Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

So I am curious (Digital vs Physical question)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 90 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2013 5:15:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 5:18:44 AM PST
I was looking on Amazon today and noticed some of the Fire Emblem games on the 3DS is priced at about 60$ currently. Now you all know I love digital, but I am curious. If the Digital is 40$ and the physical is 60$ (not including shipping). (yes I see that there are some for 40$, but in a hypothetical situation, my question still stands)

Would you still get the physical despite a 50% price increase?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 5:21:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 5:24:48 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
The MSRP of the physical copy is not $60. Those are third party resellers taking advantage of the fact that Amazon shoppers will pay crazy high prices for games just to avoid going outside.

As for a hypothetical, I would do the inverse, and think that the inverse is how physical vs digital should be handled.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 5:36:20 AM PST
I know that the MSRP is 40$, I'm just asking the Hypothetical :3.

But i'm not sure what you mean, you are saying the Digital should be 60$ and the Physical 40$?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 5:38:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 5:38:21 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
No, I'm saying that digital vs physical should be a 15-30% difference in price in favor of the digital.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 5:39:30 AM PST
Gameresq says:
I will pay a premium for physical. That said, 50% is a big premium. To address the question presented: no, I would not pay a 50% premium. The game is amazing, by the way.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 5:43:33 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
i always like to have the physical disc when possible. there's just something about having a shelf full of video games.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 5:56:04 AM PST
pokritz says:
@ times when I can buy games for 240 Microsoft points or $2.99 (see: El Shaddai), i'll take my chances and buy digital

otherwise i tend to own the physical copy to have in my collection

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 5:57:21 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Yup, it's good for show - and good for robbers to come steal it all.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:03:14 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
yeah. if they stole my games they'd probably steal the PC and consoles too. then i'd be screwed

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:06:02 AM PST
Have to agree there.

Though when I was a cub, our house was robbed, and my gameboy with all it's games were sitting in a case... the robber took the gameboy out, removed the game AND the batteries putting them in the case, then just took the gameboy...

I still don't know why. They took other stuff too but that was the only thing of mine taken.

So for a majority of those that answered it seems to only be about physically collecting the item, not about "What if" scenarios. Most interesting :3

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:08:39 AM PST
Keller says:
I personally would yes. I prefer physical. Just my preference, I feel like I have more control when it comes to owning physical instead of digital. Once consoles go all digital, I might as well go Steam.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 6:09:45 AM PST
Prankster says:
If it's a matter of a couple of dollars, yes, I would buy the physical version. But a difference of $20 as is the case here, no way. Money controls the decision.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 6:19:41 AM PST
In the case presented here, I'd probably just go with digital if I had to have the game right away and the $60 inflated price was the only option for buying the physical game, just because I would not want to reward price-gougers who are trying to taking advantage of the temporary stock shortage.

That said, I strongly prefer physical media whenever possible. To look at a different scenario, if there were a new game in a series that I was a big fan of (say the Atelier series), and the digital game was $50 but the Limited Edition NISA Box Set (with perhaps a CD and an art book) was $70, I'd take the Box Set every time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:20:17 AM PST
Ok so let me ask a follow up. Is there a limit to how much you would pay for a Physical over the digital?

What if it was 100$, or 200$?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:22:14 AM PST
I can understand that, in fact the only physical games I buy now are the Collectors or LE ones cause of the extra stuffs.

I never regret getting the Music CD for Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis... some amazing songs on that disc.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:25:14 AM PST
Keller says:
If the price difference were that great for physical, I'd wait and buy used for $20.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:27:14 AM PST
What is that was the used price? It's just a hypothetical, I'm more curious if there is a price limit where you would ever get digital or just ignore the game completely.

What if the game was Digital only?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:31:44 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I would consider buying the higher priced physical version if it was still within the regular MSRP. In this situation where the game is being sold by third party retailers for more than retail I would not buy it.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 6:35:30 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
i prefer physical. i like having a collection

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:36:37 AM PST
Keller says:
Depends on the quality of the game. I would buy digital if the game were fantastic and my options were limited. I just avoid it when I can.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:45:44 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
lol wtf? what a dumb robber. at least you still had your games.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 6:47:52 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Fire Emblem is a pretty good game, but I would never pay $60 for a handheld title.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:25:02 AM PST
Understandable.

I really am just trying to gather info =). I do have one last question.

If Nintendo said "For 1 day only, Fire Emblem is Free digitally and if you download it on that day you get it permanently for free" (Meaning you can play it for more than just that day) Would you still buy a physical copy for part of a collection or just to have it?

"lol wtf? what a dumb robber. at least you still had your games. "

It made 0 sense to me! But yes I still got to keep my games plus my old brick Gameboy was a pain so it was reason enough for my parents to get me a Game boy Color!

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 7:33:12 AM PST
I normally would shoot for whatever copy of the game is cheaper, but I never do used. Even though I love the aspect of cheaper games, but I almost feel as though it was used games that created this mess that we are in.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 7:36:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 7:45:43 AM PST
Chocolette says:
If MSRP was $60 and Digital was $40....I'd wait for retail prices to drop.

But if a company were to offer a game for free, I'd take it for free. Who says no to free games? And I wouldn't get physical unless there was a collectors edition and I loved the game.

I think I read that Phantasy Star Online 2 will be free on PSN (in Japan) but people can still buy the cartridge...which comes with some extra stuff. For me, that doesn't compute.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  90
Initial post:  Feb 28, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions