Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge - IGN Review

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2012 11:01:31 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/13/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-review

Can I get extra blood with that?

→ November 13, 2012 Much has changed since you may have read some unkind things about Ninja Gaiden 3 earlier this year. In fact, it's not even fair to call the refurbished Razor's Edge a "director's cut." Rather, it's more like a film that's been screen-tested, made changes based on lots of negative feedback, and then released in a significantly different form than it was originally shown. Of course, that makes Xbox and PS3 owners akin to screen-testers who paid $60 for the privilege, but that's another matter. Regardless of whether you're coming to Razor's Edge as a Ninja Gaiden neophyte or a series veteran looking for this franchise to redeem itself, you've come to the right place.

Ninja badass Ryu Hyabusa has slain countless rivals and demons in his day, and that is the foundation of NG3's gameplay. Lightning-quick moves define Ryu, be it with his trusty Dragon Sword or one of the other equally brutal weapons, such as the slicing, dicing Wolverine-esque claws or the slow-but-punishing Scythe, that you unlock over the course of the campaign. Each weapon has its own unique moves purchased with Karma points, which adds a lot of welcome variety to a game that was originally about cutting millions of guys over and over with the same single weapon and the same batch of moves. Doing well in each battle -stringing together combos without being hit, quickly finishing off batches of bad guys - earns you the Karma cash, which is tracked in real-time on the left side of the screen during each fight. It's a bold move for an action game to say to the player, "Hey, I'm watching you. Impress me."

Razor's Edge's pure-action gameplay will certainly impress you. The long odds stacked against Ryu in nearly every situation only serve to make you feel unstoppable as you tear through the opposition, while the scores of gore effects - be it arterial sprays or severed limbs - make each encounter all the more theatrically impressive to your eye. Though the pace of combat is much smoother and faster than the first NG3 release, some moves are still glorified Quick-Time Events, and frustration abounds when Ryu doesn't snap out of an action as fast as it seems like he should.

The addition of Ayane certainly doesn't hurt the game. The crossover cameo from developer Team Ninja's Dead or Alive brawler series lets you lace up the leather bustier of Ryu's equally skilled colleague. She gets her own missions in Razor's Edge, and her faster, nimbler play style serves as both a complement and a refreshing break from Ryu's mainline quest.

No matter who you're in control of, however, Razor's Edge is going to hurt you, badly and often. The Ninja Gaiden series has never been for the faint of heart, and players familiar with the original NG3 release will find that the game's sadistic sense has been restored on the Wii U. Bosses have had their cajones digitally restored, to the point that you should expect to get stuck on some of them for extended amounts of time (between 30 and 60 minutes at the worst, in my experience). Heck, even the regular minions start to get soul-crushingly challenging when the zombies and demons show up about halfway through the campaign. I can almost guarantee you're going to want to hurl your controller across the room at times; a masochistic tilt has always been an unstated requirement to enjoy this series.

Speaking of controllers, Razor's Edge might seem like a $60 game, but you should really budget another $50 on top of that, as a Pro Controller is practically (but not technically) required here. While the system's signature Wii U GamePad is plenty ergonomic, it's simply not a good fit, literally, for the kind of action Ninja Gaiden 3 throws at you. And as far as the GamePad's screen goes, it's not put to much use, with a moves list for the equipped weapon on display before you rather than tucked away in a menu.

Visually, Ninja Gaiden 3 is hardly going to make your PS3 and Xbox-owning friends envious. In fact, Razor's Edge is arguably uglier than its cousins, with bland textures and a bad case of the "jaggies" combining to create a muddy look that would've been called out seven years ago during the Xbox 360's launch. Still, the framerate stays (mostly) smooth, which is crucial for a game like this. Plus, at this stage it's nice - if admittedly a novelty - to be playing a Nintendo game in high-definition.
Become a fan of IGN
Follow @IGN
The Verdict

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge might be the polar opposite of the usual Nintendo fare. The `M' rating on the box is not a joke, what with the hyper-fast ninja action title's unending display of severed limbs and decapitated heads. It's fantastic to see this kind of hardcore gamer's game on a Nintendo console - and at the Wii U's launch, no less - and you can forget much of what you may have heard about the original release of this game earlier this year on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. It's far from perfect and best viewed with "launch goggles" on, but Razor's Edge's unflinching action and unabashed violence is a great sign for the Wii U as a core gamer's platform.

7.6 - Good

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:04:05 AM PST
On a side note, I already have a couple Wii U games and I hate the cases. I'll give Sony credit for one thing, PS3 games have the best cases.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:05:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 11:05:45 AM PST
Really? I can't say I have noticed a difference in quality between the ps3, 360 and Wii. I don't have any U games though. I have noticed a major difference in instruction manuals. Back in the day they used to be color with maps. Now they are just nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:09:21 AM PST
I hope you love that baby blue color because you'll be seeing a lot of it.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:11:45 AM PST
Mel says:
can't polish a turd

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:13:31 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
What's the problem with the cases, aside from the color?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:14:33 AM PST
Fair point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:16:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 11:22:50 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Vita too.

I'll get my first Wii U case tonight. I'll post impressions..... No, it was a joke.

On topic: I don't like Ninja Gaiden. I tried it on Xbox, I tried it again on the 360, and I even tried the Vita version. Game is just not for me. I felt shoehorned into the same jumping-downward slash maneuver, like that's the only way to break the enemies' guard.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:18:00 AM PST
You know how 360 cases have holes in them? So do Wii U cases. They are also a tad smaller than Wii cases which isn't a big deal really but they look ind of silly stacked next to Wii games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:18:53 AM PST
The baby blue Wii U cases are worse than Vita blue cases.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:19:03 AM PST
You just need to buy more Wii U games so the regular Wii games look silly next to the Wii U games.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:19:03 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Ugh. I hate that. How'd you get Wii U games early, by the way?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:21:13 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Shouldn't be hard. After this weekend, I'll own more Wii U games than Wii games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:22:38 AM PST
While I believe that is a true statement.... that is the dumbest thing I have ever read. wow.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:23:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 11:24:14 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Dude, you really need to understand that not everyone likes the same games that you adore.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:23:40 AM PST
They just came in today. I had Uncharted: Golden Abyss and UMvC3 on February 10th, five days before I had my Vita. 3DS games were out early too. I'm sure some stores around you have Wii U games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:24:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 11:26:26 AM PST
Dude, gamers should realize every major console has a great lineup of games, if one looks open minded enough.

I never had a problem finding enough games to enjoy my Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, ps1, ps2, ps3 and Turbo Graphix. Maybe that is just me though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:25:40 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
*le sigh*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:31:40 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
You're right. Game Stop online actually has several Wii U games in stock and shipping.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:54:21 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Eh, I guess if I do get something else besides Mario maybe it will be ZombieU instead of this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 12:00:49 PM PST
false: prometheus.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 12:02:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 12:13:19 PM PST
NG3 was well produced/presented but didn't feel like NG anymore.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 12:04:52 PM PST
Cinema Fan says:
How can Keller not have Wii U games when his wife got the WiiU delivered yesterday? What an i-diot

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 12:07:44 PM PST
Incorrect.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_possible_to_polish_poop

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 12:08:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 12:09:00 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Mythbusters proved it as well.

I thought the point of the saying though was that at the end of the day, polished or not, you still have a lump of shit.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions