Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Xbox World to reveal next-gen details in new issue - Report

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2012 11:45:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 11:52:50 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-world-to-reveal-next-gen-details-in-new-issue-report-6400312

I know Wii U season is in high swing, but let's step out of that for a second and go to cloud 9 for a spell. Because that's exactly where this spec sheet and pricing comes from.

The magazine will reportedly use its penultimate issue to reveal details about the next-gen Xbox; the console is said to include Kinect 2.0, Blu-ray discs, and more.

The penultimate issue of Xbox World magazine will reportedly reveal new details about Microsoft's new Xbox console, according to CVG.

The magazine's editor reportedly told the site that the next-generation Xbox will most likely be called "Xbox" instead of "Xbox 720", and will ship with 8GB of RAM and a quad-core processor.

Other details about the new console that will reportedly be revealed by Xbox World include Kinect 2.0, Blu-ray discs, directional audio, a TV output and input, an "innovative" controller, and the possibility of augmented-reality (AR) glasses to be used at a later stage in the new console's life.

Microsoft has not officially confirmed that it is at work on a new console, but speculation about the new Xbox has been circulating for some time. In June, a 56-page document allegedly from Microsoft indicated that the company is planning to launch an Xbox 720 in 2013 at $299. An updated version of the Kinect was to be included, and AR glasses support would be added sometime after launch. The document has since been removed at the behest of Microsoft's legal team.

Earlier this month, Microsoft filed a patent for a new tech system designed to monitor viewers while they watch TV.

There are several "Red flags" throughout this report, let's start with what this supposed console comes with:

8 GB Ram
Quad Core Processor
Kinect 2.0
Blu-Ray Drive
Directional audio
TV output and input
New "Innovative" controller

All of the above doesn't equal $299.99, in fact there's no way you can sell something like that at that price and stay out of the red for long. Besides it's M$, need I say more? Anyway moving on:

Will be named "Xbox", call me crazy but wasn't there an Xbox already? Unless Microsoft's smoking whatever Apple is on and goes with "The New Xbox" a la Apple's "New Ipad" this isn't the case.

Of all the code-names we've heard so far I severely doubt that "New" or simply Xbox is the best they can do.

Lastly:

"a patent for a new tech system designed to monitor viewers while they watch TV."

What the hell? Microsoft really likes that bigger brother vibe don't they? Another article on this says -

"The system then compares the number of viewers visible in the frame with the licensing terms attached to the product; prompting watchers to purchase additional licenses (as required) for each person watching."

So now they're going to improve the ADS!?! So you're telling me Kinect 2.0 is going to be watching me and my family and then the Xbox advertises according to who it sees? This must be the advertisement equivalent of Skynet.

We're in for one heck of a ride.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 11:59:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 12:03:25 AM PST
K. Wendt says:
Might be legit, but it might mainly just be rumors and they're hyping it to get more sales for one of their last issues to go out on a high note. Either way, not interested. I'm going to be sticking with what I have for a while.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:03:37 AM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>We're in for one heck of a ride.<<

lol, you could say that again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:12:15 AM PST
Jawwaad says:

Jawwaad informs Mr. NinZendo has been Ninja'd

http://www.amazon.com/forum/video%20games/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1T1DM93QU4XL1&cdThread=Tx2XM60DQVZEWTS

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:12:15 AM PST
K. Wendt says:
As far as the snooping goes, that's BS. My friend suggested flipping off and mooning them. :P

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:15:22 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:00 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:51:42 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
I wouldn't mind if they did what Apple does. Just give it name "Xbox" and just release them as "1st gen, 2nd gen," etc.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 4:21:31 AM PST
coasteryder says:
Most people call the Xbox 360 "Xbox" anyway so I think they would be fine just calling it Xbox. Personally I think they should just go with Xbox 3, but Xbox would work.

As far as using the Kinect 2.0 to monitor who is watching TV. I doubt that will ever happen. People are not going to stand for being watched while they are in their living room. The console would never sell once word got out.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:05:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 9:31:25 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Don't car companies usually add a year into it? Example: "2013 Ford Mustang". So yeah, in a sense the name does change with each iteration of a car's model.

Secondly Nintendo was blasted for keeping the "DS" and "Wii" in the names of their new machines, citing that it would cause consumer confusion. Calling this Xbox when there's already an Xbox would confuse some.

Furthermore, the 360 title was reported to have been chosen due to the PS3 coming the following year. MS didn't want their new unit to seem inferior to Sony's as "Xbox 2" would sound much less than PS3.
So their marketing team came up with "360" to even the odds in the consumer's eyes.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:18:13 AM PST
I don't think they'd ever go with "Xbox 3."

People are stupid, and if they see "Xbox 3" sitting next to "PlayStation 4," they'll think the PS4 is "newer" even if they come out on the same day. That's why magazines come from a month in the future, so people will think they're "new" all month.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:24:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:27:31 AM PST
Microsoft will never call it XBox 3 - even if that makes the most sense to gamers. The big problem is that the next Playstation is very likely to be called PlayStation 4 - which makes the MS system sound inferior from day 1.

This is exactly why they chose "360" - they needed a number that sounds competative to PS3.

edit: wow - double ninja'd by Mogwai & Ninzendo

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:32:38 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I think they should call it the Super Xbox.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:22:17 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
I think they should call it the Rip Off.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:24:52 AM PST
I think they should call it the "Non-upgradeable PC Box." Complete with Windows 8 and controlled by Kinect instead of a touch screen.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:26:04 AM PST
Waldo says:
anal beads

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:27:55 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
8 GB Ram - BS
Quad Core Processor - maybe
Kinect 2.0 - who cares
Blu-Ray Drive - BS
Directional audio - ? lol
TV output and input - ? lol
New "Innovative" controller - WHY?!?! Keep the CONTROLLER. Just add little fixes to it.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:31:36 AM PST
Waldo says:
8 GB Ram - BS
Quad Core Processor - maybe
Kinect 2.0 - who cares
Blu-Ray Drive - BS
Directional audio - ? lol
TV output and input - ? lol
anal beads - ?

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:44:29 AM PST
Mallrat says:
There is no way this thing retails for $300.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:24:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 9:24:52 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Which is exactly my point. The 8 GB Ram alone throws this up to $350-$450. Let alone when you add a Quad-core processor, a Blu Ray Drive and Kinect 2.0 right out of the box.

People think this will be cheap, but they need to keep in mind that Kinect 1.0 launched at $150 - so conversely, there's no conceivable way it's sequel will cost any less.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:25:53 AM PST
$299 with a 2-year contract is very possible. $499 without.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:29:55 AM PST
Mallrat says:
Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised at a $500 price tag. Well worth it in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:34:05 AM PST
8GB RAM doesn't cost much, though. Why would that raise the price by a significant amount? You can get 8GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM for about $30, and that's for individual consumers, not mass.

RAM shouldn't drive up the price of the console. Neither should a CPU, really. A moderate quad-core today costs about the same or less than a dual-core in 2005.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:37:50 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
I'm not all smiles when it comes to contracts, especially when said contract has paying more than the upfront price by the time it expires. I say $499 for premium SKU and no higher, just so long as it does not repeat the PS3 and doesn't stray into Ipad territory, I'm cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:40:03 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they usually modify street parts to their own specifications, resulting in a price change from the base/standard shelf model?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions