Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Petition on White House website requests permission for Louisiana to secede from the US

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 144 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:32:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 1:38:19 PM PST
Anthony says:
who wants to live in Alaska? there are many reasons not too. including the fact that it is the home of sarah palin.

i mean, they have to PAY people to stay there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:36:14 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Just because you don't understand what's happening doesn't mean you have to dumb the issue down to something you understand, JJ.

Wait, that comes across a bit too strong.

Perhaps there's more to it than meets the eye, JJ.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:39:36 PM PST
Alaska is actually a beautiful state, and there are lucrative jobs located in certain industries there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:05:33 PM PST
Obama is technically grey.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:09:20 PM PST
Goodbye and good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:10:50 PM PST
You're joking, right? California is bleeding money out its ass.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:31:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 9:32:55 PM PST
In New York State a similar idea came up years ago about separating upstate from downstate because of different views on how the state should be run. This is what happens when you have two sides that are far apart on the future path of governance and when both are inflexible.

This idea doesn't surprise me because when Obama was elected the first time he was supposed to unify the country and bring people together. After all in 2008 he ran on "hope and change" and pretty much nothing else. It was a very positive campaign. Since then he has played a strategy of divide and conquer and has driven the varying ideologies further apart. His campaign this time was very negative. No wonder there is so much division and bitterness among various groups of people in the country. We don't have a strong leader who brings people together. We also don't have a federal government that has a clue what to do about the sluggish economy, insanely unbalanced and overly complex tax code, and out of control debt.

I'm guess a lot of people see looming fiscal disaster and don't want to be a part of that. By the end of the year we'll see just how dysfunctional the federal government is if they don't come to a budget agreement, and I don't have any faith that they will.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:34:05 PM PST
Alaska is more ideal.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:35:08 PM PST
Wyoming is actually closer to places though, so things aren't nearly as expensive as they are in Alaska.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:35:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 9:37:05 PM PST
Plus Wyoming is the most tax friendly state in the country according to the Tax Foundation.

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/2013-state-business-tax-climate-index-which-states-have-best-tax-systems-business

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:36:14 PM PST
For the record, I am totally for the right of secession. People have the right to self-determination. This was pretty much the basis of the Revolutionary War...and this was forgotten less than a century later during the Civil War.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:36:59 PM PST
Well it depends whether or not you REALLY value having almost no people around.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:38:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 9:39:12 PM PST
Wyoming is sufficiently desolate for my needs. It's the second most desolate state in the U.S. That should be enough for anybody!

The places where people aren't, in Alaska, are kind of harder to live in than the places where people aren't in Wyoming, anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:42:00 PM PST
Fair enough.

Will you still visit the VGF, at least?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:42:24 PM PST
Many people who have never been to California are surprised at how diverse the state really is and there have been talks about splitting the northern and southern parts of the state. One of the motivations for that is, interestingly enough, water...

As for Obana, I never really fell for his rhetoric. Perhaps because I saw another politician who positioned himself as an outsider to politics with a message about change (Schwarzenegger.) He ultimately became part of the problem much as Obama did. To be honest I am a little surprised that people were so emotionally invested in this presidential election. No matter who won we essentially have a lame duck president for at the first half of the upcoming term. It is very much going to be business as usual except for Supreme Court nominations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:42:36 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Out of all the states that would survive it would be in the top 5 due to its location and size. Sure, it is bleeding money out of its ass but so is the entire country. It is still the 7th largest economy in the world, used to be 6th and still may be but I think it has dipped a bit.

Nope, 8th now according to Wikipedia. I think it would be just fine....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:44:29 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Montana though has a lot of desolate areas, especially in the North. Also, Missoula is a bit more Progressive than anything one would ever find in Wyoming and it is also a pretty cool town. I would pick Montana if I had a choice between the two, but Wyoming is beautiful, but the damn wind and cold gets a bit too much. Casper gets so damn cold, hell nearly the entire state does.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:54:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 9:59:22 PM PST
I can imagine a lot of states have widely varying views based on what part of the state you're in. What can be a big problem is when you have half or more the population of a state living in one city (and surrounding areas). That is New York's problem. NYC politicians dominate the state legislature and don't particularly care about the problems upstate faces. They make endless rules and regulations that hurt the upstate economy.

There are some parts of upstate NY that have traditionally relied on farming to keep their local economies going but have fallen on tough times in recent years. Some of these counties are sitting on top of massive supplies of natural gas. The problem is they can't exploit this resource, which would help their economies and keep the cost of natural gas down for the entire state, because downstate politicians (and the last 3 governors) have been blocking the drilling because they are against hydro fracking. This is just one example of downstate politicians making decisions that hold back the upstate economy. The other main issue is the huge amount of mandates placed on local governments (some of them are ridiculous) that have forced upstate counties to have to raise property taxes by an insane amount in the last 20 years.

It is stuff like this, decisions (decisions far beyond just slavery alone) made by politicians who are far away that were harming the economies in southern states, that caused the Civil War. It is why many people now don't like the federal government, and why some people take it is far as wanting to leave the union. This is a lot more complicated than sour grapes, Republican vs Democrat BS.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:38:14 PM PST
This.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:41:22 PM PST
Missoula is a fun place and not far from Seattle, Couer de Laine (spelling?), Spokane....progressive and yet not crazy large. I think it had about 200k people last time I was there. Maybe less.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:11:44 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Spokane is probably one of the more conservative cities in Washington as that who usually runs the place as well as the reps for WA and DC. Also, the surrounding counties are really, really conservative. But Spokane has become more Progressive in recent years....Though my brother in law practically lives on a compound, has his own home church and is quite frankly whacky as are all his friends. Some weird stuff in that area.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:28:29 PM PST
California couldn't survive on its own, it's a financial sh*t hole. But, there was some effort last year for 13 counties in southern California to become the USA's 51st state, called Southern California.

http://www.kget.com/news/local/story/Could-Southern-California-become-the-51st-state/GSndzfTAKUah09e-GgnMUw.cspx

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:34:55 PM PST
There were or are a lot of whites behind Herman Cain, Colin Powell, and most recently, Mia Love. I personally know of two blacks that are still staunch Democrats, but possibly more anti-Obama than the southern-most slackjaw yokel.

I won't argue that racism is still alive in the US, and some of that has to do with the hatred for Obama, but I don't think it's as big as what the Obama diehards want you to believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:37:15 PM PST
In all seriousness, Alaskans are faced with the highest rate of domestic abuse and alcoholism of all 50 states.

However, the nature alone is enough to make me want to live there, and I hate the cold. I hate wife-beating, too, but neither would scare me away from Alaska.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:51:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 11:51:23 PM PST
Without the rest of the union to hold it in check, it really would not surprise me in the least if California went through several governmental upheavels. In recent years it's really starting to seem like the government just does not know how to handle itself fiscally, and there are too many major interest groups who want attention.

And while the US at large can get away with bleeding money, largely due to how important it is on the world stage, any single state with the kind of expenditure to income ratio that California's got right now would probably go the way of Greece within a few years when cut off from the rest of the country.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  144
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions