Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: What is the VGF reading?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 631 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2011 2:58:19 PM PDT
We've had a few book discussions on here, but never really discussed what we're reading now. Gamers tend to be fans of escapism, and I'm wondering what you guys like to jump into bookwise. I know that I personally have a reading list that's as long as my arm, but I'm always looking to add more books to it.

What I Read Last: God's Demon

What I'm Reading Now: Supergods: What Masked Vigilantes, Miraculous Mutants, and a Sun God from Smallville Can Teach Us About Being Human

What I'm Reading Next: Finch

Huh, Just realized those sound like very religious books. They really aren't, tho. God's Demon is more of a horror/fantasy, and SuperGods is about the comic book industry, written by one of the current greats. So how about you guys? What are you reading these days?

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 3:00:46 PM PDT
R. Nickerson says:
Just finished Ready Player One. If you were a teenager in the 80s, or are fan of the 80s culture you cannot miss this book.

Ready Player One

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 3:04:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 3:04:11 PM PDT
Kirksnowsion says:
The Road

Barely just started it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 3:22:21 PM PDT
get ready to be depressed. That is a very sad book. Incredibly well written, tho.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 3:22:31 PM PDT
I'm reading your post, is this some sort of trick question?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 3:24:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 3:25:07 PM PDT
I don't think so? How does it seem like a trick? Sorry if I rambled there. I didn't really proof read the post.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 3:27:41 PM PDT
I'm just making a silly joke, don't fret about it.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 3:28:34 PM PDT
Lost City of Z.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 3:28:50 PM PDT
I actually just finished Stephen kings mile 81 short story. I'm now reading Adam carollas book: in 50 years we'll all be chicks.....very funny book.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 3:39:21 PM PDT
Since Halloween is rapidly approaching I decided to pick up something creepy. Because one of the books that I read years ago which chilled me to my core, and has stuck with me now for decades, Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans, I decided to pick up something in the same vein, so I'm currently reading The Rite: The Making of a Modern Exorcist. I've only read about the first 25 page, so I don't know if it's a worthwhile read or not.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 3:44:16 PM PDT
Aku says:
Read last: Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel. Stephen King's kid puts out a standard-fare ghost story with a decent twist halfway through. Like his dad, he's not afraid of the naughty words. Solid 7.5/10

Currently reading: Slaughterhouse-Five: A Novel. Read through it several times now, but I still enjoy it. 9/10 for me.

Up next: my own book sample on Amazon, which I will not link. Just making sure the sample chapter is what I wanted it to be, and I cheated Amazon's no-free-book rule by adding a few hundred thousand characters of "moo" to get it. 1.5/10 for it.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 3:49:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 3:49:41 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
just finished this for the second time:

Confessions of a D-List Supervillain

it's surprisingly awesome, and i'm hoping it turns into a series, as the author's hinted.

$2.99 on Kindle. :D

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 3:50:21 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
currently reading this:

Mercury Falls (Mercury Series Book 1)

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 3:51:26 PM PDT
Anybody know a good horror book they can recommend? I'm pretty much looking for any type of horror.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 4:13:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 4:13:58 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
Night of the Living Trekkies (Quirk Fiction)

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 4:24:24 PM PDT
I am Legend is always a good choice, if you haven't read it already. Please don't judge the book by the movie. It's creepy, sad, and puts a good spin on the vampire that later inspired George Romero to create Night of the Living Dead

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 4:36:58 PM PDT
McAwesomeo says:
I am currently reading:
Machine Man (Vintage Contemporaries Original)

What I'm reading next:
John Dies at the End ...For like the tenth time.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 4:40:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2011 4:41:28 PM PDT
G. Himes says:
ANYTHING by Richard Matheson is good. Even the very old stuff manages to hold up, despite the advances of knowledge. For those that don't know, Matheson penned "I am Legend," as well as hundreds of other titles, and wrote some of the better and creepier "Twilight Zone" episodes, the two Kolchak pilots, a Night Gallery Episode, and even a Star Trek episode.
And, once you're done with Matheson, you should probably try some of the real dark stuff by Philip K. Dick...

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 4:48:26 PM PDT
Ramen says:
Berserk Manga and the Game of Thrones series of books-I never read past the first. HBO needs to hurry up and air the second season of A Game of Thrones already.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 6:44:25 PM PDT
im currently reading... well rereading Warrior Moon i have no idea what i will read next.... mabie i will reread the kitty norville series

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 7:38:25 PM PDT
M. Stifler says:
A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 7:44:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 4, 2011 10:24:05 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 8:07:06 PM PDT
I'm interested in Supergods. I read the demo of the book available on Kindle. I'm currently reading A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five, but I'm thinking of trading out for Bag of Bones or Hondo

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 8:07:28 PM PDT
*whistles* Best of luck with that, man... Good book, but dang.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2011 8:08:47 PM PDT
GOOD BOOK!

It was the first thing I got for my Kindle and I've never regretted the choice. That's a funny damn book.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  112
Total posts:  631
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions