Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sony registers domains for PlayStation Cloud

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2013 12:11:19 PM PST
http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/19/sony-registers-domains-for-playstation-cloud/

Sony registers domains for PlayStation Cloud
While many are expecting Sony to announce PS4 in New York City tomorrow, the firm is also rumored to be unveiling what it plans to do with the cloud service Gaikai it bought for a $380 million last year.

Today, domains for PlayStation-Cloud.com, PlayStation-Cloud.org and PS-Cloud.net turned up online.

The domain registrations were dug up by none other than Internet super sleuth, Superannuation.

Whatever Sony's plans are, we'll all find out tomorrow when the event is broadcast live.

Plus, I'll be there in the audience along with everyone else and will give you a full report straight from the floor as quick as I can once it's over and done with.

Be sure to put a pot of coffee on tomorrow night, UK peeps. You're gonna need it.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 12:34:21 PM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Sony is putting a lot of stock into Cloud gaming. This could end really poorly.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:35:21 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
MS is putting even more stock in it. It's gonna be equal footing on that front.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 12:37:15 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Tomorrow is the day.

Would really suck if they don't announce the PS4 but rather some Gaikai-renamed service..

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 12:38:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 12:40:52 PM PST
Lyrick_ says:
I have a horrible feeling both are going to be pushing "As a Service" models. I am not ready to jump onto any platform that hides its feature set behind a [subscription based] paywall.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 12:39:28 PM PST
John McClane says:
Sony is going to be the next Onlive.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:47:55 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
PS3 already requires a subscription for the cloud. This'll be nothing different, except that maybe it'll be supported by games themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:16:42 PM PST
Well they spent $380 million on Gaikai.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:17:28 PM PST
I don't think MS has invested a whole lot into cloud gaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:19:54 PM PST
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-07-microsoft-internet-bandwidth-issues-make-cloud-gaming-a-challenge

<snip>

"So there's just bandwidth issues in terms of metering and things that are out there. So I believe, yes, in the long run we'll land in a spot where there's cloud distribution of all content and Microsoft is clearly invested in that. I like the work that Gaikai does, I play games on Gaikai, and if I get the right bandwidth situation they're actually good experiences.

"But today it's not really up to scale. You're still going to be pushing boxes out to people's houses that they're going to plug into the TV. That's what they're going to use to play their AAA games. And I think that'll be the case for a while. But that's not trying to downplay what Gaikai is doing, because I think that it's great that they're investing in it."

Many predict that Microsoft and Sony will include cloud gaming features in their next generation home consoles, rumoured to be due out late next year.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 2:20:52 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
It's not 1995, I don't see why people are against cloud servers.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 2:21:37 PM PST
Soulshine says:
Somebody, quick! Tell me why I hate cloud gaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:22:08 PM PST
Because it's not corporeal? I dunno. I tried. I'm sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:22:15 PM PST
Because it requires "always online" connections, apparently.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:22:22 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Just look at how many people play League of Legends, get on with the times please.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:22:44 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
MS has invested a lot into cloud computing in general. Windows 8 and Office 2013 are primarily made to operate in the cloud. No reason to think they won't somehow implement this business strategy in Xbox too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:22:51 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I hate it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:23:01 PM PST
I. Flores says:
I don't think MS has invested a whole lot into gaming, period.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:24:42 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
Completely ignoring every positive it brings...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:26:03 PM PST
Because it's new!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:27:21 PM PST
Oh, I'm sure they're looking into it. I'm not so sure they've spent nearly as much as Sony has.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:27:59 PM PST
LMAO, sick burn!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:28:49 PM PST
Ah, is that why people hate Win8 and Office 13?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:30:52 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
People hate Windows 8 because it's different. Truthfully, it's great if you have a touchscreen-enabled PC...not so much if you have to use a mouse.

People hate Office 2013 because of the subscription model.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:31:56 PM PST
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-03-sony-buying-gaikai-its-certainly-a-move-for-playstation-4

<snip>

"Microsoft has already got its ball," said Payne, "they've bashed that ball around quite a fair bit, don't worry about that. They've already got their strategy well in place.

"If anything, Sony has been playing catch up. It's just that Microsoft hasn't told everybody necessarily what they're doing with their streaming service.

"Very simply," he added, "Microsoft is a technology company. This is about technology. They will have their balls nicely in a row, without any shadow of a doubt, on their offering through Xbox. They know that. It will only be a matter of time, won't it? It's an arms race.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions