Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

What Steam game is worth it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2012 11:00:23 AM PST
I got $40 to add to my Steam wallet for Christmas, so I am looking for games. I purchased the Stronghold Collection for $9.99 (I grew up with them), and also the Fallout Collection for $6.79 (wanted to try the older games). That leaves me with a little over $23, and am debating over a few games. The Half-Life Collection is $19.99, and so is Guild Wars. I've never played Half-Life, but have heard nothing but great things. I have never gotten into MMOs (short attention span), but with Guild Wars, this may be something I get sucked in to. Also ARMA 2 is $18, and I don't know much about it, but it looks good, and I can then get DayZ. Are there any other games you recommend?

BQ: My change will be gifting Indie Games to a friend. Any games you recommend for her?

^^I copied and pasted it from a Yahoo answers question. Sorry for the sporadic appearances, I'm still here. Once I get less busy with school I can post more. Merry Christmas, love you guys.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:41:45 AM PST
I bought ARMA 2, though have yet to play it. Guild Wars 2 is great, and I'm definitely not an MMO guy at all. I'm waiting on Hotline Miami and Torchlight 2...those will be it for me this winter.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 1:20:58 PM PST
Mass Effect one and two for ten bucks is good.
I have a huge backlog but I may get the two Batman Arkham games.
It all depends on your taste.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 1:22:55 PM PST
JJ4prez says:
Chivalryyyyyy

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:49:29 PM PST
I ended up buying Left 4 Dead 2 for me and gifting it to a friend (he bought me Far Cry 3). I then bought an indie game Home for $1.01 and gifted it to him and another friend.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:35:44 PM PST
Has FC3 even been on sale during this event on Steam, or did your friend drop some serious gaming budget on you? Either way, if you like L4D2, you might want to check out Killing Floor during the next free weekend that they have for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:39:43 PM PST
If you're going to get Arkham then buy this bundle (ends today.)

Batman Arkham GOTY Pack [Download]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:56:37 PM PST
No, and he got it for me on Xbox. I've lent him a whole bunch of games, and bought him stuff over the years. Now that he has a job, that was his thank you gift for all I've done for him.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:21:12 PM PST
Gomb says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:10:00 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
Weren't you ibtching the other day about Steam selling DOTA2 and how it used to be a mod? You DO know that Chivalry is the same case where a mod was turned into a full fledged game for the sequel, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 10:21:23 PM PST
as well as Team Fortress being a mod and the sequel being game.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:45:07 PM PST
The Half-Life series is great. They may seem "dated" now if grew up on modern shooters, but they are awesome games and with an open mind you'll get good enjoyment out of them.

I'll second the Killing Floor recommendation. I just got it this winter sale and it is the perfect mix of L4D, CoD Zombies, and a little Counter-Strike. Very fun co-op horde mode shooter.

For indie games I recommend Bastion, the Bit Trip games, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story + (Heard great things about it, haven't played it myself), and Dwarfs?!. All those will entertain you, and some of them are pretty long.

I know you bought games already, but figured I'd throw those out there anyways :)

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 4:37:35 AM PST
Breeze says:
The VGF Steam group had a discussion about this earlier: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Ama-VGF/discussions/0/864945276447278556/

Killing Floor is definitely my top recommended game and is currently on sale again. While it isn't really my thing (I hate mouse-based movement in games of the genre) Torchlight and Torchlight 2 seem to be very popular.
Team Fortress 2 is free on Steam, so that's another good way to go for multiplayer with friends.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 4:40:26 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
just played some Chivalry last night. it was tons of fun!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:43:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 7:45:13 AM PST
Darksiders Franchise if it goes back on sale for ~$13 (it probably will on the last day)

I finally beat the first one last night, after getting it during a Steam sale last year. Now I'm starting second one and it's just as awesome as the first, in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:08:32 PM PST
Gomb says:
Chivalry is the SEQUEL to a free source mod, that's true, but it is still a standalone retail game that costs money. DOTA 2 is a FREE GAME for anybody, which is why I am surprised that Steam is trying to charge 15$ for it.. it seems a bit criminal taking advantage of people who don't realize it's a free download.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 8:29:13 AM PST
Sparhawk says:
Half-Life 2 is definitly worth it. Some sort of bundle with the Portals is one of the best packages in videogaming.

There's a button on the main store page for 'things on sale'. There's a button on the right side of most game pages for 'download demo'. It's approximately just as easy to run a demo as getting the retail version, so feel free to test before throwing your virtual wallet at things!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:17:15 AM PST
JadedGamer says:
Your DOTA2 argument is supported by the worst logic ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 4:50:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 4:51:30 PM PST
Noble Seven says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 5:02:19 PM PST
vishock says:
don't listen to this nerd. he also gave borderlands a 1/5. even if it wasn't your cup of tea, the game is well developed. obvious troll is obvious.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions