kick [butt].

Otherwise I'd say spend less and get the z623 or Klipsch already suggested.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:11:57 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Those are a lot of speakers though.

I cant do multi channel in a desktop environment though. Tiny speakers and lots of wires.

I have my receiver with my 7.1 in the same room. If i want directional audio i swap hdmi and play the PC on the big screen...or just use a headset to keep it simple.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:13:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:13:15 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Passive, you need to power them...no sub frequencies either. Good bookshelves otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:14:12 AM PST
Because of the setup I don't like surround for a PC. Surround speakers I think should be kept with the home theater setup and then spend the money on a receiver and some larger speakers that look nice in the room.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:17:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:23:02 AM PST
I will say that yes a drawback is you'd have to power them. However I wouldn't be concerned about a sub woofer as the low end with these speakers still sound better than most cheaper 2.1 PC speaker setups I've heard.

EDIT: and these will allow you to add a sub if you want, but that might break Fake Nate's budget.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:26:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:28:36 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I'm sure. See that would satisfy me with music.... But when that low frequency extension kicks in an explosion in- game, I'd be left disappointed with a 50Hz rolloff and the overall impact expected at those ranges.

When i first built my PC my budget was shot and thats what i ran off my B channels of my mancave receiver...some PSB Alpha B1 bookshelves. They always sounded 'off' gaming after being used to a sub the room console gaming.

If he has the space to tie in a receiver and a HT sub, yeah, he can get crazy and have a remote to boot. Thats a fun project if 'simple' is not a prerequisite. I love hooking up gear.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:27:10 AM PST
elect Tron says:
I bought these last year and am really happy with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:29:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:30:46 AM PST
I will say that I usually pick speakers that are great for music above all else. Also I realized I really should have recommended powered speakers so if I was gonna recommend something in that line of speakers (they really do sound awesome) I'd go with the A2, not the P4.

EDIT: and yeah, once you decide that it's worth it to get a seperate receiver then it feels like the whole world of sound opens up.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:50:16 AM PST
pokritz says:
I am also interested in getting a new set of speakers that are relatively cheap. I don't need anything too loud. I checked the first link, but that one doesn't have a bass control feature (unless I missed something).

Has anyone owned this set before?
Cyber Acoustics 30 Watt Powered Speakers with Subwoofer for PC and Gaming Systems in Standard Packaging, (CA-3602a)

pretty cheap and has bass control

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:52:51 AM PST
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be looking more into these after work when I hit up Best Buy!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:54:00 AM PST
Never used them but judging by the reviews it looks like they are great for a 2.1 system that only cost $40. Seems like a good bet unless you are willing to actually spend $100+

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:56:06 AM PST
pokritz says:
Nah, buying something really expensive isn't really worth it for me. My household has 3 completely different schedules, so I can't ever blast my speakers. I just need to hear the game I am playing...and my monitor speakers are starting to hurt my ears.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:57:13 AM PST
In that case get the $40 speakers and spend the real money on a great pair of headphones.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:03:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 8:04:36 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
They actually have those at Staples, last i was there. In case you want to look and listen to them.

Also note , well really a concern with any grill-less speaker, was that the dustcaps were all punctured in on the floor models (in case there are wandering hands in your house). Its a pretty cheaply built set at close inspection. I can say it looks much better in pictures. Really nice remote on it though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:05:58 AM PST
Well for $40 I think you'd expect a cheap looking set. However a cheap set with a protective might still be better if you are worried about others damaging the speaker.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Donald Drumpf really getting out there and motivating the young Hispanic voters!!! 1036 6 minutes ago
Regarding Doom 61 7 minutes ago
OT: What Are You Listening To-2016 Version! 962 10 minutes ago
OT: looks like whoever closed out the main OT got banned spamming it to death so I guess this is the new main OT 3305 12 minutes ago
Weekend gaming 05/27 - 05/29: Obama is the first sitting U.S. president to visit Hiroshima, city destroyed by atomic bomb, gets confused and accidentally visits Wii U R&D section of Nintendo HQ. Says about gaff, "Well, it looks like it was destroyed too." 112 18 minutes ago
I have a theory about the Xbox One.5 8 19 minutes ago
Overwatch Master List 50 41 minutes ago
Shadow Of The Beast: My Review 24 49 minutes ago
What are some methods to take to get a publisher to do a remake or whatever? I want a hd remaster of knights of the old republic, eternal darkness, and dark cloud 1 or 2. 21 51 minutes ago
OT: MSI GTX 1080 Founders Edition 17 1 hour ago
OT: President Trump - Get used to it 38 1 hour ago
Phil Spencer: You can share Xbone games with any ten people 493 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions